16 x 20’ Shed with Covered Porch in Northern Minnesota

Started by mnboatman, September 21, 2011, 12:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnboatman

16 x 20' Shed with Covered Porch in Northern Minnesota
I wanted a shed to keep things in at our lake place in Northern Minnesota. I found a nice plan for a 12x16' shed in a recent home handyman magazine. My father-in-law said he would help but that it wasn't big enough. I settled for 16x20. I decided to extend the gable roof by 10' to cover a patio that would be supported by two concrete piers and some heavy timbers.  I wanted it on a slab so I could put any motorized toys I may acquire in the future as well as an old riding lawn mower that was in use. In June I got agreement where to place it—25 feet from the lot line and 170 feet back from the lake.
In July I had the rocky clay top soil and sod removed and four truck loads of pit run gravel brought in and leveled.

I ran the sprinkler for a day to pack the base down and laid out the 16x20 forms using PT 2x6s. The next time I came up, I picked up 10 bags of Sakrete and dug two 22x22" footings.

I mixed up the concrete in a wheel barrel and added some rebar and soon had two footings to base the pillar bases on.

I dry stacked six 16x16" concrete blocks on one side and seven on the other and had my bases ready for concrete. AS luck would have it the tops of the blocks were exactly level.

Left over from a previous stenciled driveway project 12 years ago, I had a almostfull roll of mock herringbone stencil. I decided to use that and picked up some dry color hardener to give me slab a brick look.
On a dry day in August I ordered 9-1/2 yards of 4,000 Pound concrete. The plant was an hour away.
As scheduled the truck arrived at 10am. We started the pour. Step one was filling the concrete block with rebar and concrete. They did not move. Then we filled the forms and screed a flat surface.

Next we bull floated.

Rounding the edges and placing the wall anchor bolts.

A few frantic hours followed (with no photos) as we scrambled to place the stencil, float it in and work the color harder into the cream. The concrete was a little faster than we were so I now have a few areas with a distressed brick look. It adds to the rustic character.
Two weeks later I had a truck load of lumber delivered and picked up some heavy timbers at a nearby saw mill. I also lined a crew to play carpenter for a weekend.
Laying out the walls:

Tilt them up

Lift and align the wall onto the anchor bolts:

Wall # 1 up and partially braced:

Wall # 2 going up:

Added the anchor bolt nuts:

Aligning the corners:

Working on the top sill plate:

Trimming some more studs:

Wall number four:

Starting the timber work
Trying to get all the timbers up in the air and stable:

Brace it:

Now just lift that 16 foot 6x10" nine feet up and set it on the two 6x6" posts and don't drop it.

Sliding it up bit by bit with a few brackets and braces to keep it from going too far:

Time to call it a night:

The next day with the temporary braces removed:

The next steps include raising a 32' ridge beam and rafters.

Barry Broome

"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

duncanshannon

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

mnboatman

I Made it up North a couple of times in October to work on my rafters and roof.
Here is my progress:
Raised the 4x10" 32 foot ridge beam 16' up.

Started in the back placing 12' long 2x8" rafters:

24 rafters up on Saturday:

Placing the front ridge beam post:

All 34 rafters in place:

View from the top:

Placing the OSB Sheathing:

Half a water proof roof:

Was able to get up North last weekend to work on the roof.
Installing the Fascia Trim:
( 1x10" White Pine with brushed finished)

Placing the Prosnap steel roof:

One side done:

Made some progress on side two:

Got 2/3rd of the steel up but ran out of weekend:

duncanshannon

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

Native_NM

Fantastic build!  Nice design, nice craftsmanship, and a nice view from the top!   [cool] [cool]
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

OlJarhead

[cool]  Love to see others cabins :)

Wish I could have gotten that far in a couple weekends!  WOW!

mnboatman

Quote from: OlJarhead on November 09, 2011, 12:20:24 PM
[cool]  Love to see others cabins :)

Wish I could have gotten that far in a couple weekends!  WOW!

Here is the labor in so far:

• Two weekends (solo) doing slab forms, rebar and footings.
    Half day ( x 3) on the slab
    Two days ( x 3-1/2 ) doing walls and timbers
    Two days ( x 2) doing rafters and roof sheathing
    One evening (solo) building the 8x15' loft
    Two days ( x 2 )staining and installing Fascia trim and roof steel
    Numerous trips to Menards, Home Depot, and the local lumber store and saw mill to research and buy supplies.

Most the work tasks were new  for me and my volunteer help knew even less. I did hire an experienced guy to help with the rafters. That made a big difference.
I've learned quite a bit reading this forum and I've built this project in my head a few times.

I've been searching Craigslist for some deals on windows. Their installation will have to wait until spring.

mnboatman

The last time I was up north, I ran out of weekend before I had the final 20' of steel roof on. I had to shut all my water down because winter could happen anytime. I had hoped to come back another weekend with a friend and finish things up (16 16 inch panels and a ridge cap).

My wife suggested that I get someone else to wrap it up. After a few phone calls, I had someone who was highly recommended come out and finish it.
I usually burn up 40+ gallons of gas when I make the round trip. So this saved me a day off from work and a bit of gas money.

In the mean time I was looking for windows to put in my upper back gable. I wanted to let some light in but not have it open to prying eyes.
I found two new triangle/ trapezoid Marvin windows on Craiglist (6'x4'). They are cut for a 10/12 slope roof and I estimate my slope at 8.7/12. They should fit nicely. The best part was that the windows were only$100 each.

Sadly, I may have to wait until spring to go up and frame them in.

mnboatman

I have not posted in a while but here are some updates.

I drove up North back in February and was barely able to drive in through one foot of drift packed snow.

As I had hoped, the snow did not stay on the roof.

While I was there we unloaded the two trapezoid windows that I had found on Craigslist a few months earlier.

I also got to enjoy some lake top cross country skiing on a beautiful winter day.

mnboatman

The gable windows are in on the back side:

We almost dropped one trying to raise it up ten feet on a breezy day:

I built a rebar railing for the loft to keep my kids from falling. I also made a raise-able ladder:

mnboatman

With a wet spring and summer, there was a bit of erosion as run off came down the grassy hillside and puddled next to the slab. I added some landscape timbers to slow down the roof runoff. I also started digging a trench for flexible drain tile.

[cool]

Next up 700+ square feet of 2x8" log siding.

ColchesterCabin

Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

mnboatman

I got back to do more of the exterior.
I picked up 700 SQFT of 2x8 log siding.

The first step was to lay out some long saw horses and start staining ( both sides).
We got most of them covered before the five gallon pail was empty.

Next I took four 12' long cedar logs had a right angle ripped on them ( by the mill).

The next step was to notch out a 4-5" corner:

The circular saw only goes 2 ½" deep. After a few passes it was time for my framing chisel and chain saw.

Getting four corners up took eight hours rather than the two I had hoped for.

The fun part was putting on the siding. It went much faster.

ColchesterCabin

Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

Sassy

Guess I must've missed the latest postings - great build & beautiful area!  Really nice!  Hopefully you will post some more so we can see the inside  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

mountainlady1956

That would be a great porch to sit on. Almost makes me want to stick my toes in. Bet that's some cold water!!  ::)

BenB

What lake or did I miss it somewhere above?
Reminds me of Kab or Rainey or maybe Vermillion?
Gorgeous .... nice job!!  :)

mnboatman

Quote from: BenB on September 09, 2012, 09:45:58 AM
What lake or did I miss it somewhere above?
Reminds me of Kab or Rainey or maybe Vermillion?
Gorgeous .... nice job!!  :)

Good guess, but it is on a large and undisclosed  lake somewhere near Voyageurs National Park and Lake Vermilion.