20x30 1 1/2 story in Northern PA

Started by peteh2833, August 24, 2007, 05:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Rough cut is used in the fancy restaurants around here as it looks better than planed and doesn't have those nasty black grade stamps all over it. ::)  Mostly trim areas although I know of one that has the entire truss system made from ungraded rough and no problem.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peteh2833

I got the loft floor joists from an Amish saw mill locally. Really nice wood and his prices were really cheap. For example a 6x12x16 beam was $48 and a 6x6x8 post was $12. It will look nice when it is all installed. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

glenn kangiser

.50 per bf.  - a good price for custom cut.

Our local guy likes to get $1.00 bf

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peteh2833

Thanks. Thats what I thought. Also, I was surprised as to how easy it was to make the let in ledger. I just clamped 20 2x6's together at a time and marked out the ledger. I made a cut down each side and then unclamped them and plunge cut each one. Used a chisel to finish the rest and then did the cripple studs as needed. Very easy and they came out perfect. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

glenn kangiser

Good on the ledger let in, Pete.  Many are afraid of it but it really isn't too hard.

peteh2833

Well I have a cousin that lives close to my camp and I asked him to go over an check on the place today. We had extremely high winds here in Pa on Sunday and alot of rain on Saturday. The building wasn't too bad. The tarp started to hold some water in a spot and got so heavey that it didn't blow away but it pulled the one long wall in on the top. I didn't have the double plate on yet but had all 4 walls tied together and braced. He let the water out of the tarp by putting a hole in it and then rebraced the wall for me. I just have to check it next time I'm up there to see if it is still all plumb and square. It sucks cause I had it all perfectly square and plumb. If I would have left the tarp off it wouldn't have been a problem. Oh well ..... Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

peteh2833

I got a price for the metal for the roof. $1339 includes all the panels, the facia metal, the gable end metal, the ridge cap/vent, the blocks for the ends of the panels, and tax. Hope to get the rafters up in the next 2 weekends and then take the final measurements and order the metal. Sounds like a good price to me. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

glenn kangiser

About $2 psf complete is good I think -- about $5.50 per running foot out here with no trim - 3' wide.

peteh2833

Went to camp on Friday night and stayed till Saturday evening. We got alot done in a day. We set the 2 center 6x12x16 beams and got all the loft joists up and the rest of the sheathing on except for the back. We will be heading up next weekend to frame the roof out and hopefully get the sheathing on. Here is some pics of the work. Those 6x12x16 beams were heavy!!!!!! Pete

Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Redoverfarm

Making good progress for a weekend warrior.   With three people you can work fast on the rafters.  One cut man(on the ground)  and two on the top(one at the ridge and the other onthe eve).   Looks like you will beat the snow if you have two or three good weekends.  Your weather is not that different than ours and I would say we have a good month left before things start to turn nastier.

peteh2833

Thanks. I think I'll beat the snow. I have a weeks vacation planned the first week in November and I hope to putting on the metal roof by then and throwing in a couple windows and the front door. I have several rolls of Typar for the exterior. Should I staple that on or use the nails with the plastic round caps? Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Whitlock

Nice work hope you get her dryed in soon [cool]
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Redoverfarm

If it were mine I would use the button nails.  Yes staples are easier but they do not hold as well especially in the long term.

Speaking of which I am not sure what your time frame is about installing the metal roof.  I assume it should be fairly close since you priced it out.  If not you might consider Titaninum Felt instead of 15# or 30# felt for extended time also installed with button nails.  IMO it is a good product that will last 12-18 months without a worry of blowing off or rain penetration.

glenn kangiser

Staples will likely pull through soon.  Plastic button nails will deteriorate within about a year here - but lots of sun here.  UV eats the plastic.

PA-Builder

Lookin' good Pete.  You got a lot done Saturday.  No rain expected for next weekend at this point, and just a shower or two this week.  Your "roof" should hold.

peteh2833

Thanks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I hope I can get all the rafters up and the plywood on the roof next weekend. I might be able to stay till monday since thekids are off school.

Redoverfarm, where do you get the Titanium Felt? Is Titanium Felt the same as Permafelt??? I was hoping to get the roof on this fall so I could work on it this winter and use it. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

John Raabe

Nice looking beam work. They'll take on a lot of character over the years. I well remember putting in our DF 6x16 20' footers... that was lot of beef to get up in the air. :o
None of us are as smart as all of us.

peteh2833

Thanks John. I thought they would look nice. I couldn't find any 4x12x20's that would span the distance since the lumber back here in the east is hemlock or white pine. The Amish do saw nice wood!!!! Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Redoverfarm

Most building/lumber yards have it. I am sure that Lowes or HD have it also.

Here is a link and what to look for.

http://www.interwrap.com/titanium/udl_30_main.html

Mine installed

Redoverfarm

Peteh to find a dealer/distributor of the felt in your area just click closest to you. I think these are distributor so there are probably more available in retail sales.  You could call them toll free to find a lumber yard that handles

http://interwrap.searchradius.com/locator.php

sharbin

WOW.. that is amazing. Looks very nice. :)

I also went this weekend and bought lumber from a saw mill.
I got 4x8x10' for joists, 6x6x8' and 6x6x124.5'' for posts (one for the loft and 2 for the open ceiling part), and 3X 6x8x10' for beams. I will be seating the joist flushed to the face of the beam using iron angles.

However, I was scared when I saw the 6x8  :-[. The lumber guy helped me put them in my trailer, but when I got to the cottage, I could barely move them  :(. I then realized that I am may be over my head of what I am capable of lifting (I am by myself) ??? I am contemplating the idea of replacing the 6x8x10 with one 4x8x10 and one 2x8x10 jointed together for the loft area (loft is 10 feet wide and 8 feet high). As for the open ceiling area (20 feet wide and 124.5 inches, i.e. sitting on the wall top), I think I will use two 4x8x10 for beams (it only serves as a connection between the 4x8x10 joists on each side of the beam), as well as 4x4x124.5 for posts, with having the 2 beams sitting each 2" on the middle post supported with iron angle. What do you guys think  :-\

Sorry to hijack the post, but the big question that I have is, How did you manage to lift the 6X12X16 and How many guys did it take?

Sharbin

glenn kangiser

How about a temporary "A" frame and a rope block and tackle or come-along.  Beams can be rolled on short pipes on a clean floor.  Harbor Freight has small winches that will do it also.  Or a boat winch.  Be careful.

peteh2833

Sharbin,  It was me, my dad, my brother and my brother in law. We set the center post and then we lifted the one side of the beam up into the wall and the other end was resting on the floor. We slid it out alittle past the end wall since the sheathing wasn't on that section yet. We then went to the end that goes on the post and lifted it up onto the post. We then did the same for the other side. Next we installed all the loft joists. Then went back and installed the last 2 posts. Any other questions just ask. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

sharbin

Nice team work.

I found a material lift "Genie - SLC12" that can lift up to 12 feet and can lift up to 650 lbs:). I was squeezing my brain but did not think about it till Glenn talked about a type of lifts (thanks), then it hit me. I googled and found a local tools renting place "Simplex" that has this lift that can do the job.  http://www.simplex.ca/en/Products/Products.aspx?idCat=15&prodID=484.

peteh2833

If I was close I'd give you a hand. I know what its like to work alone and it is alwyas nice to have some help. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp