12x16 on skids in WI

Started by White Pine, January 31, 2011, 03:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Pine

Hello, I thought I would share our project since I checked this site repeatedly during the build. I have a ton of progress shots but will just give an overview now. Thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge with the rest of us on sites like this one!

rdzone

Very nice place.  Looking forward to addtional photos. 
Chuck

muldoon

Looks cozy.  You have to love have far the dollars for interior finish goes in such a small place. 

Do you have any restroom facilities?  Any incoming water? 

White Pine

Thanks guys. Nope, no water, no toilet. I think final cost ended up around $5000. The stove is a Jotul. Heats up great!

davestreck

Nice job! We have similar tastes:

12 x 16 is a good, manageable size. I like your interior setup.
--
Sláinte...

Dave

"Bíonn caora dhubh ar an tréad is gile"

White Pine

Cool Dave! I am planning on braceing the porch posts too. Our places are going to look even more similar! haha

astidham

very Nice looking place White Pine!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

pbarr

very nice. planing to build same style 16x20

Sassy

Really like it!  It's amazing how roomy the cabin looks!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

SouthernTier

Agree, looks way bigger than my 10x10, yet is only 60% bigger.  And very bright!

I am not expert, but am hoping to become one if I keep reading all the posts here.   But here is a post (and several following that) from someone who *is* an expert that may apply to your stove:

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=9259.msg124111#msg124111

Just FYI.

grandmasplayhouse

Just love your cabin!
     We have a similar one,12x14 with porch. I really enjoy seeing other ideas and yours are very nice. I wanted to share our sawdust outhouse idea with you. It works so well in a remote setting without electricity or plumbing like ours. A large steel pan pulls out of the back. Inside we have put a plastic tub lined with a contractor bag. We put sawdust in that and when we use it we put a fresh scoop of sawdust and a sprinkle of carpet fresh. No  bad smells and when we go home the bag is changed and put in the garbage. Has worked well for a weekend of use and I you have a party or get together just change more often. I also have a mirror inside for hair combing and a shelf outside that holds a jug of handwashing water. On the side you can see the solor vent we installed.Works nice in hot weather.A shower is next. An outdoor shower is better than no shower.

Hope you like our ideas.

With a little work my grandchildren will grow up with a love of nature and a feel for a life without indoor plumbing.(If only for a short weekend) What fun to visit Grandmas Playhouse

Brandon

If you dont mind did you use Andy Sheldon's plans for this cabin?  Great place by the way.

Aidzee

speedfunk

great outhouse design.  It is just organic matter though why waste all the energy towing it back..then the garbage truck to transfer station when you can just dump it and compost it onsite? 

Really nice place BTW (original poster)

Pritch

That is really nice, White Pine!  I'd love to see additional photos and details.  Welcome out of lurkdom! 
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

hillbillyjake

hi first time here,just wanted to say the 12x16 on skids is the neatest cabin i,ve seen,me and my family are building a12x16 with loft ,i would like to see more interior pics of this cabin . [cool]

hillsvillehermit

I'm amazed! The interior looks huge to only be 12x16!! I'm with the others - I want to see more pics! This is a gorgeous little cabin!

gardensandcabins

Agree, I showed my wife your cabin, and she loved it too.. Wish there were more pictures.
We love how you did the pine boards on the inside. Have you had any trouble with the planks swelling in the summer?

TC Matt

this is beautiful and exactly what I'm hoping to build.  Do you have plans that you're willing to share or sell?