Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.

Started by glenn-k, March 21, 2006, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

Very nice cabinets there PEG, birch plywood and alder used there as well as the mantle? A lot of craftsman style while keeping the material costs down.

And those doors are a great big upgrade over a Home Depot steel door and an aluminum screen door.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

PEG688

Quote from: John Raabe on August 03, 2008, 11:11:02 PM

Very nice cabinets there PEG, birch plywood and alder used there as well as the mantle?

Yes shop Birch ply Alder lumber. Alder is very nice to work with , it even smells nice when machined.

A lot of craftsman style while keeping the material costs down.

Tryin to manage costs some what. But like most things, material costs are high. About $800.00 for the two new pieces, drawer hardware , hinges , lumber, etc.   

And those doors are a great big upgrade over a Home Depot steel door and an aluminum screen door.

I'm not much of a fan of aluminium screen doors, Larson's are about the best I've installed. But they look , well like aluminium d*

The side doors, utility room ones are steel doors. The front and French one are Fir. I hung the two wood ones, purchased the jamb stock and doors down at Frank Door in Marysville. The French doors is a odd height, had to fit it under the existing window header. Like most things that door was "Hey a door to the deck and hot tub from the master bath would be nice!" said after I build the back deck.  d*  d*   

What do you think of the repeated arches there at the front door area? Although they are all different , I think they work well together as a whole unit.

A lot of folks say ( when walking by)  "I love your house!" There's a lot of little details, curves , small bump outs , raised panels, curves on the flower pot holders, routed edge treatments on the rake boards , lots to look at , to delight the eye, as they say  ;)

I may have to buy a beret, eh!  Gettin all artiesy/ fartsey rofl   One of the step granddaughters corrected some one , her Dad IIRC, he called my shop a "SHED" she said , " Dad, that's Pip's studio!"  , gotta love that kid ;)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

John Raabe

Well, yours is the kind of art I can appreciate.

You haven't lost the workman's touch.

I like the three arches at the door... they are much more interesting than if they were matching. What art is, I don't really know, but I'm pretty sure it is NOT matching jump suits.

I'm not even sure art is the real goal. Art can lead the ego away from the human and humble and into the showy world of competitive fashion. Better to be a careful craftsman who can sometimes surprise or add grace to otherwise well built useful objects.

Sassy

Fine craftmanship as usual, PEG!  The TV cabinet & book shelves are beautiful, too.  I love the arches in the doorway, also  8) and

"The side doors, utility room ones are steel doors. The front and French one are Fir. I hung the two wood ones, purchased the jamb stock and doors down at Frank Door in Marysville. The French doors is a odd height, had to fit it under the existing window header. Like most things that door was "Hey a door to the deck and hot tub from the master bath would be nice!" said after I build the back deck."  makes sense to me  ;D

I like the way you have left the wood natural on the house & all the details that make it unique & make a person want to look at it  c*

Keep posting pics!   :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

PEG688

A garden bench with some interesting solutions in it.

Big loose knots in Red Cedar beams stock I had left over from a job. I still wanted to use this wood,   

This other bench has been nice,

Some one on wooden boat forum suggested fish or stars inlay-ed to hide the knot holes,

I had some Khaya ( African Mahogany) left over so they looked fishie,

At first this was the lay out , but it changed,

To this,

Got the legs details worked out today, this is just put together for the photos. I'm going to change the lower stretcher it's to wide, maybe a cloud lift, something different anyway.

The legs are glued up now  , sitting in the clamps. We'll see what happens in the next few days with that stretcher.

glenn kangiser

That's cool, PEG.  Very nice.

I need to build some benches I think for the Fire party next weekend - the 16th - but I doubt they will be that nice.  I was thinking a bench I could build with a chainsaw and sledge hammer. d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 11, 2008, 12:16:03 AM

That's cool, PEG.  Very nice.

I need to build some benches I think for the Fire party next weekend - the 16th - but I doubt they will be that nice.  I was thinking a bench I could build with a chainsaw and sledge hammer. d*

Thanks Glenn.

I think they call that a log ;)

glenn kangiser

Very close -- well see if anything comes of it.

I was thinking something from the trees that gave their lives in the interest of making the property safe from the fire.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

glenn kangiser

I think the oak trees will possibly be pretty good for a bench or table.  Not much sap in them.

John Raabe

Nice project PEG and a great photo tutorial on your process of working these things out.

Kind of like looking over the masters shoulder.  ;)

MountainDon

Nice use of wood that others might have thrown out. Looks great!
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

That is a very nice bench.  How do you get the little fishes into the wood?   ???

glenn kangiser

PEG688

I willed them in :)

I really used a plunge router with a spiral bottom cutting bit. To let the fish into the bench top.  ;)

considerations

That must be on page 1,113....I'm on page 130.  It's beautiful.  One of these decades.....

Sassy

I love the fish inlays - again, another gorgeous piece of furniture!  I need a few of those around here  :)

glenn kangiser

I'll run to the fish market in the morning.

PEG688

Completed TV cabinet , TV  & pulls installed,

Resulting cut out of the shelf the TV is trapped in by,

That was fun cut  :o Good ole Bosch jig saw, the only way to go IMO on jig saws!

Redoverfarm

Peg I noticed something on the floor just to the lower right of the TV cabinet.  Is that a floor recepticle.  Looks sort of odd there.

PEG688

Quote from: Redoverfarm on August 16, 2008, 08:06:30 PM
Peg I noticed something on the floor just to the lower right of the TV cabinet.  Is that a floor recepticle.  Looks sort of odd there.

Gas shut off to the fireplace insert, there's a big 'key' on to of the cabinet to shut it off if needed.

ScottA

glenn kangiser

Great Job, PEG -- really impressive with the TV installed , and much better for you when the doors are shut. d*

Sassy

So PEG, you working on any new projects?  I always like to see the things you are building - they're always so well made & designed - not like the stuff you buy in stores  8)

PEG688

Quote from: Sassy on August 29, 2008, 05:08:04 PM

So PEG, you working on any new projects? 

I'm in early design phases with a couple of  projects.

I did do a simple deep sink cabinet a week or so ago.

Paint grade Poplar and shop Birch. 

I did  a P. Lam job this past week in the evenings as well.