Do you remember

Started by peternap, August 14, 2008, 08:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I posted this on an Old Geezers forum the other day.
I wonder how many here remember these things.

When you could order a rifle from an ad in Field and Stream. Just send a check and they mailed you the gun.
A&N stores had 6.5 Italian Carcano's for 15.00 and it was just a matter of plunking down the money.
455 Webleys could be ordered for$12.00 each plus shipping.

Remember before they built the interstate highways. Here, the east/west route was 33. It was full of roadside restaurants and every 30 miles or so, there was a roadside picnic area (Waysides).

There were all the tourist stands, snake farms and scenic outlooks. Traveling was more fun then.

Do you remember when ...you'd get drunk and the town cop caught you.....and took you home for your parents to punish :shock:

Remember when a pocket knife was considered part of proper school supplies

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

gandalfthegrey

Burma Shave signs.

Shave the modern way / No brush / No lather / No rub-in / Big tube 35 cents - Drug stores / Burma-Shave
As early as 1928, the writers were displaying a puckish sense of humor:

Takes the "H" out of shave / Makes it save / Saves complexion / Saves time and money / No brush - no lather / Burma-Shave
In 1929, the prosaic ads began to be replaced by actual verses on four signs, with the fifth sign merely a filler for the sixth:

Every shaver / Now can snore / Six more minutes / Than before / By using / Burma-Shave
Your shaving brush / Has had its day / So why not / Shave the modern way / With / Burma-Shave
Bad Wolf

Homegrown Tomatoes

A peach looks good/ with lots of fuzz/ but man's no peach/ and never was/Burma Shave.

ScottA

Vintage Route 66 tourist trap art.

apaknad

when i was a kid i used to dream about going the whole length of route 66 like the old tv show(they had a corvette). i would still like to do it on what's left of the road.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

peternap

Quote from: benevolance on August 14, 2008, 02:07:53 PM
I am all for the Cops helping kids and small town values..

Mail order rifles are not a good thing. I am all for more restrictions on ordering weapons... Legal citizens residents who pass a psych evaluation and have a clean criminal record can own guns... everyone else should never own or operate a weapon..

Our right to bear arms is jeopardized every time some felon commits a gun crime or some lunatic shoots 25 people down at the burger mart...Responsible ownership is absolutely necessary for continued ownership of firearms in America...We need to make sure that everyone who owns a gun takes a safety course..Learn how to keep their guns safe and out of kids hands... get gun safes.. register your weapons...be responsible

JMHO

Right...the gun control act of 1968 has done a lot to reduce crime, hasn't it.
Where do you get these ideas.

Like I said before, Sure glad the courts don't agree with you.....or the Lawmakers ....or.....

Learn how to keep their guns safe and out of kids hands... get gun safes.. register your weapons...be responsible

You forgot stop drop and roll and never talk to strangers rofl
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

Quote from: benevolance on August 14, 2008, 03:29:01 PM
Do you really think a mail order gun program should be legal then? If you own a gun it is a responsibility...We may have the right to own weapons and bear arms... but it is our responsibility to make sure that our weapons are secure.

In short yes. They could be ordered until 1968 and the prohibition hasn't reduced crime a bit.

We may have the right to own weapons

What's this We stuff white man...you ain't in the club, remember.

Since your always talking about beating people to death with tree limbs and pipes, I guess your not interested in having finger locks installed.

Since you don't own any guns, you don't need to concern yourself with how mine are kept. As far as registration, not here..now or ever!

peternap

Tell it to Sarah Brady.......I've heard the wind blow before! ;D

peternap

Thought you two would like each other. Just make sure she doesn't mistake you for hubby rofl rofl rofl  :-X

muldoon

Does the act of ordering a gun hurt anyone?  Does owning a gun hurt anyone?  Seriously, where is the victim when I write a check and place a rifle in my safe?  Why should that act be restricted? 

Because they can be stolen and used by criminals?  It's already illegal to steal.  Because they can be used in a crime?  It's already against the law to murder people.  Because they can be used carelessly and injur someone, that falls under manslaughter or negligent homicide.  Because a child may get ahold of it?  Negligence in childrearing is possible in any number of areas, do we outlaw bleach, or need to register gasoline so they dont huff it?  No, we teach our children what is acceptable behaviour and we keep dangers away from them.  Someone may get drunk or high and hurt themselves?  Darwin wins.  Hurt someone else, see above.  I just do not understand the logic in making something illegal because someone might do something, make the thing they do illegal... and dammit it already is! 

Honestly, please answer how more laws or government paperwork help when the ones we have now already do not? 

As for registration, yes I will happily register a percentage of my firearms and be prepared to hand them over when the time comes.  I also will keep some unregistered and will not. 

desdawg

Is this a Peter fight? That would be quite a sight. Burma Shave
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

peternap

Quote from: desdawg on August 14, 2008, 05:10:49 PM
Is this a Peter fight? That would be quite a sight. Burma Shave

Not really a fight...more a Pi$$ing match. Benovelence will be back after he wrings his shirt out. The laser sight makes all the difference. [slap]

sparks

Not sure how responsible this was:

Mr. Mossberg and I strolled across the road into a cornfield. About twenty rows deep. At that point I commanded Mr. Mossberg to unload four rounds, quickly........you know, just to check the spread pattern.

It appears I might owe the farmer for a bushel or two.   ;)

It's the first time I've fired a gun in over thirty-five years. Felt good.
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

Redoverfarm

Well I was going to comment on the start of the thread but this seems more interesting.  Just one thing about the registration of firearms.  For every firearm that you have registered in your name you will eventiually be taxed on them each year.  It is already in the works just waiting for the right time to spring or should I say shaft it on us. This is federal (IRS) and not state.  Maybe a total revolt will be in order.

Here they started taxing us for cattle and farm machinery.  Enough farmers revolted and after 3-4 years they did away with it.  In my case I had cattle for 5 months a year and was taxed for the whole year just because i owned them before the tax year started.

So get ready to show that they (the firearms) were sold and who they were sold to or you will be paying for them every year for the rest of your lives and then the person you leave them to will as well if there is a paper trail.

peternap

Quote from: benevolence on August 14, 2008, 05:30:20 PM
Never be afraid of information Peter...Expanding your mind will not hurt it... Quite the contrary

And as for mail ordering guns...Unfortunately we have to make sure that we at least try to keep firearms out of the hands of felons and the mentally ill. Ending mail order firearms was one way to make it harder for felons and the mentally ill to buy weapons.

Is it a pain to go down show id fill out forms consent to a background check to buy a weapon...Yeah sure. But if we had guns in Bubble gum machines where we inserted the money pulled the handle and out came a gun...That would be criminal. So you have to fill out a form or show id to purchase a weapon...As long as you abide the law nobody says you cannot own guns. Which is exactly in correlation with the second amendment.

There is nothing wrong with responsible ownership.

I'm not afraid of information, but I've got a pretty good picture of you now! Lots of baggage there.

Hate to break it to you, but if you don't feel like paperwork, pick up the trading post and take your pick. Private sales are exempt. I'm surprised you didn't pick that up from Sarah's site. She's been running around ranting with a wild eyed squall about loopholes for years. Everyone just laughs at her. Kind of like most gun control nuts.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: benevolance on August 14, 2008, 08:04:33 PM
I spent about 5 minutes on that site...I had never heard of her before. i am not big gun advocate...I like to annoy NRA faithful though [cool]

You mean like Sassy - she belongs to the NRA. d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

Quote from: benevolance on August 14, 2008, 09:18:44 PM
Glenn you know what I am talking about...Some of the greatest pleasures in life are bugging the overly zealous religious fanatics and gun lobbyists

If your talking about bugging me, I'm enjoying it. It's a little like watching a
monkey and a football!

peternap

Good response....kinda like, Same to you fella! rofl

apaknad

the show was called "route 66" and these two guys drove around and ran into adventures and problems. corvette was cool, show was mediocre.

MountainDon

You can drive on some of the original Route 66 through Albuquerque. Central Ave is Route 66.

As for firearm registration; registration is the first step that makes it easier to implement confiscation.

Criminals will always have guns, even if honest folk do not. They don't usually buy them at the local gun shop.

NRA member MtnDon
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

You sure all you did with that banana was eat it :-*

Apaknad, your age is showing ;D Route 66 was a very mediocre show. I think that's where Martin Milner really got his start.

Here's the Vet

apaknad

oh it was like a 1962/3(i could be wrong, didn't google it)

apaknad

i will tuck my age away and i apoligize for showing it(it's 12:45 am here and i am getting silly). d*

apaknad

yes, confiscation is the ulterior motive to incremental gun laws and registrations/restrictions. >:(

peternap

Quote from: apaknad on August 14, 2008, 11:47:49 PM
i will tuck my age away and i apoligize for showing it(it's 12:45 am here and i am getting silly). d*

Don't try to hide it...I remember watching the show. It was one of those low budget wonders...like Whirleybird. That was the first thing I ecer saw Ken Curtis (Festus) in...pretty bad too :-\