Spam

Started by ScottA, July 07, 2008, 08:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

For some reason I'm getting alot of new spam lately. Some of it using my first name in the subject line. The only place I can think of that this could be comming from is someone mining this board. I hid my email from public view. We'll see if this helps.

glenn kangiser

I have always had so much I don't know where it comes from -- I just keep adding it to my junk filter until it is mostly gone now.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

It is Spam's 70th birthday, I just put a commemorative can in the pantry.  rofl 

Homegrown Tomatoes

;D  Last time I went to Korea, we were there for Lunar New Year.  Some of my in-laws' relatives brought them a case of Spam for the holiday... it was literally the size of a suitcase!  They tried to send it home with us because they didn't know what to do with it.  I thought about bringing one can home just because it was cute with the Korean writing which read phoenetically, "sup-pam".  They probably still have it if they didn't pass it off to another relative the next Lunar New Year. 

ScottA

I had a feeling this would turn into a food thread. That is if spam can actualy be considered food.

glenn kangiser

Hawaii likes it.

"In the United States, the residents of the state of Hawaii and the territories of Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) consume the most Spam per capita. On average, each person on Guam consumes 16 tins of Spam each year and the numbers at least equal this in the CNMI. Guam, Hawaii, and Saipan, the CNMI's principal island, have the only McDonald's restaurants that feature Spam on the menu. Burger King, in Hawaii, began serving Spam in 2007 on its menu to compete with the local McDonald's chains.[7][8]

In Hawaii, Spam is so popular it is sometimes dubbed "The Hawaiian Steak." [9] It is traditionally reheated (cooked), resulting in a different taste than Spam eaten by many Americans on the mainland, who may eat Spam cold.[10] One popular Spam dish in Hawaii is Spam musubi, in which cooked Spam is combined with rice and nori seaweed and classified as onigiri.[11]

Spam was introduced into the aforementioned areas, in addition to other islands in the Pacific such as Okinawa and the Philippine Islands, during the U.S. military occupation in World War II. Since fresh meat was difficult to get to the soldiers on the front, World War II saw the largest use of Spam. GIs started eating Spam for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. (Some soldiers referred to Spam as "ham that didn't pass its physical" and "meatloaf without basic training.")[12] Surpluses of Spam from the soldiers' supplies made their way into native diets. Consequently, Spam is a unique part of the history and effects of U.S. influence in the Pacific.[13]
Four different types of Spam. Clockwise from top left: Garlic, Oven Roasted Turkey, Hot and Spicy, and the Japanese released version of Spam.
Four different types of Spam. Clockwise from top left: Garlic, Oven Roasted Turkey, Hot and Spicy, and the Japanese released version of Spam.

In these locales, varieties of Spam unavailable in other markets are sold. These include Honey Spam, Spam with Bacon, and Hot and Spicy Spam.[13]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(food)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

Spam sushi is good!....maybe not good for you, but tasty.  I have a long standing and active connection with people on the Northern Mariana Islands.  The GI's were there for a long time after WWII, and almost nobody had refridgeration.  For an entire generation of Chammoro and Carolinians SPAM is a basic comfort food.   

We used it a lot when I was a kid, but over the years it got a bad name.

Once in awhile, its fun to break out a can and go through the old recipes that feature it.  Then part company with it for a year or so until the urge rises again.  ::)

John Raabe

Scott:

I think a spammer would find it quite difficult to get your email address from this forum. I have trouble getting to it as an administrator!

To keep yourself free of spam these days, you almost have to never use the email address.

I have switched over to gmail for my catch-all inbox for all email accounts as google has a pretty good spam filter than learns as you use it. The filter pulls down about 600 messages a day off the inbox and I only have to see four or five that I need label as spam. The filter learns to catch them next time.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

benevolance

I can eat canned corn beef... I draw the line there... no spam and no potted meat...

Homegrown Tomatoes

I remember eating fried spam mustard and onion sandwiches and watching Hee Haw at my grandparents' house when I was a kid.  It wasn't that bad, especially since it came out of a can.