How's the weather

Started by Redoverfarm, December 17, 2007, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desdawg

Glenn that weather map looks kind of rough. How is the Ark coming along? If you are sailing east I will put the coffee pot on. 50 degrees and a little overcast here. Supposed to rain tomorrow and the next day.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

Must not be our day, desdawg.  Water didn't make it up to 2910 feet yet, but I think I'll send my little dove out to check anyway. 

I think I'll roust her out of bed to go to the woodshed and get some wood.  It's still wet and cold out there. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

tanya

Today it is sunny and warm here the rain washed away a lot of snow but there is still a lot left and I am sure it is spring now because I heard the chipmunks out yesterday.  I am sure we will still have a ot of snowstorms until April but the weather probably wont turn really really cold again.  So far I have made it through the winter without having to turn on an electric heater.    I am hoping to keep it like that.  I have got the lowest PUD bill in over ten years for the past two months not just one!!!  Usually the bill is higher for ne month than it was for two this year.  Fixing the bad ground and not having as many kids living at home has really saved money. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Willy

Our weather is cold and snowy right now in Okanogan, Washington. It has put a damper on construction for a couple more months but time flys by fast when your having fun plowing snow! This is what our place looks like right now. Mark

williet

Nice and mid 50's today...headed to 60's for the next couple of days.

tanya

hmmm usually it is warmer in Okanogan than in Ferry county I hope that snow doesn't come up here and ruin my nice sunny day.  My trees were covered in snow too but hte rain yesterday washed it all off and now they are just nice looking regular pine trees.  Willy do you live on a mountain top or in the valley? 

Willy

Quote from: tanya on January 05, 2008, 03:02:44 PM
hmmm usually it is warmer in Okanogan than in Ferry county I hope that snow doesn't come up here and ruin my nice sunny day.  My trees were covered in snow too but hte rain yesterday washed it all off and now they are just nice looking regular pine trees.  Willy do you live on a mountain top or in the valley? 
I live at the 2800 ft level East of Okanogan on the Colville Reservation. The frost in the trees is gone right now due to the rain last night but now we have tons of ice to deal with. Every thing froze again over night. A new storm is coming right now and the sky is getting dark. We have had several feet of snow and I have 4 ft tall mounds below the eves now. I am starting to run out of room for pushing snow to early this winter!! Mark

tanya

Oh you are a little higher up ont he mountains than I am here.  Lucky me.  I see those clouds you are talking about though, I think they are stuck on those high mountains and I hope they stay there.  Sorry but I am enjoying the sun and warmer temps.  It will be cold and snowy again plenty soon enough for me. 

Drew

Pacifica, CA:  The power was out all day yesterday at home.  We asked our son not to go play in the ravine behind the house.  Filled him in on what "Flash flooding" meant.  He was at home with no Internet.  The horror!

The power came back on a little after midnight this morning.  Then it went out again at around 7:00 am.  Dave was all POed at PG&E for giving us power, then turning it back off.  Yah.  I explained to him that corrupt as the Establishment is, it still wants to make a buck and will have the power on as soon as it can.  I need to raise my hippies right.

So the power comes back on, but Comcast fails.  Dan piles Dave into the car and takes him to his girlfriend's house.

We lost a small tree in the back yard.  I'm a little less than ambivalent about it since it was blocking the sun on one of my raised beds.  "Oh darn.  The tree fell.  How sad." 

We've lived on the other end of this Venturi tunnel for ~13 years now.  We've had 80 mph winds up here but it wasn't that bad this time.  Our new neighbor lost some roof shingles and a fence.  He's ready to move.  Rookie.

The ocean looks really crazy right now.  Gray with breakers way off shore.  Epic waves.  No surfers.  At least no more surfers.  There are what appear to be big rocks that washed up in the parking lots.  I'm charging my Zantrex batteries back up: One for light, one for coffee.  I got a new book on irrigation to keep me entertained.  Heck, I got a couple or three tons of books.  I am not hurting.  :)

glenn kangiser

No end of the world scenarios in the big city yet, Drew?  hmm

People killing each other to get the last loaf of bread or anything?  When you make your own power like we do you miss out on a lot of the interesting stuff like that. [crz]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Willy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 05, 2008, 05:55:51 PM
No end of the world scenarios in the big city yet, Drew?  hmm

People killing each other to get the last loaf of bread or anything?  When you make your own power like we do you miss out on a lot of the interesting stuff like that. [crz]
Where I live this is what is exciting during the winter watching the snow blower go by in front of your home! Mark

glenn kangiser

I don't want that much snow, but we are supposed to have some on the way -- tonight?

Redoverfarm

Glenn better you than me. We are getting a break before your's reaches us. Predicted forecast in the Mid 40's-50 Mon, Tues & maybe Wednesday. The snow on Thursday with temps dropping back down.  I guess it takes about 4 days to a week to blow across to us.

glenn kangiser

I  don't think you are going to like this one.

It did give me a break to go put a piece of glass back on the green house and secure it near my inverters.  A few other drainage details etc. then it hit us again.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 05, 2008, 10:09:00 PM
I  don't think you are going to like this one.

It did give me a break to go put a piece of glass back on the green house and secure it near my inverters.  A few other drainage details etc. then it hit us again.

Wow you must be in the path of the storm , I've ever heard you lement like this before.

I better call Barbara down in San Jose to check in with her.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

It's just really nasty and everything is wet and pretty muddy.  Nearly got my Bobcat stuck going to get a generator a guy may want to buy.  We were pretty well in the worst of it --at least high on the hill.

From  a news article.
"The National Weather Service recorded wind gusts up to 165 mph on mountaintops northwest of Lake Tahoe on Friday."

PEG688

I had read that Tahoe report , they really got a LOT of snow as well  :o That was very enjoyable trip last year . 

I called my sister she wasn't home but she does have power cuz her answering machine was on.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

It's a nice place to be when it's not snowing. :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

For a change, the weather's not bad here.  Everything is muddy as all get out, but we're way warmer than usual.  Everything is melting so fast it looks like it's raining, but it's really just all the dripping off the roof and the trees.  It was around 44 or 45 today... balmy!! I even took the dog out without having to put on a coat.  Water-proof boots, in retrospect, would've been a good idea, though.  I think we're supposed to have three days that aren't bad (in a row, even) but it is to be cloudy/rainy. 

Drew

End of the world scenarios, Glenn?  You got it all wrong.  It takes these clowns two days of driving and spinning out in the rain before they hang up the cell phone and drive below 65 mph.

Aw, now you got me started.  ;)

A lot more people don't stop at stop signs anymore (And it all started when I turned 40!).  Someone doesn't see the point of stopping all the way when they can see that no one is coming.  Then they don't look as carefully since they've done it a thousand times and what's so hard about driving anyway.  Then someone gets hurt and its someone else's fault.

The streets are a mess right now.  It's no Katrina, but it's not a sunny day in late May.  Trees are down and pieces of people's houses are still flying through the air.  Power lines are drooping across the street (Dan called one in today.  She was driving but I saw it first.).  PG&E guys are all over the street working hard to get the power back on line here so they can get on to the next neighborhood.  Some folks are just not getting it.

The place in Palermo is off grid and will stay that way.  My generator is up there, but I have my batteries with me in Pacifica.  When I ran out the time I expect to be in this house and the cost/benefit of a solar array, I determined the best plan was to put it in our small-house-to-be in Palermo.  The batteries worked fine.  I didn't miss TV 'cause I don't watch it.  When was the last time my TV answered my questions on splicing rim joists or installing pressure tanks?   ;D

glenn kangiser

We have a TV but never watch it --- maybe when I'm on the road is about it.  Even then I find a motel with dsl or do some WAR driving to find some access.

Batteries in the city?  Better keep them out of sight so they don't end up powering hydraulics. [crz]

I can't even listen to the radio for very long-- as soon as I feel the stupid starting to attach itself to me I have to turn it off.  I can't believe the US is so full of airheads -- the government project to dumb down America is a smashing success.

Drew

We get the media we deserve, Glenn.  It wouldn't work if we didn't pay for it.

Oh, this must be Seasonal Affective Disorder we hear about when it rains for too long. 

Naw.

Redoverfarm

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. 
It pays no attention to Criticism.

williet

Sorry about all the winter storms out there. Here it's going to 73 today...some rain and maybe storms tomorrow. Winter tornados maybe.... Everything has it's price.

glenn kangiser

Seems that you sit and wait long enough, they eventually pass.