On Demand Water Heaters.

Started by Redoverfarm, March 10, 2014, 08:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

I am considering installing an Electric on demand Hot Water Heater in the apartment.  Anyone have an experience with one.  Since it will probably not be used that often it seems to be the best alternative vs. a tank water heater.  Any Pro/Cons if you have installed one and if so was there any research on the most reliable brand?

Most discussed here previously were propane fired.  I really don't want to go this route which would necessitate the installation of a tank and venting of the exhaust for what I consider limited useage.   

MountainDon

Hmmm.  They use Large amounts of power; needs a big service.  Other than that no downside I know of. Cost vs a water tank style which would be off most of the time.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MountainDon on March 10, 2014, 09:28:02 AM
Hmmm.  They use Large amounts of power; needs a big service.  Other than that no downside I know of. Cost vs a water tank style which would be off most of the time.

Don when you say that are you referring to demanding power when the unit is on vs.storage in a standazrd tank heater where there is reserve hot water.  I am not familar but would the elements require more amps than a convientional 2 element tank heater?

MountainDon

The smallest one I saw at Lowes one day had 9000 watts and many were double and triple that

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MountainDon on March 10, 2014, 10:01:49 AM
The smallest one I saw at Lowes one day had 9000 watts and many were double and triple that

Just shopping around and HD had a Rheem which was reasonably priced but it was a 13KW.  I see what you are saying now.  That would probably exceed what power I have available on a 100 amp sub panel w/ range and other appliances.  I guess I could do as I do at the cabin and just shut the tanked heater off on those times that are not anticipated to be used.   Sometimes a good idea is not really a good idea if it doesn't work.  d*

tommytebco

In Mexico, they use little (6 gal.) water heaters in apartments I have rented. The landlord insisted on turning it off  (with religious fervor) except for shortly before use. With a 15 minute lead time it was never a problem having a comfortable warm shower.

At the Walden Effect (http://www.waldeneffect.org/) they just installed a water heater recently  and only turn it on for use, without problems (they were heating water on the wood stove).

It should be no problem to just turn it off until the guests arrive.

ChuckinVa

John, I can't tell you how many times electricians have told me how surprised they were by the load of these electric on demand water heaters. That plus your split system would probably be more load than you have service available. 60 amps for a 12-13 KW water heater plus the heat pump units. Is the garage and work shop on the same service or is it separate from the apartment ?
CHUCK
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Redoverfarm

Quote from: ChuckinVa on March 15, 2014, 09:43:58 AM
John, I can't tell you how many times electricians have told me how surprised they were by the load of these electric on demand water heaters. That plus your split system would probably be more load than you have service available. 60 amps for a 12-13 KW water heater plus the heat pump units. Is the garage and work shop on the same service or is it separate from the apartment ?
CHUCK

Chuck I pretty well talked myself out of it about as fast if not faster than I talked myself into considering it.  d*    It would be too much for no more service than I have.  I believe I have opted for a small tank unit.  May even set it behind the kneewall closer to the draw location.  Don't need any big as it will probably be used very little.  The apartment is not really considered permanent residence but occassional maybe even overflow from the cabin.

ChuckinVa

Quote from: Redoverfarm on March 15, 2014, 11:00:19 AM
Chuck I pretty well talked myself out of it about as fast if not faster than I talked myself into considering it.  d*    It would be too much for no more service than I have.  I believe I have opted for a small tank unit.  May even set it behind the kneewall closer to the draw location.  Don't need any big as it will probably be used very little.  The apartment is not really considered permanent residence but occassional maybe even overflow from the cabin.

I don't need a lot of water when I shower so that should be fine.

;D
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Dave Sparks

Quote from: Redoverfarm on March 15, 2014, 11:00:19 AM

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GREE-Ultra-Efficient-12-000-BTU-1-Ton-Ductless-Duct-Free-Mini-Split-Air-Conditioner-with-Inverter-Heat-Remote-208-230V-GWH12TB-D3DNA1A/204062246?N=5yc1vZc4m1Zbwo5oZ1z10dqcZ1z12bw3

John,
you pm'd me on heat pumps and I thought I'd ask if you looked at home depot? Here is one with high SEER and decent price. The lower SEER units are cheaper.  --Dave

and this one also
https://www.goductless.com/LG-Air-Conditioners/LS120HYV-12K-BTU-26-SEER-Ductless-Heat-Pump-Air-Conditioner/29542.ac?catId=cat6091&mainCat=cat6102&subCat=&trail=24442:26.00
"we go where the power lines don't"

Redoverfarm

Dave thanks for thinking about me.  I think I found what I need.  I will be getting double of what I was quoted by the HVAC Contractor.  I had been considering 4 air handlers ( 2 for the apartment & 2 for the garage & shop).  But when he quoted me the installed price of just 2 -9,000 units I about fell over.  But I went shopping on line and found these.  Only problem is with the apartment is that I will have to get a "floor" standing exchanger because of the ceiling design( attic truss).  I can use the other two wall units in the garage and shop (9'ceilings).  I believe this unit is a 18 SEER which is pretty good.  Again Thanks

http://www.younits.com/slim-quad-zone-991212-4b36na-wall-heat-pump-seer-42000-p-3887.html

http://www.younits.com/slim-ka09na-floor-ductless-indoor-unit-handler-9000-p-4808.html

John

Dave Sparks

I added the LG in my previous post. 25 and up SEER is state of the art now and the 18 SEER units are good but my old Sanyo now Panasonic was an 18 SEER.  Depending on your cost for power it can be worth paying more. The 9,000 BTU units are amazing and you can undersize them and just run them longer. Get ahead of the room heating  is a strategy I use for my offgrid folks.  Most cooling is sized for someone who comes home to a hot house and wants it cool in 20 minutes. An expensive and energy intensive strategy. Good Luck !

https://www.goductless.com/LG-Air-Conditioners/LS120HYV-12K-BTU-26-SEER-Ductless-Heat-Pump-Air-Conditioner/29542.ac?catId=cat6091&mainCat=cat6102&subCat=&trail=24442:26.00

"we go where the power lines don't"