Garden thread.

Started by peg_688, April 12, 2006, 08:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MushCreek

Despite the unusually late, cold spring this year, I'm going to plant today. My huge (32 square foot) garden takes about 10 minutes of work to do. Eventually, I'm going to put in a garden of about 25 X 50, but I need to build the house first!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

PEG688

Got some plants in the ground today ,

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Pine Cone

Making progress.  We are working hard to make new beds in our new garden area this year. 

Here is a frequent backyard visitor, a juvenile bald eagle that is scruffy since it is between juvenile and adult plumage.  So far the eagles have left our ducks alone...

Plastic fake half-barrel, with heirloom tomato and basil.  Right off the kitchen

Tomato & Cilantro

Hanging baskets for color

Our front porch

Front garden, a work in progress

Strawberries

Potatoes

Two months ago

PEG688

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Redoverfarm

I have a small patch of strawberries.  Seems that there is a small grey bug/worm that likes ripe berries better than I do.  As soon as they get ripe they get attacked.   >:(  End up with nice berries that have eaten cavities on the tops.  Any idea what they are or how to get rid of them?  Hate to use any pesticides as when I would need to use it is about the time they need to be picked.

Pine Cone

Update for the end of July 2013.  Lots of flowers in front of the house in containers.

Back deck have mostly herbs and veggies

Main garden in front, done with peas, most of the potatoes, tomatoes, squash, artichokes, carrots, and cabbage ready or almost ready.  Corn, beans, more carrots, onions almost ready to pick!

Pine Cone

2014 Garden update

More beds this year, both raised beds and tilled areas.  Started later, results seem similar by mid-summer.

Windpower

we harvested 48 pounds of tomatoes this morning

there are at least that still out there that aren't quite ripe yet

MMMmmmmmm
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Pine Cone

May 22, 2015 Garden Progress
About half of last year's artichoke plants survived the winter giving us a huge leap forward this year.

Tomato cages made from concrete mesh, more artichokes

Year 3 since I planted asparagus so we got to eat some this spring.  Onions and peas looking good!

Hoop house with floating row cover.  Experiment seems to be working!

Panoramic overview

Looking back though this thread you can see the progress we have made.  Should have our first grapes next year, they have flowered this year but I will pinch them off if they start to set fruit.  Vine are big enough yet, and I am still woking on the basic trellis structure.  Not happy with one plants shape, but I got a new shoot last week where I wanted one and hope to train it this summer.

We had our first salads with lettuce and kale from the garden this week.  First planting of peas is about to flower.  This year I am trying two new plants - celeriac and lemongrass.  Haven't planted the celeriac yet, but I have about a half dozen lemongrass plants comming along.

MountainDon

Hey Pine Cone.  We had very good performance from hoop gardens a few years ago. We used a breathable fabric material that was made for covering starter rows in big market gardens. That worked very nicely up at our cabin (8800 feet). 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Pine Cone

Quote from: MountainDon on May 22, 2015, 09:24:16 PM
Hey Pine Cone.  We had very good performance from hoop gardens a few years ago. We used a breathable fabric material that was made for covering starter rows in big market gardens. That worked very nicely up at our cabin (8800 feet).

We are using a similar fabric this year.  Two years ago we tried poly film and had poor results, lots of hassle trying to keep things watered and cool if it got too sunny.  The breathable fabric is much easier to deal with vs the plastic film, and it doesn't make as good a sail.  We had problems with the plastic blowing off the hoops in strong winds (from the ends) and then damaging young plants as it blew around in the wind. 

Veggies in the hoop bed are more than double the size of others planted at the same time. 

We are at sea level but because we are on Puget Sound it never gets very warm and the hoop house seems to help warm the soil much faster in the spring.  We have used the row covers to get frost protection in the past and it works well for that, but so far we are pleased with how this is working.

Don_P

Yeeow, just touched my eyelid... but we are having an awesome pepper year  ;D

glenn kangiser

So, anyone else got the garden going this year?

I know for some gopher love prevents doing any bad deeds against them, but for me, welfare of my family comes first and any invading gophers will now be buried right back in their holes to support my vegetable garden growth and ....to warn their friends.....  >:(

I got these.....

You can get them from Victor   http://www.victorpest.com/victor-the-blackbox-gopher-trap-b0625-3?gclid=Cj0KEQjww7zHBRCToPSj_c_WjZIBEiQAj8il5OOU5K_VSXw7cfN0diUQO2NWP9R-Qa_Y8GT8a9dePhIaAkth8P8HAQ

or Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Black-Gopher-Trap-0625/dp/B000FBMFDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492110957&sr=8-1&keywords=black+box+gopher+trap
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MushCreek

Most of our tiny raised bed is planted. Peas are growing well; I hope they produce before it gets too hot. Last weekend, I set out a couple Cherokee Purple tomatoes. Not sure what to do with the last few feet. Our winter was so warm that everything is early. Last summer was very hot- so hot, that the peppers and tomatoes quit producing for a two month period, then took up again in the fall.

Last year's success story was a single cucumber plant that a friend gave me. I had no place to put it, so I planted it behind a little flower bed by the front porch. We picked over 50 full-sized cucumbers from that one plant! No thanks; I'll pass on the pickles for now.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

glenn kangiser

We have a similar heat problem. Some plants just like to outdo themselves. We like to keep enough growing to have something to eat in case of a burp in the supply chain.

We plant several hundred onions and we let some go to seed so have volunteers also.

We looked for Cherokee Purple yesterday, but none so took another heirloom variety besides our standard Early Girls and a few cherries.  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.