Think I need a truck

Started by fraggin, March 17, 2009, 09:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraggin

The Cars thread reminded me, I'm been pondering becoming a truck owner.
I've only owned a truck once, and it wasnt really a practical truck. It was a Lifted, 4x4 Toyota truck with a half camper and 33" mud grips and had a paint job that cost more than the truck. It was purple with a pearl coat. so, at night it looked midnight blue and during the day, almost pink. (stop  [rofl2] )

It was 'fun' but it was also semi-useful for moving and hauling things. At the time, I rarely used it for anything other than tearing up the earth and wooing women.

Now, I drive a Mazda CX-7. I really love it. It's got the speed, accelleration and handling of a sports car, but the room and safety of an SUV. 

But since I'm now a home owner, I often find myself limited by home projects because I have nothing to haul stuff like full sheets of plywood, lumber, landscaping materials,etc. I can borrow my Brother's truck anytime, but it's such a hassle and I feel obligated to either buy him food gas or beer for his time, that it makes it not worthwhile.

Right now, most people I know are downsizing their vehicles, and those that still drive trucks complain about gas prices still.  But seeing how I want to build a cabin in the woods, It's almost a must that I have a truck.

Shopping for supplies for the cabin, I come across deals on craigslist all the time. If I had a truck yesterday, I could have picked up a pedastal sink in perfect condition for free during my lunch break. Since I want to collect used/recycled materials for the cabin, I see no other way than by having something big enough to haul things.

I'm at odds with the decision. I love my current car. I've thought about buying used and paying cash, but most trucks in my price range are old company beaters that have over 300K miles. I really don't have the extra room in my driveway for a 3rd vehicle. The only other option is to buy a trailer for my SUV, but I'm not even sure what the tow capacity is on the CX-7, and, I would also have to find a spot to store my trailer when it's not in use.

Any advice?

bayview

I prefer cargo vans . . . Various makes and models over the years.  I can haul about everything inside and lumber with the rooftop carriers.  Bonus is I can lock up my tools, etc.  Larger vans can pull trailers . . .
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MountainDon

You last thought about the trailer was my first thought. I have no idea what the trailering abilities of that CX7 is though.

I have a 4'1.25" x 8'1.25" (ID) steel box utility trailer, 16 " high sides with a dropped axle and 15" wheels. I have had since about 1980. I have never owned a pickup; mostly we've had SUV like vehicles. The trailer has been a godsend.

I carry longer than 8 foot lumber on the top of the box. I have made the tongue extendable to allow for carrying up to 16 foot, although that becomes a careful balancing act and requires slower speeds.

I must admit that a full size pickup would be nice at times, and also a 12+ ft flat bed trailer would also be nice at times. However, they cost more money and take up more space than I care to dedicate to. For the big project of our cabin I had the bulk of the materials delivered for a small fee. That was much better than hauling it all myself or having thousands tied up in relatively seldom used equipment.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I'd be naked without my truck.  What would I wear? [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

The towing capacity of the CX7 is only 2000 pounds.  :(  That's not too practical as far as towing a trailer that will do you much good. My Cherokee is rated for 5000#

I think you need a truck or a bigger tow vehicle.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

fraggin

That's what I was afraid of.

Redoverfarm

Glenn I am with you.  Now that would be a sight. I mean you not me.  ;D

considerations

"I'd be naked without my truck.  What would I wear?"

OMG! By all means, keep the truck!

glenn kangiser

rofl Considerations .... I'm such a stud.... [waiting]

John, you should have seen Sassy and I riding our Honda 70 across the desert at the Hot Springs. 8 miles one way.  [rofl2]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

glenn kangiser

I had an old one I had to Photoshop sunflowers over, but it seems lost forever. [waiting]

river place

I used to have a 2002 Toyota Tacomma 4x4 which was a great truck but mileage wasn't that great.  Would have kept it except for the fact that I needed a tow vehicle to haul our road race track day car which the Tacomma couldn't do comfortably.

Ended up trading it in on a new 2004 crew cab GMC 2500 4x4 with the duramax diesel.  Tows great and even hauled our 33ft travel trailer to our build site with ease.  70K miles on the GMC now.

My wife has a Miata as her everyday car but lets face it it's not comfortable for long drives and a bit noisy on the hwy but it sure is fun.  She has also started taking to to road race track days (have a theme going here).

In Dec 09 we decided to look for another vehicle for her everyday car that got reasonably good mileage but would also be a tow/hauling vehicle that got better mileage than the truck when we needed to go to the build site as it's 320 miles one way.  We don't always fill the truck with gear. 

We ended up with a used 2004 Volvo XC70 wagon with 70K miles on it (pre 2003 used a different awd system that had problems).  it can tow 3klbs has all wheel drive and gets 28 on the hwy at 75.  These were not cheap new and on the used market they were still expensive.  However with the economy the way it is we got it for 6K off the usual wholesale price which made it cheap.  We made a good deal but we've seen pricices dropping on used ones now. 

Still love our truck but may want to give a wagon a thought.

Redoverfarm

Another day that I am glad I have a truck. Went to Johnson City TN yesterday to pu some used kitchen cabinets, stove, dishwasher, microwave that my cousin gave us. She is remodeling her kitchen. It took two trucks to get the complete set but nothing was left behind.  The day started at 4AM and ended at 11PM.  Round trip it was about 750-800 miles.  Almost uneventfull if it hadn't been for the gal that forced me into the median at Abington,VA at 70 MPH at an on ramp.  She apparently didn't see me next to her when she merged into the passing lane to allow someone in the primary lane from the on-ramp.  After driving about 200 yards in the grass I was able to get it back on the pavement. Boy I am glad that I decided not to tke the 16' trailer with me or you would probably still be picking up pieces of me along I-81.  And to top it all off it was a race weekend at Bristol Raceway so traffic was at it's premium. 

Here is a picture of the Beverly Hillbillies "West Virginia style" .  The only thing not shown is the rocking chair and grandma on the top.

When I finally get around to finishing up the shop I will be set with corain counter tops and all.   

southernsis

We couldn't get by without our truck, Dodge quadcab 4x4 diesel and we have a 16 ft trailer. Comes in handy. One thing we use a lot is an old Dodge 4x4 Raider 2 door suv. Pulled the back seats out and use it to haul wood, rock and pull things out. It is small enough to turn and use close to the lake. She ain't pretty anymore but still runs great. I would hate to be without our truck.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.