someone's gonna get a bargain

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 09, 2008, 10:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muldoon

I still had my fingers crossed from the last one, but I'll be keeping them that way until your all done.  Sounds promising, hoping for the best.  Sure would make a nice Christmas present. 

ScottA

Hope it works out HG. I was in OKC today. It was cold there too.  ;D

StinkerBell

I am so very happy for you.
One, because you deserve to have this done with.
Two, so now I can step  in and complain about my home not selling. heh

akemt

Yay, homegrown!  I hope it all goes through...and quickly!  Our JUST closed Wednesday after over a year of waiting.  We didn't get much out of it, but we were SO glad to see it go so that we can be "free."  Best wishes!
Catherine

Stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of 6 in "nowhere" Alaska

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: StinkerBell on December 04, 2008, 09:04:01 PM
I am so very happy for you.
One, because you deserve to have this done with.
Two, so now I can step  in and complain about my home not selling. heh
Rant on, Stink!  I feel your pain.... it's been 10 months since we moved and finally, though I may just be hallucinating, I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm trying not to count chickens just yet, but kinda hard not to.  Don't know that I deserve to be done with it or not, but sure will be glad to be free!

Scott, it has been a bit chilly...went out earlier to pull a branch out that had fallen into the dogs' water...water came out with it.   ??? 

Homegrown Tomatoes

Dan, will peanut brittle do?  I just bought a bunch of big bags of locally grown peanuts the other day and that's sort of what I had in mind. ;D

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, don't have it all in writing yet, but it sounds like they are accepting our counter offer; they have accepted verbally, and are in a hurry to get it ready to close.  They are wanting to close before the new year, so they're working to get all the inspections, etc. done now.  Whew!  I'm still trying hard not to count my chicks before they hatch, but the cute little cabin in the woods is still available for sale at the present time.  Hope it all works out this time.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Three weeks till the date they set for closing.  Hope it happens.  We're still negotiating the fine points, but the price is already agreed upon.  Hope that they get their ducks in a row so that we can have the money ready in time for closing.  I'd hate for them to be homeless in WI in the winter.  As we're dealing again with the frustration of using a go-between (realtors) I just wish we could speak directly with the buyers and we'd probably git 'er done a lot faster and with everyone happy.  Hopefully by this afternoon we'll have all the written agreements done with so that we can move on to the well inspection and so forth.

akemt

Catherine

Stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of 6 in "nowhere" Alaska

StinkerBell

Homegrown Tomatoes

It's under contract, but don't feel like our realtor is doing us any favors.... it's a long story.  Anyway, I haven't heard from her in two days and am really starting to wonder what's really going on and what's going to happen with it.  I'm thinking that the negative impact that our realtor is having on this deal is not so much out of maliciousness as it is ignorance.   :-\  ANyway, hope it still goes through. 

southernsis

Homegrown, how is the deal going? Ask your agent questions and make her/him give you answers. I have may fingers crossed for you.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Ssis,
I sent you a message. 

We are waiting to hear back from her still.  Hopefully, if they're going to do the sewer inspection, they've already done it or set it up at least.  I asked my realtor why on earth she gave the previous home inspection to them (it was a confidential report for the previous buyers and bought at their expense.... I am assuming that it was because they decided not to do an inspection and that she was trying to help "speed the process".)  However, when the inspection was done she said herself it was the worst one she'd ever seen because of the way the inspector wrote it... he made minor, minor issues sound like deal breakers.  (Remember he was going to charge the other buyers something like $45 to re-attach a downspout -- a two minute, max, job?)  Anyway, in his report, he said that although he left the water running (for close to an hour) in the house and flushed the toilet numerous time and everything "seemed" fine, the buyers may want to have a sewer inspection because it is an older house and because there are mature trees in the yard.  Now after we have a signed counter offer, the buyers suddenly want us to go back to the counter-offer that is already signed (their counter, incidentally) and add another clause to it about them having the right to do a sewer inspection.  I told them no because that would be forgery for us to add to a contract after they've already signed it, and more so since it was their counter in the first place.  I told them they could inspect the sewer, test for lead paint and radon gas or whatever the heck they want to do, but they need to remember we have a signed contract and the deal stands.  They're getting $4k at closing for "repairs", even though the total of all the stupid nitpicky stuff that the inspector for the previous buyers only amounted to $2K.... they have enough to fix absolutely ANYTHING wrong or potentially wrong with that house.... and now I don't know what is going on because we haven't heard a word from our realtor since I told her that I wouldn't change a contract that was already done, and if they needed to amend it, then they could type up the amendment themselves and we would consider it.  They are already getting the house for nearly 18K LESS THAN WE OWE (not less than we PAID, but less than we OWE!!!)  It is about $47K less than we have IN the house.  Dang it!  I told our realtor that we are keeping the earnest money if they back out for any reason, and if they won't take the house for some reason without additional money, it has to come out of the commission, because she was the one that gave them the previous inspection (I'd given her permission to disclose anything found by the inspection, but not the inspection itself because it was written in such a blatantly biased and negative tone and made it sound like the house was about to fall in around them.)  Anyway, that's where it stands.  If this falls through, we are definitely hiring another realtor... hopefully one with a backbone and some good business sense!   [frus]

muldoon

good grief.  sorry to hear about your ongoing war. 

loosing earnest money should motivate them, hoping for the best (still). 

Homegrown Tomatoes

Me too.  It is a good, sturdy, well-built, cozy, and charming house.  It is well-insulated, level, on a good foundation with no cracks to be found.  The basement is dry,  full and fully finished except for the furnace room and the laundry room.  The main bathroom has been totally remodelled, the kitchen has been gutted and redone.  The first floor has all new laminate flooring.  It is a cute and comfortable home.  There was a slight leak found around the chimney flashing, which is something that I'm all for fixing.  There was also a broken glass block window in the basement (the kid we hired to mow after we moved probably threw up a rock and busted it or something.)  Those are the two worst "problems" with this house.  Most of y'all have seen the pictures from our website of how the kitchen looked when we finished with it.  It has a brand new stove and cabinets with the wire pull-out drawers that make all the hard to reach places accessible.  The yard is like a park.  It is a block from a swim beach on one of the cleanest lakes in the region and has a great view of a field, stream, and railroad track in the distance out the majority of the windows.  The floorplan could've probably been better thought-out, but then there's always some room for improvement, and yet it is more than adequate.  It has 4 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, a finished basement, etc.  I'm thinking we've lowered the price too much and are attracting the kind of buyers who are going to want a lot of something for nothing.???  Very depressing and we still haven't heard ANYTHING back from our realtor, which really makes me wonder what is going on... haven't gotten any notice that they're terminating the deal either, so I hope we're still going forward, but there is no way that we can have money for the closing on Dec. 29th because we still don't have a closing statement so that I can give the info to DH's company. 

Redoverfarm

HT that is the nature of the beast.  Find something wrong and get a lower price.  It is not only with houses but everything.

southernsis

Homegrown Tomatoes

Thanks, Ssis.  Well, they're doing the sewer inspection this morning.  I finally heard from our realtor late yesterday evening.  They had to wait out a snowstorm to do the inspection, I guess.  Don't know WHY the snow should matter since the inspections are usually done from INSIDE the house?  Anyway, I am waiting to hear from the realtor after the inspection.  I don't forsee any problems, but if there are, the money they're getting in escrow at closing should take care of anything that might be wrong.  I'm sure the plumber will probably mention that the tub drain combines cast iron and PVC and is not up to current code (whoopty-doo, it still works just fine.)  There aren't any safety issues with the water coming into the house though, at least, and I doubt that there is any trouble between the house and the main sewer.  The house is on a well, but has city sewer.  Go figure. 

glenn kangiser

If it's on city sewer, why are they doing sewer inspection.  The inspections are for septic tanks, aren't they?

The city sewer should take all of the water you want to give it. d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

I do sewer inspections all the time. They have me check them for leaks. Nearly always related to a real estate deal. 

apaknad

yes, HT, peanut brittle will do just fine. Glen, the sewer insp. might be to look for roots and breaks and connections.Mmmm... peanut brittle [hungry]
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Dan, was wondering how long it was gonna take before you caught that....was beginning to think maybe you didn't lke peanut brittle!

The inspection went great yesterday and we're back on track.... they are still trying to close on the 29th, but I should get the figures today to turn them in to DH's company.  Well inspection and survey done today.  16 days till closing!

southernsis

It sounds good Homegrown. Ask your agent for the HUD statement. I am sure glad things are going okay.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Thanks, Ssis.  I was ready to call you and then things started working out.  I guess maybe I was being paranoid because of what happened with the last deal.  It looks like everything is going to work out OK.  It still would've been better if our realtor hadn't scared them to death with that other inspection!  Anyway, at least they still want the house and we're moving toward that end.  Thanks so much for your good advice.  I'm still trying to remain halfway calm until it is a done deal, but I will be so glad to be out from under that burden.  It will have been 11 months since we moved by the time it closes, and a year by the time we are able to move into a new place... it is so funny that we've been here that long.  We hunted like crazy yesterday trying to  find the Christmas tree stand.  I remember seeing it when we moved in and we chunked it back and a box and stuck it somewhere (attic, garage, shed???) thinking we'd move again before Christmas, so there was no need to unpack it yet!  Now here it is nearly Christmas, and we don't have a clue where it is!   :)