14 x 24 Olympic Peninsula

Started by considerations, May 06, 2008, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

Hey, considerations, glad you're making it ok.  Sometimes what looks like a disaster opens up new vistas...  I gotta remind myself of that sometimes   d*  Glad your mom is better - you will cherish the time you spent helping her & just being with her when she's not around anymore.  My mom has been gone for 12 yrs & I still miss her.  Taking care of my dad for the short time I had will always be there in my mind & heart to draw from whenever I'm missing him.

You are pretty resourceful!  I comment a lot & I'm not actually building much - basically just Glenn's gofer  :D  So feel free to put in your 2 cents worth!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

considerations

Hey Sassy -  the barter stuff has been very interesting. 

I make blackberry liqueur every year...and it looks like I better start cleaning my gallon jars and making bigger batches.  Amazing what has value in this world.  I hardly ever drink and have just made a quart or so each year for sipping and "Blackberries Jubliee", but, at the risk of angering the revenuers (not like I'm actually distilling anything).....well, it seems to be valuable in the barter world. 

Anyway, even the recycle stores around here are now into dickering on prices.  I have another window for the cabin in my cross hairs, as soon as the next invoice gets paid.   I just keep cruising them, there are 3 officially, and the local building supply bone yard makes 4.  Never see any insulation or PEX, but doors, windows, tile, just about anything else is available in some form or another.   

Guess used drywall and waterlines might not be easy to work with anyway.   

As far as helping Mom....The first 3 years of the last 10 included Dad in the mix.  Our relationship was far from perfect, until the very end...but I can say we both did our best, and although I miss him, I have no regrets or "should have dones" hanging around.  My parents gave their all for me the first 18 years of my life, just seems right to reciprocate, plus the "company" is good.   (Growing up a little didn't hurt).

OlJarhead

Quote from: considerations on August 05, 2010, 09:55:11 AM
Yes - I'm still here.  I know, its been forever since I checked in, but things have been well, interesting.  My way of generating income for the last several years has been telecommuting, providing consulting and research services.  The trend in this field has pretty much followed the rest of the economy, so things have been a little "thin".  I've had to focus my attention on generating income from more than one source.

Anyhow, progress on the cabin tapers off as I use up the building materials I'd already purchased...Good thing I had hoarded long term food supplies.  Yag....I'm now pretty comfortable with rotating long term storage foods into the daily diet. 

In some ways this year has been hilarious, and in others a sober look at what a real economic depression could be like.   I am, if nothing else, still willing to experiment with various income generating ventures.  I've mowed lawns (really big ones) and pastures and taken on farm chores for others so they can leave on vacations, etc.  I actually really enjoy it with the weather being so nice, usually I'm chained to a chair in front of a computer as the nice weather marches by.  I've been pleased to be out in the sun and fresh air so much this spring and summer....and little contracts have come along here and there.  So, I have enough...not to make huge strides on the cabin completion, but the bills are paid and some occasional discretionary income. 

Its been a wonderful opportunity to hone my bartering skills as well...I think I do ok in that arena.

I have installed a screen door....wonderful improvement, added a porch to one of the sheds, built a crib for the firewood, etc.

Plus in March I almost lost Mom, she had a major health hiccup....had to call the sisters and get them into town, it was touch and go for a while.  Since then, with her additional diminished physical strength, I've spent time doing more chores for her that are now beyond her capabilities.....in an effort to keep her living "independently".  Things like pressure washing her house and painting the patio, replacing doorbells and.....anyway the list goes on and has gotten a little larger to include things that she used to be able to do.  She'll be 81 in a few days, and a good friend, kind and courteous.  It's time well spent, soon enough I will have plenty of time for myself.

Anyway, that's enough data, suffice it to say I'm doing ok and my little trials and tribs are no more than anyone else experiences at one time or another.   

I appreciate your interest and apologize for not checking in more often....lurked some, but not commented much, mostly because this forum is mainly about progress on building projects....and I haven't made a lot this year, but, I'm one of the lucky ones, no debt.. It would have been a disaster if I'd had a mortgage or any debts at all...whew.

Thanks for popping in and giving us an update.  I'm sorry to hear about the work situation and I'm in the same boat Telecommuter out of work and trying to build a cabin etc)...but like you I've prepped a bit for it (thank god!) so am able to make due.

I hope your mom continues in good health and am happy you have this time with her as well as enough time to do some outdoors stuff!

Erik

considerations

glenn kangiser

That sucks..... [waiting]

Taking out a permit contracts away your rights.  You are free to contract your rights away but I enjoy the fight and no longer ask permission.  Hope they keep that one shelved up there for you.

I realize it's near impossible to get away with in many places but more education on the subject helps. :)

I had another out of town cop refuse to enter my property the other day when my other neighbor told him it was OK to come ask me a a few questions about another neighbor .  He said, "No, not with that sign there, " I was told.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

OlJarhead

Quote from: considerations on August 12, 2010, 09:08:13 AM
Looks like our little window of freedom out here is under scrutiny.  Darn. 

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20100811/news/308119991/building-permit-issue-draws-critics-in-clallam-county

Reading that nonsense makes my eyes bug out and veins start to pop out on my forehead...let me go take something to reduce my exploding blood pressure.

What amazes me is this whole concept of 'we need regulation' -- know WE don't.  If we did, we would have come to you and asked you for some, but by the very nature that we did not do that we've clearly stated 'bugger off'.

OlJarhead

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 12, 2010, 11:32:17 PM
That sucks..... [waiting]

Taking out a permit contracts away your rights.  You are free to contract your rights away but I enjoy the fight and no longer ask permission.  Hope they keep that one shelved up there for you.

I realize it's near impossible to get away with in many places but more education on the subject helps. :)

I had another out of town cop refuse to enter my property the other day when my other neighbor told him it was OK to come ask me a a few questions about another neighbor .  He said, "No, not with that sign there, " I was told.

I followed your link, enjoyed the site but it appears you have to make the sign yourself???

considerations

Sometimes this world astounds me.  Like the county has a surplus of funds to hire enough folks to do more code enforcement. Right.  Like the city people in the planners offices know what it takes to manage a rural property. 

Like its any of their business in the first place.  >:(

I emailed my opinion on the matter to my county council man, and he responded, no really, not a form letter, a real response.  He agrees it was hogwash.  Good. If I wanted to live in a subdivision with covenants, where even outdoor cloths lines are verbotten I would have done so.

'Nuff said.

OlJarhead

Quote from: considerations on August 13, 2010, 09:55:16 PM
Sometimes this world astounds me.  Like the county has a surplus of funds to hire enough folks to do more code enforcement. Right.  Like the city people in the planners offices know what it takes to manage a rural property. 

Like its any of their business in the first place.  >:(

I emailed my opinion on the matter to my county council man, and he responded, no really, not a form letter, a real response.  He agrees it was hogwash.  Good. If I wanted to live in a subdivision with covenants, where even outdoor cloths lines are verbotten I would have done so.

'Nuff said.

Amen and well said!

I wish all Americans would take a step back and realize that more regulations added to even more regulations IS NOT the answer.  Some regulation in certain situations, yes!  Laws, Yes!  but too much regulation becomes oppression.

glenn kangiser

I'm with you.  I have not contracted my rights away by taking out a permit... must be a reason.... [waiting]

I try to manage my rural property well enough to keep them scared to show up on it.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

Oh well, life trudges on.  Get as much as I can grandfathered in (or grandmothered as the case may be) so I can survive any future rule changes.  I'll 'fall down' before these "improvements" will.   c*

considerations

Ok let's talk plumbing.  When I started many of you had great suggestions regarding "framing for dummies" and other helpful books.. How about a "plumbing for the complete idiot" edition, keeping in mind that I have targeted PEX as my weapon of choice.

Time to start acquiring supplies and making plans...

PEG688

Quote from: considerations on August 26, 2010, 12:10:31 AM

Ok let's talk plumbing.  When I started many of you had great suggestions regarding "framing for dummies" and other helpful books.. How about a "plumbing for the complete idiot" edition,

#1:Poop doesn't flow up hill.

#2: Pay day is on Friday.

#3: Don't chew your finger nails.

Good luck , PEG. 

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Pex is pretty easy - like running Romex pretty much allowing a decent amount of room on corners for making the turns.  I am certified in Wirsbo Aquapex - or whatever the new name of it is now - oh yeah - Uponor.  

Many here like the crimper tool better rather than getting certified and using the Uponor system - they are restrictive in only licensing contractors.  That pretty much only affects the ends though.  I think the colored pex may be less bothered by UV also but not sure.  UV from direct sun will destroy Uponor pex in 6 months.  Indirect light- pex covered or taped will protect it.

Dang it PEG... you posted all of the secrets... now she is sure to put a bunch of us out of work.... [waiting]

considerations

Ok smarties  :D If its that easy maybe I should start a second career...plumbers do well.  I might be too fussy to do repairs though, just new construction. erg, just thought of that.  :P

glenn kangiser

From what I've seen so far I don't think you would have a problem... :)

So - what all do you plan to plumb?  What can we be of assistance with? 

considerations

Very very basic. 

1. An on demand water heater.
2. A bathroom sink
3. A shower.
4. A kitchen sink
5. A vanity sink upstairs.

I have all of the above except the downstairs bathroom sink.  I have a wild idea that I can "persuade" a drain hole through a large pottery basin I already use to wash up in.  The plan would be to seal a drain component in the bottom of the basin and set it in a counter. I haven't bought or built the base cab or counter yet, in case I destroy the basin in the process of making a drain hole.

Redoverfarm

consideration you can always use an old dresser, treddle sewing machine cabinet (minus the machine) or any base that would be the apprioate size that you need.  Drill a hole for the drain, supply lines (single lever only requires one hole)and you are set if you want to use it as a vessel sink.  The tricky part would be to bore a hole in the pottery the size needed for the drain pipe.

considerations

Thank you all for the good advice/ideas, or the boot in the backside.... I'll admit I've done little or nothing this year on the cabin.

glenn kangiser

Like me - you get to a certain level of comfort then motivation drops.. [waiting]    :)

or... other fires are bigger. [ouch]

considerations

$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s have been so uncertain this year, I've made it, but to go out on a limb for building supplies has been mostly beyond my comfort zone.    :-\

glenn kangiser

No need to get in a hurry - it's yours,, :)

OlJarhead

Why is it every time I see your profile picture I think of Joni Mitchell?  It isn't her, doesn't even look like her but there must have been a similar artist back in the 70s that took a pose like that...hmmm....you have me thinking...

Anyway, glad to see you're hanging in there and thinking of tackling new projects :D  I find myself wanting to ENJOY what I've built but there is yet so much to do still.

considerations

I know - slow to respond, but there is a lot to do to get ready for winter.....

Oljarhead - every time I walk in this front door, I enjoy how far I've gotten.  Yes, I moved in too soon, but when one has a choice between a roaring propane heater constantly coming on in a 5th wheel that won't stay warm vs. a dried in insulated shell with a fully functional wood stove...well....yes, I do enjoy it.

Joni Mitchell?  I would be Ok with that.  But not. 

OlJarhead

Quote from: considerations on October 18, 2010, 05:17:49 PM
I know - slow to respond, but there is a lot to do to get ready for winter.....

Oljarhead - every time I walk in this front door, I enjoy how far I've gotten.  Yes, I moved in too soon, but when one has a choice between a roaring propane heater constantly coming on in a 5th wheel that won't stay warm vs. a dried in insulated shell with a fully functional wood stove...well....yes, I do enjoy it.

Joni Mitchell?  I would be Ok with that.  But not. 

After I wrote that I looked her up and nope...not even close so I went back to the drawing board and still can't figure out who I was thinking of....is that a picture of You?  Or a singer?  or someone else?