Shed Roof Considerations

Started by bayview, February 13, 2013, 08:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayview

I'm considering building a shed with a "shed" roof.   My problem?  The "birds mouth" on the top plate on the "high" end.    It takes out quite a bit of the rafter.   Looks like a weak spot.

I guess I could rest the rafter on top of the high wall . . .    But how would one fill in the triangular space?

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Redoverfarm

I have seen some that have made an extra wide facia and soffit to come down over the front wall some. Then any prevailing wind and water is deflected onto the wall face of the building.

Don_P

Cut the tops of the studs at the pitch angle and set the plates at the angle, no bird up top.

MikeOnBike

Quote from: Don_P on February 13, 2013, 11:56:43 PM
Cut the tops of the studs at the pitch angle and set the plates at the angle, no bird up top.

That's what I did.  I made a little angle jig to get the perfect mark/cut everytime.  For me it was 14° for my 3/12 roof.  Just keep track of whether your measurement is the high or low side of the stud.  Since you don't have the birds mouth for rafter alignment it helps to set the outer rafters and run a string line to keep it all even.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10977.msg142541#msg142541

bayview

Thanks for the info . . .

Has anyone come across a Simpson Rafter Tie that could be used.

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MikeOnBike

Quote from: bayview on February 14, 2013, 10:35:40 AM
Thanks for the info . . .

Has anyone come across a Simpson Rafter Tie that could be used.

/.

I'm pretty sure I used the H2.5AZ.  I don't know if that is the best part but it seemed correct.

firefox

I used these on a garage and they worked pretty good, but I don't know if they are
correct for your installation.
http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/catalogs/c-2011/C-2011-p088.pdf
Called variable pitch connectors.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

MikeOnBike

Quote from: MikeOnBike on February 14, 2013, 11:01:19 AM
I'm pretty sure I used the H2.5AZ.  I don't know if that is the best part but it seemed correct.

Forgot to mention I also toe-nailed on each side of the rafter with a 3" galvanized nail.

firefox's bracket looks like it would do the job but might be expensive.  The H2.5AZ were about 60 cents each.  I guess the question is what is good enough.

bayview

Some good suggestions . . .    Thanks

/.