Country Plans Forum Members as Family

Started by MountainDon, February 19, 2010, 12:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

In many ways the Country Plans Forum is like an extension of my family. I don't agree with everything my relatives believe in and the same thing happens here. But I love my family anyhow. In a similar manner I may disagree with some views presented here, but at the end of the day it comes down to everyone having the right to express their beliefs and receiving respect as a human being from the others.

I look forward to helping folks here with their projects as much as I enjoy the various other topics here. Actually I likely agree with more folks here on some topics than I do with some family members. As well as the building projects areas many of us enjoy the off topics area. One of the things I have enjoyed here is that topic drift is not only permitted, at times we seem to have try to see who was going to be the first to initiate drift. We also share a variety of interests with no direct relationship to building. Things like food, cooking, gardening, humor, firearms and politics come to mind. If the members here are not real family, they are at the very least real friends. Some of us have shared personal details from the mundane to more serious health problems and the concerns and difficulties they have caused.

In April I will be having surgery to remove a tumor in my mandible. More correctly, the surgeons will be removing a section of my mandible in order to remove the tumor. This is the 4th recurrence for this tumor. Previous less invasive treatments have not resulted in long term success. So I'm going to get a titanium plate, screws and a piece cadaver bone to replace the offending area. I am more concerned and nervous about this procedure than any of the previous four surgeries.

I have a pair of surgeons who are experts at this. Everyone I know in the medical field reassures me that this is not that big a deal. Rational thought tells me I should believe them. Logic states that I should be happy that there is a cure. The prospect still worries me a great deal. Maybe sharing this will help.

Thanks for listening.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

MD thanks for sharing.  I knew something was up a short while ago - something you wrote or just a feeling I had.  Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Keep us posted and I completely understand your concerns. 

rlr
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

I hope all goes well, Don. 

As you, I look upon all here as extended family.

I know I will always find support here or just someone who will want to argue with me, or who will be a good sport and take a view that opposes mine .... even if they are wrong... [waiting]   :)

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

muldoon

Don,

I also view this place as family oddly enough,  keep your chin up about your upcoming surgery, it ain't the 1950's anymore.  Medicine has come long way, your going to be great.   We'll all be saying a prayer for you. 

eddiescabin

MD, Im fairly new here but have had more than my share of go-rounds with the Dr's.  Try to relax, trust the Doc's, ...basically think good thoughts.  You'll be in our prayers.

RainDog

Sorry to hear about your problem, and hope the procedure goes smoothly. Anyone in their right mind worries before surgery, so there's nothing wrong with that.

Think of the upside. You'll have new folks very interested in you as a person, and wanting to know more about you...

Every time you walk through a metal detector.

NE OK

Redoverfarm

Hope all goes well Don. Make sure you let us know how everything turns out. 

ScottA

fishing_guy

You have our prayers...and you do have the right outlook on life.

Good luck!

And you're right, I do consider you family!
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

diyfrank

Sorry to here of your troubles. It seems tumors are getting quite common now days.
It's good that your our Doc feels confident this will get it all.

Hoping for the best and Thank for sharing.
Home is where you make it

peternap

Yes Don, we are family. THis is the one place I come when I don't want to fight or listen to idiots.

Sorry for the health problems but you seem to be in good hands. Prayers are already sent and will continue to be. Please keep us up on your progress.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

StinkerBell

NM_Shooter

Don, I am right around the corner... don't hesitate to ask for help with anything!  I'll pray for a quick recovery!  Please keep us all posted.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

John Raabe

My very best wishes to brother Don. You have helped so many people here. So if there is power in the thoughts and prayers of our members you should have some massive background support through this operation.

On the upside, with a titanium mandible you may soon be able to crack walnuts. :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

poppy

Don, since we are the same age, it hits me pretty hard when one of my "class mates" has trouble.

Any day that I miss checking in here is a day that I miss out on something.

I always look forward to reading what you have to say and will continue to look for your wisdom and experience.

I consider this place a group of friends, because I choose to be here.  One can choose one's friends, not so with family.

Good luck to you and yours.

NM_Shooter

Quote from: MountainDon on February 19, 2010, 12:49:38 AM

I have a pair of surgeons who are experts at this. Everyone I know in the medical field reassures me that this is not that big a deal. Rational thought tells me I should believe them. Logic states that I should be happy that there is a cure.

Focus on that paragraph Don! 

Get some exercise between now and the surgery.  Try to rest and have some fun.  Get your mind off of the surgery if you can. 

We'll celebrate at Rudy's after your recovery... my treat!  Heck, I'll even spring for dessert!
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Squirl

I am not usually very good a responses to bad news.  I hope for the best for you and you will be in my prayers.

firefox

You ARE right, you ARE family!
Good luck from an old Marine.
Just remember, the metal parts
last longer ;D
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

MushCreek

Titanium?! You might be too good for us once you get all fancied up with space-age metal. You'll be in my prayers that all goes smoothly!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Sassy

Yep, you're family...  :)  my prayers & thoughts are with you. 

Having had surgery last March, I have to say, everything went splendidly well!  It's amazing what medicine can do now...

Hey, you'll be on your way to being the bionic man!   ;D
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

peternap

You know Don, I have a friend that's a nurse at the VA and she gives me all the surplus parts they have (I don't ask). Lots are good for knife handle pieces.

I keep a few of the hips and knees in case I need one one day.

Sassy may be able to get you a Jaw and you can save a bundle doing it yourself. :-\
(Just don't get one of the Senate models. You don't want the Jawbone of an....Donkey)
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

RainDog

Quote from: peternap on February 19, 2010, 07:56:47 PM
You know Don, I have a friend that's a nurse at the VA and she gives me all the surplus parts they have (I don't ask). Lots are good for knife handle pieces.

I keep a few of the hips and knees in case I need one one day.

Sassy may be able to get you a Jaw and you can save a bundle doing it yourself. :-\
(Just don't get one of the Senate models. You don't want the Jawbone of an....Donkey)

DIY surgery! Excellent choice! Bottle of Jack and some kitchen utensils in front of the bathroom mirror! If it works out you could maybe start doin' it under the table for other folks. Earn a little extra spendin' money. "MountainDon's Chainsaw Repair and Brain Surgery Center".  :D
NE OK

MountainDon

Wow! Thanks for all the loving words and the laughs.  :) :)

The technical side of me finds the process rather fascinating. It's the other side that worries a lot.

FYI, they will make a 1:1 model of my mandible using data from the CT scan. They use the model to make and shape the titanium plate before we ever set foot in the OR.

The first thing in the OP they will do is remove 60 CC or so of marrow from my right posterior hip. Then they will roll me over onto my back and make the incision along the jaw line to expose the mandible. They will fit the titanium plate to the mandible, install the screws and everything. Once satisfied with the fit they remove the plate and set it aside. Then they will resect the mandible. A doner cadaver mandible is used to supply a section to implant. That section is then hollowed out to render a shell. My marrow is packed into it. I'm not certain if the bone is inserted into the mandible first and then filled with marrow or what. The titanium plate is then reinstalled and everything sewn up. He says I should be feeling pretty good in 10 days to two weeks.

I've done some research on my head surgeon. Dr. Mitchell is an oral maxillofacial surgeon with over 25 years of maxilofacial surgical experience. Dr. Mitchell has a very long list of credentials and awards. He was Chief of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at several US Military hospitals including 4 years in Germany and Saudi Arabian Army Evacuation Hospitals in the late 80's to early 90's. He's seen a lot worse than this thing of mine.

I just have to remind myself of all that when I get to feeling low.

Tomorrow we (my son & I) will have some fun at the range. I got several boxes of 8MM at last weekends gun show to play with.  :D as well as a bunch for the 10/22.

Thanks again to all.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

RainDog

Sounds like you're in good hands. Very reassuring.

I mean, you know anyone with a word like "maxillofacial" in their job title ain't no common fool. Makes the big bucks. You betcha!

Guy like that ain't drinkin' no rotgut whiskey when he needs to steady his nerves. Heck no! Chivas Regal Royale all the way, and all he wants, man!

Party every night, all night!

;)

NE OK

considerations

Just don't let them touch your typing fingers.  We'll all want to know how you are doing.