Advise on laying down felt on a 12/12 pitch ??

Started by mpls_ham, November 03, 2010, 10:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpls_ham

My next project is to lay felt down on my 14x24.  I'm asking for any advise on the easiest/safest way to get this done short of hiring out. I know I have read some informative threads on this but cannot seem to find them.  Thanks

Scott
Northern Black Hills - South Dakota

Squirl

Sorry I put this to the wrong topic.
A really big ladder.  I did mine with just a big ladder and laid it almost flat against the roof, just not quite angled enough to leave a space.  I then cut the sheet of tar paper on the ground, just a little long.  I then rolled it up and laid it out on the roof, leaving just a little overhang and trimmed the overhang later.  I built my ladder out of 2x12x16's , you could probably do it with a 20-30ft ladder.  Very easy, just a lot of climbing up and down and ladder moving.

dug

On my 12/12 roof I built roof jacks out of scrap OSB and 2 by 8's running the length of the house near the bottom edge of the roof. I don't have a picture pf the felt laying process but you can see the partially assembled deal here.-

I used the top down method, laying the top course first and sliding the next row underneath. with the jacks I could move the ladder easily and using the top down method it wasn't in my way.

I ran a few courses the whole length uninterrupted but it was windy and I was alone so I found it much easier to break them up into about 12 ft. sections. With a decent overlap I don't think it affects the integrity.

There is probably a better way but I was satisfied with the way things went.

ScottA

Get yourself some roof jacks and planks (2x10x 10') to walk on. Thats what I did.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: mpls_ham on November 03, 2010, 10:40:42 AM
My next project is to lay felt down on my 14x24.  I'm asking for any advise on the easiest/safest way to get this done short of hiring out. I know I have read some informative threads on this but cannot seem to find them.  Thanks

Scott

I went with Dug's route as far as laying the top row and then sliding the subsequent rows until I reached the eve.  If you had two sets of roof jacks it makes it much easier.  Leaving the bottom up until the last couple courses.  That way when you take the upper set down to lay the paper on you still have something to work off of.  Didn't really catch whether you are immediately or near future put your finished roof ( metal/shingles).  I might make a suggestion if it is going to be an extended period of time you might consider a synthetic roof underlayment rather than felt.  It will last about 6-8 months and is worth the little extra in cost.

Sourdo

Scaffolding was the only way to go for roofing and siding. And it was affordable to rent. I used it for siding as well.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/hX34ufeccDQGGe858CHN8g?feat=directlink

Good luck and work safe!

Russ

DirtyLittleSecret

Quote from: ScottA on November 03, 2010, 12:08:34 PM
Get yourself some roof jacks and planks (2x10x 10') to walk on. Thats what I did.

Not to digress too much, but I REALLY like how you did the roofing on that...got any more photos?
Roof jacks are a must (and cheap too).  Me, I had a tall fibreglass ladder, rope, and a harness.  Still, it was a sweaty job!
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Sourdo on November 06, 2010, 12:54:16 PM
Scaffolding was the only way to go for roofing and siding. And it was affordable to rent. I used it for siding as well.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/hX34ufeccDQGGe858CHN8g?feat=directlink

Good luck and work safe!

Russ

Although scaffolding is great for siding it is used mostly for a stagging area when doing roofs.  If you use it for the ladder supports I would tie it to the wall to prevent outward forces of a ladder and weight pushing against the scaffolding which is designed for downward or verticle forces rather than horizontal or semi horizontal forces.

mpls_ham

Thanks for all the input! I ended up building a couple A-frame braces to lean up against the cabin and lay a 2x10 across it.  I then built a six foot foot jack (like dugs) and moved that around from the scaffold as needed.  I took Redoverfarms advice and used a synthetic underlayment.  The cost was maybe 30% percent more but it was much lighter and easy to work with.  The biggest pain was the plastic capped nails. I found that a third arm would have been helpful to hang on for dear life while I smashed my finger with the other two.

Scott
Northern Black Hills - South Dakota

cmsilvay

When we did ours it was long ladders sitting in the back of the pickups some ladder brackets and a whole bunch country thinking to roof and paper ours. I also found a used climbing saddle and would tie off to  the other side if I had to walk the roof.
Those plastic caps are great but I do agree they are a PITA Harbour freight has a cheap nailer for them  :)