Homeowners ASSociations Suck!

Started by tjm73, October 29, 2007, 09:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjm73

My GF owns a nice little condo in Rochester, NY. Doen't watch a ton of TV but wants good reception for what she does watch. Cable is $70/month (we have a standing cable monopoly - Time Warner).

Here's the part where I say the HOA she's part of sucks.... they will not allow anyone to put a dish (or any other antenna) on the roof or exterior walls. There is no outside deck or patio that is her exclusive area. So the Federal dish rules don't apply.

The inside antenna is ok at best, but requires constant tweeking to get even an ok picture.

So I've been thinking about solutions. The only one I can come up with is a free standing, self-supporting tower in the back "yard" (it's about 16"x20" in size) that is her's. I found one company that sells kits, but my god they're like $800. Is that the only option? I could design and build one. I have contacts in the metal fabrication world that could get me metal and my brother welds. How tall should a tower be anyway?

Pour a proper concrete base and erect a tower. Put up an tower/antenna and say F'you HOA. My opinon on the whole deal is they are limiting her choice as a consumer to a $70 cable bill or crappy inside antenna. No dish, no roof antenna. It should be illegal for them to do that IMO.  >:(

ScottA

I quit watching TV for those exact reasons + too GD many commercials.

Scott

glenn kangiser

I quit watching TV except incidentally years ago as I couldn't find anything to watch that wouldn't make me stupider than I already was.  There are a few educational things that could be OK but on the net I can at least make my own choice if I wish to indulge in things that will make me stupider and like ScottA, I hate commercials -- especially stupid ones.. :-/ :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

tjm73

I watch about 3-4 hours per week (and I don't mind missing it if I can't watch it for some reason). She watches maybe 2 more hours than I do. But she wants a good reception for what she does watch and I want her to have that becaseu it would be one little thing to make her smile.

She records almost everything and fast forwards through the commercials.  :D

I'm trying to think of a realitivly inexpensive way to deliver that. One year of cable is over $900 with a DVR cable box included. WAYYYYYY to much in both our opinions.

MikeT

Lots of places for comment here:

There is a homeowners association here in Oregon that is prohibiting a resident for drying her laundry on a line in the backyard.  I am following most of the CC&Rs (codes, covenants, and restrictions) where am building on the Oregon Coast, but I am also noting the lack of enforcement on some of the other owners' properties in case someone gets uppity with me.   I think that CC&Rs are like copyright or trademarks--if you do not enforce them, they are worthless.

As to the cable rates, I have Comcast here in Portland, and to save money, we opted for the most basic, basic package.  That was originally $20 bucks a month.  We don't get ESPN, CNN, etc, but we do get the local stations, CSPAN and lots and lots of shopping channels and religious channels.  Perhaps if you inquire about the cheapest, most basic option, you will find something other than that hefty monthly fee.

Then again, if you are getting high speed internet, that has to come from somewhere, and we bundle that with our cable provider and save (?) a bit over what it would be if we purchased them separately.

As to the antennae for dish network, I will leave it to the others to identify creative solutions.

glenn kangiser

No way to install a dish inside a window?

...and was that 16 feet x 20 feet of yard?

I think dishes only need line of sight but that could be hard to get.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

tjm73

QuoteNo way to install a dish inside a window?

...and was that 16 feet x 20 feet of yard?

I think dishes only need line of sight but that could be hard to get.

Big tall trees to the South. Bad line of site to the needed sky from any south window. Can't install anything inside (she would not go for that) anyway. Can't hang it out the window either as that's against the HOA policy too. I read it closely looking for a loophole. Only noted no mention what-so-ever about the back yard.

Yeah. My bad 16 feet by 20 feet.....maybe...if it's that big.

You can get what I call super-basic cable (channels 2-19) for like $10/month. But the only channels it includes that she cares about, she can get over the air for free. I don't think she should be forced to pay $10/month for a clear picture. She'l be there for at least another 6-7 years. At $120 a year for 7 years that's $840 bucks just to haev a clear picture.  :o

MountainDon

I thought the FCC rules were very specific about restrictions regarding the receiving of signals, over the air, satellite, whatever. Safety restrictions are allowed however. There are also some ifs ands and buts though.

Re: the antenna... go to  http://www.solidsignal.com/antenna_selector.asp   and fill out the form. I used them for advice on the best antenna for our home. I only have over the air broadcast channels and we are happy enough with that.

FCC rules at   http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html   but you probably already know that. FYI, for others.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Am I right to assume that she does not own any of the exterior, walls, roof, etc? That would be like the condos we own and rent. We only own from the interior wall paint in.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

desdawg

I have never thought I could handle living with an HOA. Too many rules for an antisocialite. City people are a strange group. they do everything in lines. Stand in line, sit in line, drive in line, wait in line. If they aren't in a line somewhere they think something is wrong. Then after a hard day of being in line they grab a little dinner and go to a committee meeting somewhere to write rules to make their neighbors more acceptable. Just doesn't sound like my kind of thing at all.
Satellite TV may wind up being as expensive as the cable company if you want much of a selection. I hate watching advertising. Then on the other hand they are always offering special deals to entice the new customer into the fold. Of course they want a long term committment. Good luck!
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

You forgot line dancing, desdawg.  They even dance in lines. :o

desdawg

See, they have so many ways to be in line I don't even know them all. Thank goodness.  ;)
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

MountainDon

QuoteCity people are a strange group. they do everything in lines. Stand in line, sit in line, drive in line, wait in line.  
I've always been one to try and find ways to circumvent the lines, looking for maybe not the shortest line, but the line that looked the most promising, fewer items in the basket, whatever. But I get skewered at times by items without the SKU or the like.  >:(

firefox

There is a very easy solution to this mess. It is what we do, since we can't stand the comercials
and we don't want to waste a lot of time messing around with trying to record and edit ing the comercials out. It's simple, just subscribe to Netflicks. (no connection to them other than we use their service) They have a variety of plans so you can adjust to your needs, and there are no late fees. You do need a computer or dvd display system though. We think it is great and the program selection is pretty broad. For example, things like "Star Trek", "CSI Miami" , "Wonder Woman",
You name it they have it.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

n74tg

Amen to the Netflix idea.  Just about anything you can imagine is available there.  
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

Redoverfarm

Well since we are on the subject. I have Directv and the only reason well actually two is that there is no local reception where I live and the other are children.  I know I wish I could wean them of it but it is not as easy as it sounds. Anyway they only watch the Disney channel and dad only watches the eductional channels.  When I first subscribed I only got the basic package which then was $19. Over the years it has escalated to $39. I realize inflation is one thing but they actually dropped several channels from that basic package when they raised the rates. I think 3 or 4 times in the last 12 years.

Yeah I wrote to the state authority (attorney general) and they did look into it but the original and subsequent agreement states that they "have the right to change the channels on the program package" . I am no dummy(don't think) but change to me means to trade something for something else. Maybe I am thinking exchange.  

Well I guess I fall into a catch 22 as far as the programing just to be in a location with fresh air and the mountains. Can't get high speed either and there are no cell phones.  God you have to love the "Wild and Wonderful".

Pritch

TJM,

Here are a couple of "outside the box" ideas for you:

First, maybe you can set up dish service with a DVR at work or somewhere else, then just copy to disc and watch at home.  It is my understanding that some Tivo/DVRs out there have a copy to disc function.  I don't believe this would be violating copyright laws as long as you weren't making additional copies for others that were not paying for the sattelite service.  

Second, check if the shows your girlfriend likes are available on the network's website.  This season, a lot of network programming is available free to watch right after it broadcasts over the air.  Kind nice if you miss an episode of a show you like.  

Of course, there is always the DVD rental route, but for original programming, it means she will always be a season behind.  (That's the kind of business I'm in, but it is a nieche market that probably wouldn't appeal to her.)  

Be careful about just going ahead and doing whatever you want despite the HOA's rules.  Not only can they force ompliance or remediation, at your girlfriend's expense, they can slap a lien on her condo to boot.  (To be fair, she should have known going in what she was getting herself in for.)  

It's too bad builders haven't embraced satellite dishes into their designs.  It seems to me that they could be concealed into cute little cupollas so as to not detract from the asthetics of 7000 identical units.   ::)
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

tjm73

The HOA agreement states nothing can be attached tothe exterior walls, hung from windows or places on the roof. No mention of the small plot of Earth that she owns as a part of the owernership of her unit. She is free to deveolp it into a garden or what ever. The only concern there that I can think of is.......

A.) Where do the utilities enter/exit the structure?
B.) Some power lines run down the area and what are the associated right of way limitations?

Assuming those two are work with-able, erecting a tower, as long as it meets city code should be legal and since nothing states you can't the HOA can't say anythignt o stop the build.

MountainDon

Check on the height restrictions for a tower... condo and/or city. Locally here there's a 30 ft. city regulated limit.

Redoverfarm

Don Like the look. Did you get alot of sweets?

peter nap

I think Don made his OWN tanning booth out of recycled toaster ovens! ;D ;D ;)

tjm73

So I found this link http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx and it tells me my GF's house is only 1.6 miles from the broadcast towers for all the major channels we care about. Rabbit ears don't work very well and a survey of the back yard shows a free standing tower won't work either.

So I started reading about attic mounted antennas. This might work. Anyone know anything about this?

MountainDon

I used to have an attic mounted antenna. The reception was pretty good with the broadcast towers about 17 miles distant on a mountain peak 5000+ feet higher. When we replaced the roofing with metal reception went down the tubes.

Moving the same antenna to the roof peak on a short 4 foot mast improved the signal to where it was better than the antenna in the attic ever was.

So, I'd say IF you are allowed access to the attic, install the antenna there. Unless the roof is metal.

tjm73

QuoteI used to have an attic mounted antenna. The reception was pretty good with the broadcast towers about 17 miles distant on a mountain peak 5000+ feet higher. When we replaced the roofing with metal reception went down the tubes.

Moving the same antenna to the roof peak on a short 4 foot mast improved the signal to where it was better than the antenna in the attic ever was.

So, I'd say IF you are allowed access to the attic, install the antenna there. Unless the roof is metal.

Attic access is hers and the roof is regular old asphult (sp?) shingle type. If it weren't for the trees I could look at the towers from the front bedroom window. I think this is the best option.

New question now is how do I choose an antenna for this application? Kinda like this and think it should fit....

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103085&cp=2032057.2032187.2032189.2032205&parentPage=family

MountainDon

That antenna is probably overkill. I have a slightly smaller, shorter with fewer elements, antenna and I'm about 10X farther away from the broadcast towers. Although having tress in the way may degrade the signal a little.  :-/  If you can get it into the attic and unfold it it should be fine. Be certain to ground the coax cable using a coax grounding block.

Did you try the Solid Signal website for a recommendation on the antenna?

http://www.solidsignal.com/antenna_selector.asp