Oil Change Frequency

Started by MountainDon, October 23, 2008, 11:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

My wifes neice had her's done at Wally World.  Same day her father checked and it was the same dirty oil.  They hadn't changed but stated they did.  Young females are a perfect target.  Needless to say they no longer do her oil changes. 

glenn kangiser

Quote from: StinkerBell on October 28, 2008, 12:13:51 PM
Quote from: John C on October 28, 2008, 11:50:57 AM
Glenn said
QuoteIf I have a leaker

Depends   ;D

This so defines this group..... heh

Age will catch up to you , Stink --- heh 
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

Age? Pffffffffft, you pass four kids and see what happens with you.

glenn kangiser

OHhhhhh, Stink....... I have trouble passing a Burrito Grande.  My hat's off to you..... rofl

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Yeah, Peter, you tell her... and remind her that we were once kids too... [crz]

glenn kangiser

StinkerBell

I listen to my husband all the time! It's the obeying I have not put into practice yet...

However I have a great solution for this!
When we agree we do things his way, when we disagree we do things my way.....see 50/50 heh

StinkerBell

I am not sure if you are a man of faith. We are a family of faith. I tend to point out to my hubby that he is required.....yup required to love me  and I do not have the same requirement.....

StinkerBell

Well I suspect she is doing that, cause Jesus should be the head of household....Sounds to me like you might be confused..... heh

StinkerBell

That is just so sad.

You really should not get your facts from the history channel.

MountainDon

How do we get from oil change frequency to ridiculing religious beliefs?

Quote from: benevolance on October 29, 2008, 02:33:20 PM
... Do not want to upset too many people...

Yes you do Peter, you enjoy denigrating people's religion. You've done it before.

Most of the real believers will say a prayer for you anyways.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

Benevolence, you are not being honest here.

I said I was not sure if you were a man of faith, your next post opened the door "speaking of faith".

Now what you could have done was said, hey sorry for the confusion, but I am non believer can we change the direction of the conversation.
I would have respected that. But instead you had to soapbox the issue.

so my turn.

If you think that religion and faith makes no sense and that if we do not obey we are going to burn" I would say you are very wrong. Some where something pretty tragic happened in your life.

I do not "cling" to my religion, but yes I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

I have given the forums here respect that all do not share the belief I do, but you opened a door that I thought was fine to pass through.

Redoverfarm

benevolance I think I would be afraid to go to bed at night.  At least our founding fathers must have had some faith to place " In God We Trust".  Although the economy is not a representation of that faith as "We the People" are the only ones to blame for that one.

StinkerBell

No hard feelings here.

If you ever interested in a pleasant conversation regarding this topic, just PM me.

Now back to dipstick licking and other joys of auto maintenance!

StinkerBell

Benevolence,

you are looking for a fight and I am just not going to help you indulge in your manic attempt to disclaim Jesus/God.

Sigh.

QuoteThose people came here to get away from that kind of fanaticism and zealousness.
Your wrong on this too.

MountainDon

Quote from: benevolance on October 29, 2008, 08:00:48 PM
People get angry hateful and even violent when you voice the opinion that Jesus is a fraud... It would be much easier for me to just believe and that be the end of it.

Knowing that people may get angry, hateful or even violent, and then willfully proceeding to make a statement like that is a slap in the face, an invitation to confrontation. In situations such as you describe, the simplest thing is to say "I am a non believer." That would satisfy many an encounter. If the believer presses you as to why, you simply state "I have my reasons and I don't care to discuss them right now." or words along those lines.

What would seem to be lacking here is diplomacy: to use skill and tact in dealing with others.  Tact, shrewdness or skill in conducting any kind of negotiations or in social matters.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Just to get back to the oil topic...

I use Mobil1 10W30 in my Yamaha generator as well; 7/10ths of a quart per change. Change every 100 hours. The clock is now something over 720.

glenn kangiser

I always have Sassy pick up Chevron 10/40 at Costco in gallons, because it is diesel rated so nearly everything I have gets the same oil.

MountainDon

Peter, disagreeing on whether or not Obama or McCain would be a better president, on whether or not we are getting shafted left and right by bureaucrats, whether or not one should have wood, vinyl or aluminum windows is one thing. But your attacks on religion are over the line of common decency and respect; they are not simple statements of disagreement. They are personal insults.

The Country Plans Forum Community is a diverse, at times a somewhat crazy renegade community, but it is also a compassionate community. We do not condone personal insults. It would seem that you do not perceive your comments as being personally insulting, or perhaps you simply don't care. Either way, and I believe I am not alone in this, your comments are out of line.

Free speech does not necessarily mean one is totally free to render insults in a crass manner.

If apologies don't fit you well, at least refrain from further abuse.

glenn kangiser

Let's get back to using tact and consideration of the beliefs of others here a bit, Peter..  

It is one thing to state that you don't agree with someone else's beliefs but ridicule to the point of causing bad feelings is beyond what is necessary.  No one is going to try to make a believer out of you.  Don't try to make an unbeliever out of them.

Religion is not about tolerance.  Try to talk them into same sex marriage  - that is tolerance.

The people on this forum are all like family to me, so lets have a little harmony here, please.  

We cannot instantly change others beliefs and ridicule will reinforce the belief and cause them to disregard any message you may hope to get across.  If you really want to change peoples opinions you need to do it in a tactful and caring way. Attacking others beliefs will not change anything.  Why not keep them as friends.

They do not attack you as a heathen and unbeliever or ridicule you because they believe you will get your judgment by the God you don't believe in.  As far as I can see they have been more than tolerant to you and not forced their beliefs on you or made rude comments to you.  Please extend the same courtesy to them and refrain from personal attacks on them or their religion.

If these are people you like to hang out and converse with, then take that into consideration when interacting with them.  Don't do things to turn them against you or to make problems for me.

So - lets just let it go and get back to oil for this topic, but use the tact on all topics.

MountainDon

There was a time I had a flathead Ford V8 that needed 50 wt to keep the rods from rattling (too much).

The rear axle needed a gear oil additive to keep that noise down. Sawdust.   ;D   

glenn kangiser

Bacon rinds are what you needed in them there rods, Don.  Likely get you several hundred more miles.

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on October 30, 2008, 12:38:27 AM
Likely get you several hundred more miles.

Per pound?    Never heard of that one.   :o

I also tried bananas, with skins, in the rear, but sawdust was better. I believe it was pine, cut on Dad's old table saw.

I fixed the engine by replacing it with a Merc with some hot rod stuff. The rear end was swapped for one from a wrecking yard.

Whitlock

Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

glenn kangiser

Bacon rinds would replace a rod bearing for a while on the old engines I was told.  

I used to be forever under my old 216 Chevy fiddling around with it trying to make it run a little longer - or maybe slowly destroying it. hmm   216 was dipper oiling system - w/ a bit of low pressure oil - seems about 4 lbs as I recall.  Not great for keeping the front rods oiled if going up hill a lot.

I was a kid -- I didn't know everything... quite...

I had the blacksmith in town make me a crank - in case I got stuck with a dead battery.  Yes - I could start it with the crank.