So You Think You Have A Unique Name?

Started by MountainDon, March 11, 2009, 06:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

There's a website called    that's sort of interesting. Using US Census data you can search to see if there are other people with your name and how many. It only uses first and last names so if you have a really weird middle name(s) that doesn't help sort you out. I almost hesitate to list this as it provides Glenn with yet another level of uniqueness.

Click HERE or on the banner above to get there.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

There are
people with my name in the U.S.A.

I know there is a gal about 30 miles south of me with the same name but different middle initial.

Terry

cool website. There are 6 people with my name. I searched my daughter's name and apparently she is the only one.  :)
Terry

Born Free - Taxed To Death

Jens

1 or fewer people named Jens Juhl.  I would think that StinkerBell would be more unique than that ;D
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

MountainDon

Actually Stinker Bell comes up twice.   ;D ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

diyfrank

Home is where you make it

diyfrank

1 named mickey mouse and 28 named donald duck. 
Home is where you make it

r8ingbull

The one and only...

However it shows only 337 with the same last name...Kind of odd considering I have 64 male cousins + their kids/spouses...

Redoverfarm

Mine 102
DW      7
Son     24
Daughter 6

Dog   1

rwanders

Call my name in a crowd and at least two guys will say; What??  (Bob Anderson)  However, I did go to high school with a girl who was saddled with

"GloriousVirgin Johnson"
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

n74tg

The website says there are 1 or fewer with the same name as me.  My son is a junior, so there are at least two.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

If I'm fewer, maybe they won't find me... :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I ran a few odd family member names. The results lead me to believe those web site numbers are slightly suspect on the low frequency names. It comes up with "1 or fewer" for my wife for example. We know there are two others for certain.

What could be causing this though is someone who has a first name, say Clementine, and because she doesn't like that name he uses her middle name, Karen.

No my wife's name is not Clementine.

Ernest T. Bass

Well, I think it says "1 or fewer" when there really aren't any in the system, as you are obviously (or hopefully) referring to a real person. There are other times when it actually says "1 person".

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Homegrown Tomatoes

Heck there were four kids with the same first name when I was in school, and in the neighboring town, there was a girl with the same first and last name, and the same middle initial.  Then in highschool at one of my first real jobs, there was a girl with the same first and middle name as me, and even the same spelling (my middle name is spelled weird).  I haven't heard of any others with my married name... but I'm sure they're out there.  Have to run a check and see.

Squirl

27 people with the same name.  If they had a middle initial catagory, I am the only one.  I have access to some of these databases at work. Fun.

Homegrown Tomatoes

There are 48 with my married name and more than 2,000 with my maiden name.  I knew it was common, but didn't realize how much so.  My oldest daughter must be the only one with her name... I tried to give all my kids unique names because mine was so incredibly common.  My second daughter also comes up as one or less, and my littlest one is one of 16.  DH is also the only one with his name.

MountainDon

A related thought. Is it advantageous to have a unique name and stand out, or to have a common name and be lost in the crowd?

Redoverfarm

I tried my Maiden name also and it comes up the same. d* ;D