14 x 24 Olympic Peninsula

Started by considerations, May 06, 2008, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppy

Didn't really expect a debate to insue on the raised Franklin fireplace comment.

Perhaps I should have said a little more in my post beyond "heat rising."

My comment came from research on the Rumford fireplace which is designed to be as efficient as possible for radiant heat which is what a fireplace provides for the most part.

A stove provides more than radiant heat; conduction and convection also are involved.  A stove off the floor(or a Franklin fireplace with the doors closed) is basically providing heat in all directions.

A heating device only supplying radiant heat needs to be pointed directly at what you want to heat.  If your sole source of heat in a room is from a fireplace and it is raised then if you are standing or sitting facing the fire, your feet (and your back) will be cold.

A heating source like a forced air furnace system that I have is heating air that is circulated.  Radiant heat hardly comes into play.  BTW, my condo furnace in on the second floor (as Don pointed out) and the first floor ducts are in the ceiling, but again warm air makes it to where I am sitting because it is warmed and then forced.

Believe me, if your heating source is a fireplace on the second floor and there is no forced circulation, you are going to be cold on the first floor.

So my original comment was all about radiant heat.  I want to be able to lie in front of the fireplace on my bear skin rug and feel the heat.  :P  ::)

Redoverfarm

It is tomarrows date.  Got lazy and forgot the 09. 

MountainDon

Yeah, I guess radiant makes all the difference.    :-[ :-[
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

poppy

No need to be embarassed there Don.  I am the one who sent us down the wrong path with the original comment.

Perhaps we need a thread in General about HVAC systems for various cabin configurations in various climates.

And that's the end of my hi-jack.

considerations

I Know! - I change thet subject. 

1 - Can anyone tell me why some people put plastic over their wall insulation before any other wall covering?

2 - Think anyone on the forum would have an interest in a slightly used but pretty much pristine Exeltech XP 250 watt 12 volt inverter and a True charge 20amp Multistage Battery charger in the same condition?  Since I upgraded to a bigger system I don't need them anymore. We used to have a thread for this kind of thing but I haven't found it yet. 

No chiding - I'm still looking

considerations

I found it and posted them on it. Craigslist I've never done before so I'll try here first.

considerations

Cancel the vapor barrier question, I just found John Raabe's link to Vapor Barriers for dummies.....duh d*

considerations

I'm in...as of the first day of winter.  Had to do some hillbilly engineering to make it work but I'm only visiting the 5th wheel for showers and to grab "more stuff".  The computer set up is still a little scattered and the pics are on an external hard drive that I only hook up to in an inconvenient way, so I'll post them whenever. 

I tried my cooler experiment. It failed. I have a mini freezer about the same size as a hotel sized fridge.  The idea was to use a cooler for a fridge by insulating it and swapping out frozen 1/2 gallons of water morning and night.  Well, I couldn't get it to go below 42 degrees F.   That's ok for spuds and onions, etc, but not eggs, meat, etc.  So rather than die  :-[ I acquired a mini fridge, the same size as the freezer.  I had an extra unused breaker box that someone wanted.  The cash from that exactly covered the cost of the mini fridge.  I'll have to keep a close eye on the battery bank, but at least I'll be around to do that. 

The wood stove makes for toasty heat, looking forward to getting a pot crane fabbed for it.  It would make cooking and heating water easier.  There is now no hurry on forward motion, as my contract expired 12/31 and I'm sort of in free fall until I pick up something new.  Life's an adventure.   ::)

Redoverfarm

Sorry to hear about your contract.  Hope you pick up something soon.  In the meantime you can help others here with what you have learned. ;D

MountainDon

Quote from: considerations on January 05, 2010, 06:20:00 PM
Well, I couldn't get it to go below 42 degrees F.   

That is about what we get. We have no shortage of frozen water/ice/snow up at the cabin in the winter. We don't bother running the Servel in winter when we just go up for a short stay. When we arrived last, the fridge interior was 28 degrees. With a couple frozen jugs in there with a few other things the temp slowly rose as the cabin warmed. The last time I looked at the temp it was 41.  We keep some stuff in a pressure cooker pot outside. It has a locking lid in case some animal burglar comes along.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

"That is about what we get."

Yes, and I think that's ok for a weekend where things brought are things used.

considerations

"Sorry to hear about your contract.  Hope you pick up something soon. "

Me too, but I've known for several months and have planned for it....so maybe not free fall, but the glide path is shorter than I'd like.  :D

Redoverfarm

Hopefully you stashed a little jingle to keep you in materials since you have time to complete little projects now.  For those who have more time than money that is not the case. ME ;D

considerations

Saving and building at the same time is hard, but I did it...I should be able to skate for a little while....which does not prevent me from looking for work, just without sweat on my brow.

Right now I'm just making myself comfy:

So I can sew - I owe the kids an anniversary quilt.

Hillbilly kitchen:  (It will be a workbench in one of the sheds when the real cabinets get installed)

Mike 870

Hey, I think I have the same green chair as you.  If it is, isn't it the most comfortable ever!  I've been enjoying following your thread. keep up the good work.

considerations

"Hey, I think I have the same green chair as you.  If it is, isn't it the most comfortable ever!"

I do some of my best work in that chair.....and power sleeping.  I really don't care for the color, but the price was right and I know how to recover it....a nonessential project at this stage.

What i really hate is the computer spaghetti....I will find a way to tidy up those cords, but I'm functional.

gandalfthegrey

Quote from: considerations on January 07, 2010, 11:09:42 AM

What i really hate is the computer spaghetti....I will find a way to tidy up those cords, but I'm functional.

take a lockset drill and cut a 3" hole in the back of that desk and run all of the cables to the back out if your way.
Bad Wolf

Mike 870

Ha ha, lets just say we're not hanging onto it for it's looks.  We got it hand me down from my father in law, and he actually gets excited to come to our house so he can sit in his old chair. 

poppy

Like your "hillbilly" kitchen, but would it really have a modern coffee maker on the counter?  Real hillbillies don't use coffee makers.  ;D

Be sure to show us that quilt when it's done.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: considerations on January 07, 2010, 11:09:42 AM
"Hey, I think I have the same green chair as you.  If it is, isn't it the most comfortable ever!"

I have seen worse spaghetti. Speaking of which where is Glenn?

considerations

"Real hillbillies don't use coffee makers."

I know....and pragmatism prevailed quickly.  After a few mornings trying to do anything (like getting the fire going) so i could perk the coffee, and melting the little "glass" top in the perker, I gave up, went to Goodwill and found a mini drip pot. 

I don't even talk to myself in the morning before coffee.  [crz]

Snapping to chores and getting a fire going in a cold kitchen was more "authenticity" than I found I wanted to engage in before that caffeine fix.   

ScottA

I woulda done the same thing. Is there life before coffee?

considerations

"Is there life before coffee?"

I don't know.  If there is, I don't seem to be participating in it.  c*

poppy

I have a friend whose husband used to insist on freshly ground coffee brewed in a fancy maker.  Now she uses an old perculator that she got at a yard sale.  c*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_HN_3ulO9M&feature=related

glenn kangiser

Computer spaghetti, surely you jest.... that is barely a snack.  I have a pile of wires 2'square and 6 inches deep by my chair.... all UL approved of course...[waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.