14 x 24 Olympic Peninsula

Started by considerations, May 06, 2008, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

considerations

Yes, that is a pic of me, awhile back.  I used to go to rendezvous all the time.  That particular photo I think was taken at Winter Bend, in southeastern Oregon....likely in February 1994.  I don't see that exact reflection in the mirror any more...The mirror has aged some.  ::).

Anyway, still have the "stuff", but haven't gone for several years. Most of it has found its way into my life style, I think it would take several days to reassemble a "kit".  Still, it is fun to schlep around the house in the buckskins and set up the lodge in the summer just to camp on the property. sigh. 

OlJarhead

Quote from: considerations on November 11, 2010, 01:19:24 PM
Yes, that is a pic of me, awhile back.  I used to go to rendezvous all the time.  That particular photo I think was taken at Winter Bend, in southeastern Oregon....likely in February 1994.  I don't see that exact reflection in the mirror any more...The mirror has aged some.  ::).

Anyway, still have the "stuff", but haven't gone for several years. Most of it has found its way into my life style, I think it would take several days to reassemble a "kit".  Still, it is fun to schlep around the house in the buckskins and set up the lodge in the summer just to camp on the property. sigh. 

Black Powder?  There was (and likely still is) a great even down just north of Grants Pass at the range.  I bought a very nicely made cross draw holster for my old cap and ball colt.  I still have the holster (some amazing craftsmanship there) but a different cap and ball....though I haven't shot it in forever.

Anyway, cool :)  I took my kids back in 1995 or 1996 and they loved it too -- specially the cannon shoot!

considerations

The only black powder items I have are a couple replicas, a 31 and a 36 both "Colt" pocket pistols.  I rode with a Civil War cavalry unit before I discovered rondys.  I never acquired any shot for them, they were the "play" pistols, and I never wanted to make the sickening error of bringing them loaded with live ammo (ball shot) to a public event.   So right now they are just "pretty noisemakers". 

I pulled them out and cleaned them up the other day, contemplating what value they may have in my current lifestyle.  From a practical standpoint one spends about 10 or 20 seconds emptying the chambers and 5 or so minutes to reload.  And I have no idea of their actual accuracy, never having loaded them with any more than powder, grease, and floral foam.   

At rondys I got to use a few firearms, very different from modern shooting.

OlJarhead

Quote from: considerations on November 21, 2010, 04:20:53 PM
The only black powder items I have are a couple replicas, a 31 and a 36 both "Colt" pocket pistols.  I rode with a Civil War cavalry unit before I discovered rondys.  I never acquired any shot for them, they were the "play" pistols, and I never wanted to make the sickening error of bringing them loaded with live ammo (ball shot) to a public event.   So right now they are just "pretty noisemakers". 

I pulled them out and cleaned them up the other day, contemplating what value they may have in my current lifestyle.  From a practical standpoint one spends about 10 or 20 seconds emptying the chambers and 5 or so minutes to reload.  And I have no idea of their actual accuracy, never having loaded them with any more than powder, grease, and floral foam.   

At rondys I got to use a few firearms, very different from modern shooting.

Ahhh I love the smell of black powder in the morning!  Or anytime for that matter.

The 5 minutes of reloading for a short time shooting was always worth it to me but in large part because of the historical aspect but also because I love to shoot.

As carrying loaded pistols in public, I agree that someone who does not understand the proper use and care of a firearm as well as someone who lacks the training of same should probably not do so.  However, as a Marine and Soldier I carry and have carried for many years.  But then, the police carry also and frankly, they have less training then I do ;)

Anyway, it sounds like you had a good time and those pistols might be of value to you some day.  One never knows ;)  Put them in the food stores and save for a rainy day!

Erik

considerations

"Ahhh I love the smell of black powder in the morning!"

Hmmmm...for me, I'm afraid its the smell of hot coffee.  Improves the aim.

OlJarhead

Quote from: considerations on November 28, 2010, 01:18:33 PM
"Ahhh I love the smell of black powder in the morning!"

Hmmmm...for me, I'm afraid its the smell of hot coffee.  Improves the aim.

hahaha well the life blood of old marines and soldiers is coffee!

considerations

Well, I'm playing with the big dogs now!

I started out with a ridiculously noisy 5000 watt generator, and was just wasting gas because I was using so little of the 5Kw and there is no way to turn that gen to an "on demand" mode.  When I wised up, I got a Honda 1000 watt gen and found it kept my 24' 5th wheel running just fine.  Plus my neighbors breathed a big sigh of relief because the Honda is so quiet. 

This was in conjunction with a pair of 160 (or so) watt solar panels, a small (300 watt) inverter, and 2 -6volt batteries.  That was about 4 years ago. 

I just acquired another Honda eu1000i, the same model as the other - and can run them in tandem for charging the battery bank, which is now 8 - 6 volt batteries hooked up to act like 4 - 12 volt batteries.

Things I really like about running the 2 gens in tandem is swift battery charging and being able to use appliances that need more than 900 watts to run. 

But the best part about having 2 is that if one gen needs to be serviced, I can still run things just fine with a single gen, just don't use the larger appliances. 

It is my new "self-insurance" policy that reasonably assures some form of power no matter what happens.

Finally, some substantive progress!

MountainDon

The little Hondas do seem pricey compared to the big cheapy ones that can be found everywhere, but they are super generators. Yamaha also has some inverter generators that are similar.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

Ok so today is the day I start setting this place up with plumbing infrastructure.  The water line ending at the house perimeter is just too much to bear.  Course it had to be the day I wake up to a foot of snow on the ground!  c*  Anyhow, the plan is pretty simple, thank heavens for small houses and PEX.  I got brass fittings, thinking them more durable than plastic.  Think I'll just get the indoor parts laid out today.  A new chapter in this little adventure.

texasgun

Used brass fittings on mine for the same reason figured in case they freeze brass will survive where the plastic would be questionable they say the pex will survive a freeze. What brand did tou use ? I used apallo as seen in my thread and it was pretty easy I really liked the pro crimp rings with the plastic stop since they took all the guess work out of where to place the ring. Good luck. [cool]
WEST TEXAS

considerations

"What brand did tou use ?"  They have PEXZ embossed on them with additional code numbers that are unintelligible to me, I assume that PEXZ is the brand.  ???

considerations

So, I have the incoming PEX waterlines done for the ground floor.  There is a little sink I want to plumb into the loft and as with all plumbing jobs I've ever tried, I need another trip to the store.  >:(   

I'm a long way from turning an interior faucet and having any water come out, but the wheels of progress are again rolling.

Redoverfarm

There is no doubt in my mind that you will get this finished.  ;D

considerations

Thanks... I have, even with no water to the house, purchased and am using (drum roll.....) a new washing machine! I sold my house sized washer and electric dryer because I knew they were physically too large and used too much power for this place. With the cabin layout I chose, either the washing machine or the shower was going to have to be smaller than normal, and well, I don't have to climb into the washer every day.  So, after some serious research I found a washer that fits the space and my needs.

So, now after using it for a few months, NOT having to go to the laundromat except for big rugs etc, and not having broken it or had it just spontaneously break down, I can tell you all that this little gem uses 220 watts to get moving and spin, and about 100 watts to wash, and 7.5 gallons per load.  And, its big enough to reasonably keep up with what I get dirty.  I've no hot water to use in it yet, but the cloths are coming clean.  Its about the size of an apartment sized fridge, and is common in big cities where people live in little tiny apartments.  Anyway, another way to manage power usage, without giving up modern convenience. 

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Very neat looking washing machine and efficient too.

I also have faith in your building, plumbing and other abilities.  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

Hate to say it, but its a Haier.  Much better reviews than any US model even remotely similar and at 1/3 the price. They come in different sizes, this one is probably the smallest.

Similar to a more normal sized machine it has 3 water levels, although its hard to imagine what would prompt the need to use the medium or low. Those would be very tiny loads.  Choice of heavy, normal or delicate wash cycles, as well as just rinse and spin or just spin.
It has a stainless steel drum.  A normal load with the high water setting takes about 20 minutes, heavy duty about 30.

No agitator.  The wash cycle gets the drum spinning one way and then waits for the inertia to diminish, then gets it going the other way.  The spin cycle is in increments, spins for 10 or 15 seconds then disengages to pump the water out of the machine, repeats this several times until the last spin, which is much longer.  Beeps if it gets out of balance, but with small loads its easy to rearrange the clothes.

We'll see about longevity, but the reviews seemed to indicate that it could last for years.  I roll it out onto the porch to use it, as functioning indoor plumbing is still pending, but store it in the cabin. 

A couple pair of jeans, attendant socks, undies and a tee shirt or so is a load.  This works for me as I have a large drying rack in the loft which will hold 2 loads and in the winter the dry time is about 24 hours.   

A queen sheet set is a load, unless they are flannel, then it's two.

I was a little skeptical that such a small unit could do what i needed, my jeans get pretty dirty working outside around here.  I suppose I've been culturally trained that bigger is inherently better.

The first several times I used it I just sat and watched the cycles through the lid.. Hill billy TV. 

However, I think that if I don't over load it, and don't store it outside, and just generally use it with care, it will be a useful tool for long enough to pay for itself over the laundromat.

OlJarhead

[cool]  I think I need one of these!  Where did you find it?

MountainDon

considerations

Haier HLP21N 6.6lb Pulsator Washer - The model you reference is the HLP23, which is a little bigger (so I don't know the electrical usage), and has a few more settings, like 4 water levels rather than 3.  Other than that, they are conceptually the same.

I still smile at the water levels thing.  I so far have only used the High water setting, imagining that the low setting might only be good for washing a single pillowcase or hand towel...the machine is quite small.

The HLP21 essentially holds about a cubic foot of dry dirty clothes (12" x 12" x 12"), and the HLP23 you reference advertises having a 1.46 cubic foot capacity.   

The way I found out about the electrical usage was to first contact Haier through their website via email and ask, and then buy the machine through Amazon and verify it with the handy dandy Kill-o-watt. 

considerations

Got the propane wall heater coming, thank you Mountain Don for the specifics on yours. 

MountainDon

I just showed Karen the washer. She is very interested.

We could even run that off our PV system.

considerations

"We could even run that off our PV system"

You are right, I am, with not a stutter or complaint from either the battery bank or a 1000 watt gen.  Its great.  I'm running about 3 loads 2x a week, and that includes the working clothes (outdoor grubbies), and keeps up with the sheets and towels,etc.   

What a relief, I was terminally sick of the laundromat pilgrimages. 

Look around a little, I saw one online today for $177.  Have to pencil in any shipping and/or tax they may want, but I landed mine on the doorstep for less than 200.   The price I saw on the one you referenced was 219...might work out just as well for you. 

Certainly with the inverter/genny set up you have (which i think is about double my capacity) you have a broader range of options.

MountainDon

I'm going to do some online searching in a while. Don't need it till later in spring or early summer. I've almost got the garage cleared out to where the Jeep can fit again. Sort of hate to mess that up by buying it now.  ;D 

We are Amazon Prime customers. ($70 a year for free 2 day shipping on anything amazon themselves ships. No storefronts of others) It's a great deal as I find many things there at a good price to begin with. The $70 annual fee pays off only a few months into the year as a rule. You can also put friends or family on the one plan... 3 extra names I think it was)  .....end of Amazon commercial.

rick91351

Quote from: MountainDon on January 26, 2011, 08:18:41 PM

We are Amazon Prime customers. ($70 a year for free 2 day shipping on anything amazon themselves ships. No storefronts of others) It's a great deal as I find many things there at a good price to begin with. The $70 annual fee pays off only a few months into the year as a rule. You can also put friends or family on the one plan... 3 extra names I think it was)  .....end of Amazon commercial.

Wow I thought I was going to get to turn you in to Mountain Don for spamming then it dawned on me.  I just might give you another chance.  Hey I might be a little slow, but I tell you I did not just fall off the turnip truck yesterday you know. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.