Farm Show

Started by peternap, January 22, 2008, 05:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I went to the Farm show today. Lots of toys ...er...equipment, but I showed restraint. [cool]

I looked at about 7 different saw mills and almost wrote a check for this one.
http://www.mistersawmill.com/    Scroll down and look at the model 21.

It's better built than the others and is on a trailer. The thing sells for 5 grand but he knocked 1000 off if I leave it until Thursday so he can use it as a demo.

I'm going to give it a lot of thought tonight. I cut a few boards and it was very nice!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

It looks similar to mine and the reduced price is about what they sell for to handle a similar sized or a little larger log.  It looks like hand push through which is what I like best as you can feel dull blades - knots - binding etc.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

[cool]  Peter. Do ya need a place to try it out?  Is your the standard 9HP or has it been upgraded to a 13HP. Don't spend all your money. Save some for February.

peternap

It's the 13 HP Redover    ;D

It's about a thousand more than I had planned to spend...but boy does that thing cut. They had a couple of the ones I had been looking at (With different stickers) and there is no comparison. This is a much better mill than the Woodmizer LT10.

I've been going over the plans and I think that I can cut everything for the place except the piers (and they're already in place.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

Glenn, it is the push through. One thing I really liked are the rails. They're more like I beams rather than the angle iron on the cheaper ones. It's very solid.

glenn kangiser

You'll love it.  Nothing like turning a nice old growth log into boards for the house. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Here's mine -- cuts a bit bigger logs but no trailer.  I also know the builder and buy direct from him.  Looks like you are getting a fair deal though.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/113066.htm

benevolance

I gotta stay away from places like that for a little while... there is no money in the budget for it for a few months

Dangerous to let a man go wandering through a display like that though... I am impulsive sort of...I mean it is always something I have wanted forever... But it always shocks the wife when you come home with a tractor or loader or bandsaw mill

glenn kangiser

You could build your own. Peter.  Scrap and a few hundred dollars should do it.

benevolance

no encouragement is needed glenn

I started gathering material for one last year...I am not going to build one here in SC.....too many loose ends to tie up here..I need to get rid of junk here not accumulate more of it

desdawg

I looked briefly at some build your own plans and it looked like it was stretching my abilities and pretty time consuming so I purchased the Norwood.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

Did you get to use it yet, desdawg?   If like me it is cool to have and not use but when the time comes you really put it to work.

Peter, it is amazing how easy it is to build some of this stuff and how well it works after you do it.  Getting started and continuing is the thing.  I occasionally do it.

benevolance

Glenn

I have all kinds of stuff I will have to sell off..I cannot carry it 1200 miles to Maine with me...My industrial tractor...I am taking the block machine with me and the cement mixer...Tools, saws, drill press shop press compressor engine hoist... welder

I will have to fill half a dozen pick up trucks with stuff to get the tools and equipment to Maine...

It would be stupid to build anything else knowing I am moving...So I am going to sell off whatever is not essential and a few things that are...Like my tractor >:(

Trust me I want a bandsaw mill so bad I can taste it...I even had those silly notions of having free time to saw logs for other people and make all kinds of money doing it.

I found a Fully hydraulic used (400 hours) Woodmizer LT40.. with debarker log loader...for $14,000 in New Hanpshire if I could scrape the money today It would be mine...That is about $35,000 new...It will cut 600 board ft an hour...Which is pretty impressive considering that they charge about 35 cents a board foot to saw lumber for you when the local bandsaw mill guy shows up...

I figure  just sawing the lumber for the new house barn greenhouse I would pay a bandsaw mill guy about $5000 to saw all the lumber I will use...

if I could avoid paying someone to saw my lumber and get to have the fun of doing it myself...I would be insane not to go for it... I just cannot buy the land and the mill at the same time...So it will have to wait a month or two and I will see if I can find a deal on Bandsaw mill then

the thing I want to make from scratch is a hardwood processor that loads the wood cuts it in uniform length splits it and then loads the truck via conveyor belt... My dad still sells hardwood to people we used to do a 1-2 hundred cord a year now he does about 50... and it was all done throwing the wood on the truck by hand... picking up lengths of wood and placing them in a saw horse and the amount of work was insane.

So instead of building the mill right now I need to get a heavy straight truck cheap down here in the south where rust is not an issue...And then I need to get an equipment trailer with brakes for the bulldozer...And I need to start looking to sell off as much equipment as I can part with...I already called some people back home that want to buy some of my old cars...They are going the way of the dodo bird also to fund the new house.. plus I do not want to move them and I have to place to put them in Maine...So they are going to be sold off...

It hurts man..But that is life

Redoverfarm

Peter did you come home with the saw?  I think you said this was the last day at the show.

benevolance

Sounds like a deal 25% discount.... hard to say no to that

peternap

Peter did you come home with the saw?  I think you said this was the last day at the show.

No..... d*......I'm still looking at it. I just can't make up my mind. He's leaving the offer open for a week and the dealer is about 45 minutes from the farm.