Detailed instructions for installing a septic system

Started by Arky217, August 04, 2010, 02:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arky217

Anyone have a link to detailed instructions on installing a septic system ?

Need info on things like:
Minimum size of tank (it will be a plastic tank, remote location) for 2 persons; blackwater only, gray water will go elsewhere.
Slope to tank, slope to dist. box, slope to lateral lines.
Trouble with too shallow or too steep slopes.
Minimum number and length of lateral lines.
How to install tank, dist. box, lateral lines; depth, fill, etc.
Possibility of eliminating dist. box, using 1 lateral line ?

Thanks,
Arky

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Arky217 on August 04, 2010, 02:50:43 PM
Anyone have a link to detailed instructions on installing a septic system ?

Need info on things like:
Minimum size of tank (it will be a plastic tank, remote location) for 2 persons; blackwater only, gray water will go elsewhere.
Slope to tank, slope to dist. box, slope to lateral lines.
Trouble with too shallow or too steep slopes.
Minimum number and length of lateral lines.
How to install tank, dist. box, lateral lines; depth, fill, etc.
Possibility of eliminating dist. box, using 1 lateral line ?

Thanks,
Arky

You might check with your health department.  They oversee the rules and regs for ours.

suburbancowboy

You will want to check your county codes.  They are all different.  I had to have a septic inspection certificate to get the building permit.

rick91351

Your state / county most time will tell you what you will put in.  In most places they will tell you how to do it.  There are very specific distances from live creeks, wells and your house.  I have put in several and believe me do not tell them what you are going to do.... They around here will shut you down so quick and they do not much care if you have a return to work or not.   

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Bill Houghton

Quote from: Squirl on August 04, 2010, 03:17:42 PM
http://www.eco-nomic.com/septic.htm
http://www.inspectapedia.com/septic/NYS75-A.0.htm

Wow, fascinating reading on this site.  Thanks for posting it.  I can't believe I spent the better part of an hour reading there.   :)
FWIW, if I had the choice between a mound and a sand filter, I'd choose the sand filter.  I just hate the looks of a mound.  The sand filter has straight sides and fits in more with my sense of symmetry, etc...