We're finally getting going!...10x14 cabin (modified)

Started by acmorris, February 15, 2008, 11:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acmorris

Hello John, and fellow-forumites-

My husband and I are starting to design a 10x14 cabin, based on the Enchilada Plan Kit for our land near Ithaca, NY. (The plan kit, I have to say, costs few pennies compared to what it is worth--thanks for a great product!) We're going to use the cabin for 5 - 8 years, until we're ready to move to the area full time (in Philly now) and build our "big" house.

I will post plans and elevations in a few days, and will have some specific questions then. For now, I just wanted to set up an account and say "hello".

Here's a photo of the pond on our property (we share it with someone else). It's still like a dream to me that we own this--after searching for 3 years! The property is 40 acres, with state land on two sides.

I hope the link works...new to photobucket.

I have been reading these forums for a while now, and am always impressed by how conscientiously people answer questions, etc., so I am excited to officially join your community!

-Amanda

Welcome! ED: modified photobucket link to display picture here instead of having a link to photobucket that neded to be clicked on. FYI, see http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3512.0 for a tutorial. All your link needed was the [img] tags; that's the bottom, 4/4, link on the photobucket  album page. -MD

n74tg

Welcome to the forum.  I hope that pic is the view you will have from the cabin.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

ScottA

w*

Looks like a nice place you have there. Keep us updated with lots of pics.

Sassy

Gorgeous area!   w*  Yes, we like pix!   :)  Step-by-step also helps others - even your mistakes  ;)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

acmorris  w* This is a great site to hang around on.  You will learn alot just by reading post that others have made. I find most are very useful.

Sassy we don't make mistakes. I like to think of them as unintentional detours

Is a beautiful setting. [cool]

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

acmorris

Thanks to all for the warm welcome to the project forum!

Here are the plans that I'm working on for the 10x14 cabin:

Besides using the Enchilada Plan Kit, I'm also using Rob Thallon's book "Frame Construction" and EEBA's "Builder's Guide to Cold Climates" by Joseph Lstiburek to try to figure things out...but, of course, I've still got some questions--so any help would be much appreciated!

The one big change I'm making from the Plan Kit is that I'd like to run the roof framing long ways (so the 14' side is the gable and not the 10' side). Is this okay to do? I've reoriented the floor framing (see framing plan, below) so everything lines up, but I'm not sure if this is just a bad idea in general.

So here are the framing plans. They are definitely "in progress", but I wanted to show what I'm thinking so far. If you happen to see any "this will end up killing people" decisions, please point those out.
I'm using the wall construction from the EEBA guide...so there's 1/2" sheathing at corners, with 1" rigid insulation over it, and 1 1/2" rigid insulation everywhere else. I'm going to design the corners like shear walls...so I'm going to be doubling up studs at the edges of the sheathing, using tie-downs, etc. But I've still got to do a lot of reading before that's all figured out and drawn in detail!

Finally, here's what I've started thinking for the front (south) elevation.

There are a lot of versions because I'm trying to work out some color and trim ideas. The big blue square is going to be like a sliding barn door type cover for the big picture window to protect it when the cabin is empty.
If anyone loves or hates any of the elevations, I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks so much!
Amanda

MountainDon

Quote from: acmorris on February 16, 2008, 06:32:16 PM
And to Ed for showing me how to post images.

That's ED:   as in EDited:  blah blah blah - MD
MD = MountainDon   
;D
Anyhow, no matter. I've been called lot's worse than Ed.

I do see there seems to be two threads going... this one http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=4072.0;topicseen started earlier today. To simplify keeping track of things, let's all use this one... keep adding posts here, and I'll lockup and refer the other to here. Should be easier in the end as it'll keep all the thought processes in one chronological order.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

acmorris

Huh. I think I liked you better when I thought you're name was Ed and that you were a doctor.  ;D

Thanks for shoring up my posts. I'll get the hang of it.

-Amanda

MountainDon

Regarding the plans...

For the floor joists I'd go with 2x10 IF cold weather is a factor, as it seems from what you want to do with the walls... just for the higher potential insulation value. That's just my choice.

Are you subject to zoning, building code regs, energy conservation codes, etc.? I'd assume so. You may want to check out the Dept of Energy ResChek program. If offers a simple method of analysis for comparing different insulation materials/techniques and seeing how calculate in relation to the state's energy code reqirements. Around here (NM) the permitting departments demand that the plans pass the 2003 IECC; NY uses the 2004, not sure what the differences are off hand.

I noticed one other thing with your plan where the 14 foot walls are the gable ends. That changes the 10 foot walls to be the load bearing walls. Technically that would mean your gable end wall does not require the doubled 2x6 window headers. Instead the doors on the 10 foot wall and the window on the other 10 foot wall would need headers. Non load bearing wall require only a single flat 2x4 or 2x6 above the door/window. Although with your idea of the sliding window cover it might be a good idea to have something to reinforce the wall?  ???  I DO like the idea of protecting the window during absences.

Looking at that 10 ft wall with the double doors. I'm not sure if there's a potential problem with not having a wide enough piece of solid wall at the corners. It depends on what local codes call for; 32 inches is minimum in some places. . I'm not an expert... might need a call to whoever will be approving the plans for the permit. I could be all wet on that... best to check.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Alright, you two.

You now have me going around the house whistling,

"A horse is a horse, of course, of course,
And no one can talk to a horse of course
That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister Ed."

What's it gonna be Don, a doctor, ED or a talking horse? hmm

I hope you are happy now -- that song will be being sung by the voices in my head for the next several hours.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

MountainDon

'cuse us for a sec Stink...

The voices in my head sing in two part harmony.
How about yours, Glenn?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Identity crisis....  ???

Mr. ED (on the right)

Doctor... (one of my favorite movie Doctors)

Don...

OK. Sorry about that Amanda. Back to the thread topic.

glenn kangiser

I was looking for that Don, but I was wanting to prove that you were actually an alien.

Two part harmony...you only have two? ???

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 17, 2008, 12:50:52 AM
... I was wanting to prove that you were actually an alien.
I used to be, and had a government issued card that stated "Resident Alien"

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 17, 2008, 12:50:52 AM
Two part harmony...you only have two? ???
:o dang!

MountainDon

Back to the topic and the elevations...

I would like the two windows on the gable end trimmed out the same, the windows matching (d/h or slider) and all trim painted to the same color as the metal roofing. (I like metal roofing and  because metal roofs have the same color drip and rake pieces, I prefer the fascia to match the roof color. But that's just me. Well, it's K, as well.) Then I'd probably face the sliding cover with the same wall finish as the rest and trim that panel with trim as around the windows and at the corners. OMMV   Not sure I'd do that horizontal trim above the windows / below the gable?  ??? I might just do a Z-strip for rainwater exclusion and be done with it.

jwv

Last one, bottom row is the winner for me.  Coming in second would be #2 from the left, bottom row.  Those colors should work beautifully in your setting.
Your property is beautiful!

Judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

snowlover

acmorris- I have 22 acres in Yates county two lakes over from you in the beautiful finger lakes near Keuka lake. I'm planning on building in the next two years, for now we have a Airstream 5th wheel we stay in when down there. But we live Rochester.  Can't wait to hear how all goes for you getting started. We have inlaws in Ithaca, awesome town.
Good luck

glenn kangiser

Welcome to the Forum, Snowlover.  I'll bet you have some nice scenery there.

snowlover

Thanks Glenn,
I have a 5 acre pond that was dug for landing a float plane on top of the hill. We don't have a plane, but enjoy the view for the runway. We only wanted 5 acres, but we couldn't let this peice of property go after we came accross it.
Craig

glenn kangiser

What a great deal.  Land with a float plane runway.   Keep us updated on your plans please,Craig.