Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Most portable mills in this area charge about $200-$250 @ 1,000 bf.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Redoverfarm on November 30, 2012, 04:57:55 PM
Most portable mills in this area charge about $200-$250 @ 1,000 bf.

That's pretty tough to beat -- are there a lot of them?

OlJarhead

Don't get me wrong though, I don't want to discourage anyone from doing what I've done!

All I advise is that it's a process that I've learned benefits a great up front (meaning more production) but many have been quite successful just using CSM's to produce their own lumber.

MountainDon

QuoteJava don't cut the trees and leave them lay unless you want Blue Stain

While logs left laying about with the bark still on them could likely become home to some Mountain Pine Beetles there is also an excellent chance the live standing tree you are about to cut may have been attacked as well. In that case the blue stain will already be started. The blue stain comes from a fungus carried by the adult beetle. The Mountain Pine Beetle does not attack dead wood like dried firewood. It does not bore into fresh logs that have been debarked. It is not active from roughly October through spring. So over winter storage is not going to cause any increase in blue staining. It will attack any living tree, bore through the bark and lay eggs. Healthy trees can fight them off, but the conditions in many of our forests are such that many trees are too stressed already and will not survive.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Every tree I've cut and left lay got Blue Stain.

Every tree I dropped and milled did not.

Just figure I'd add that.

JavaMan

The little reading I've done on it, seems to indicate that part of the costing of the process ($$/bf) has to do with the type of wood it is - i.e. Pine vs Oak or Maple, etc...

So does climate have to do with the beetle attacking the tree? Because for the last 3 weeks it seems we've been living in the rain forest here  :o

MountainDon

This is from the USFS, specifically one of the SD offices, but they have the same beetle there as we do in NM and you do in WA.

The one thing it does not mention IIRC, cause I didn't re-read this recently, is one method of killing beetles in logs with the bark still on them. It works in summer. Stack the logs and cover completely with 6 mil clear plastic. The bottom edges of the plastic must be buried in the ground. Let bake in the sun for at least 60 days, 90 is better. That kills the beetles and the larvae with the heat build up. The plastic must be clear. Dark plastic will have the beetles seeking out the smallest pinpricks to escape through. Using clear plastic there is no darkness under the cover and that confuses the beetles; they cannot seek out the light as they can with black plastic. We do that to any green cut logs we intend to keep for firewood. We uncover in late fall at the earliest and let season through to the next winter before using.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

Dying to get back to the cabin but also dying to get the mill done!  Sheesh, this winter is going slow.

Went to order the ramps today but WM was closed so I'll have to wait but with luck I'll start seeing progress in the next week or so!

OlJarhead

LOL was playing with the sorting today and saw that this thread has either the 2nd or 3rd most replies (think I noticed that before and think I commented that it's probably because I comment too often!!!  Funny thing is, I'm like this in person too for those who wonder).

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 01, 2012, 02:31:13 PM
LOL was playing with the sorting today and saw that this thread has either the 2nd or 3rd most replies (think I noticed that before and think I commented that it's probably because I comment too often!!!  Funny thing is, I'm like this in person too for those who wonder).

Yah, I can vouch for that! ;)

Sounds like I might need to do something like what Don said ... except on this side of the mountains we don't get enough heat, even in the summer, to warm things up much.

Although the guy hasn't shown up yet to take a look at the trees, so we'll have to see what happens.

Adding on a room to a REALLY small shelter in the yard today and tomorrow - for the goats... then back to the deck stairs on the "front" of the house.  Then I'm taking a break for the holidays. d*

OlJarhead

OUCH!
http://www.tirechain.com/16.9-34.htm

Was looking at getting some tire chains for my tractor so I could plow the snow and ice off the drive and am now thinking I better wait until I'm earning an income!!!

Sadly, though, I might have been able to earn a few bucks if I could plow snow for others but at $519 for rear chains and probably another $150 for the fronts I'm thinking maybe not this year :(

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 03, 2012, 12:31:23 PM
OUCH!
http://www.tirechain.com/16.9-34.htm

Was looking at getting some tire chains for my tractor so I could plow the snow and ice off the drive and am now thinking I better wait until I'm earning an income!!!

Sadly, though, I might have been able to earn a few bucks if I could plow snow for others but at $519 for rear chains and probably another $150 for the fronts I'm thinking maybe not this year :(
Ouch! That would hurt. d*  I would think it might depend on how much you can charge!  But nearly $700 just for chains is a bit steep.  Have to plow a LOT of driveways to recover that cost

OlJarhead

No doubt!

I was told that around here tractor services go to $75/hr but I can't imagine charging that (maybe that's my problem)....but even at $50/hr assuming I could get the work around our place (no trailer to drag the tractor miles away) it would still take a lot of driveways and roads to earn back the $600-$700 investment.

And I just really wanted them for my place but I may have to start chatting up neighbors to see if I can get some work with the tractor to help pay for the costs.

As it is the portable mill trailer is going to eat up much of my resources (that I'm willing to spend anyway).

OlJarhead

Ordered my 7 foot bed section for the mill today :)  Takes it out to 21 feet in length and allows me to mill just over 18 feet.

Exciting stuff!

MountainDon

QuoteSheesh, this winter is going slow.

Winter hasn't even really started yet.  ;D

OlJarhead

lol Don, true enough but it feels like winter to me!

Seems to be snowing at the cabin constantly but not much in terms of accumulation.

-- on a side note Les Schwab has chains for my tractor at $417 for all 4!  Much better deal.

Now I just have to find the $$$ lol

OlJarhead

Got the Road Warrior back from the shop today -- which makes me happy but not the paying them to fix it part.

Had the skidplate modded to fit around the brush guard (not in this pic but you couldn't see it anyway), had the radiator replaced (3core heavy duty all steel), and put in the new fan shroud (it didn't have one for the last 3 years).

Also recently put in a new O2 sensor so with a little luck it will be happy and take me back to the cabin this winter (I much prefer the old Road Warrior in the winter because of it's 4 wheel drive system and limited slip -- it always works unlike my F150 which seems to sometimes NOT work  d* ).

It's good to see it running well and hopefully COOL too and with over 254,000 miles on it we've sorta developed a relationship :)  :o

OlJarhead

Arggghhhh

Delays delays.  Had planned on heading back to the cabin on the 15th but it looks like my son will be working right up until Christmas and he's asked to go with me.  So we're planning the 26th instead and will make it a New Years cabin trip after all.

My hope this next trip is mostly to clear snow on the road to and around the cabin but I might also managed to get some interior work done too.

OlJarhead

WhooHoo!  I'm going to pick up 200lbs of Cereal Rye today!  Already grabbed 26lbs a couple days ago and got this order placed.

Now I'll be able to disk up the last couple acres I plan and plant the cereal rye as soon as the ground thaws this spring!  That will give me a pretty decent crop in the summer if all goes well!

Also seriously considering chains and a plow for the tractor and am wondering if anyone who reads this in the area would like some plowing done this winter?  As long as you're within driving distance of Eagle Rock I can drive the tractor over (as long as you're within a few miles of the general store I should be able to just drive over in the tractor).  Won't charge much either just hoping that I might get a little plowing work to offset the cost of the blade and chains.

OlJarhead

Looks like I'm going back to work!

Should get my offer letter today :)  Will be working from home and while the work isn't the kind I'd prefer (lots of spreadsheets and research) it will help pay the pays and allow me to continue working on the cabin too!

I also plan to continue to develop my sawmill business on the side :)

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 19, 2012, 01:09:14 PM
Looks like I'm going back to work!

Should get my offer letter today :)  Will be working from home and while the work isn't the kind I'd prefer (lots of spreadsheets and research) it will help pay the pays and allow me to continue working on the cabin too!

I also plan to continue to develop my sawmill business on the side :)
That's totally awesome!   [cool] Glad to hear it!

That should give you some cash flow to get the things you'd wished you'd had this time.

Very cool. 

OlJarhead

Yup :)  Signed the paperwork today and while the money is less (again) then my last job it's still better in many ways though it's independent contract work so no UI benefits when done.

On the other hand it fits into my business plan in some ways.

Bottom line:  I'll be earning an income again!  And it will provide enough to work on getting things like the mill business up and running (I'm still doing that) as well as stuff for the tractor (snow chains just ordered and plow will be bought sometime this year I imagine).

All in all good stuff!

JavaMan

Isn't that the way the economy is going? (less pay than last job)... well, as an independent contractor, you should have a goodly amount of deductions to "reduce" that even farther. ;D

OlJarhead

Last report had 14" of new snow at the cabin (or at least within a half mile of it) and more snow all this week and weekend right through Christmas and beyond!

I've ordered the chains for the tractor (all 4) and should be able to pick them up today.  The plan is to leave right after Christmas and spend New Years at the cabin and then return to start the new job.  While there I hope to plow all this new snow off the driveway and around the cabin so we'll have places to work and park etc.

Other then that we might burn slash and generally just relax and ring in the new year :)

All of this of course, assuming the old XJ can plow through the deep snow and make it to or near the cabin!!!  Good thing I have 4 chains and a winch and at least 3 wheel drive ;)  But I am told that a neighbors ranger has had no real trouble making it to the nearest spur road which is about a mile from our cabin so worst case scenario is we'll have to trudge in from there in nearly 2 feet of snow carrying chains for the tractor!  Good thing I've been walking 5+ miles a day to get back into shape! lol