Author Topic: KS Flint Hills 20x30 1.5 story  (Read 348 times)

Offline KJones

• Apprentice
  • Welcome to the CP-Forum
KS Flint Hills 20x30 1.5 story
« on: August 31, 2019, 08:52:58 AM »
I recently purchased a set of plans for the 20x30 1.5 story. I have to admit I have 3 sets of plans from different places for a 20x30.  From time to time I have checked this forum for ideas and to watched different builds. My wife and I purchased our property about 6 years ago, it is 80 acres and I've hunted this property and the neighboring 80acres for 30 plus years now. The property has been in the family for sometime, the neighboring 80 was where my great grandfather homesteaded in the late 1800's and where my father was born. At this time we have cattle on most of the property, I have an area of about 2 acres fenced off.

I had two wells drilled several years ago and a single power pole set near one well. I actually use a developed spring to water the cattle. We have a lot of springs on the property, most are marked with a sycamore tree. I have a lot of limestone to deal with, as I mentioned I'm in the flint hills. If you are curious about the flint hills you can learn more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint_Hills

Our build plan... Probably slower than most would like. This is a cabin/retreat for us, we have jobs and live 3 hours away so when we can we get there to work on things. I have a contractor lined up to do a footer and 4 foot stem wall this fall. I'm hoping to start building then in spring/summer of 2020. Most of the building I will do with my father he is 84 now, and I have a nephew who is a residential contractor in the area.

Anyway I'm sure I will have questions from time to time. I do have a youtube channel "Outdoor Engineer", but I'm not much of a poster.  I will share once I have something worth sharing! Wish me luck!

Offline akwoodchuck

• Homer, AK
Re: KS Flint Hills 20x30 1.5 story
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 09:27:56 AM »
Sounds like an interesting area, and building with family is great fun...good luck!  w*
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

Offline ChugiakTinkerer

• Building a remote cabin in Alaska
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 05:11:07 AM »
Indeed,  w*

Thanks for posting that wiki link by the way.  I drove through that part of Kansas about thirty years ago on a cross-country trip and remember thinking how beautiful the limestone hills were.  Now I know what the hills are called and am looking forward to seeing some pics.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Offline KJones

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 02:27:44 AM »
Sounds like an interesting area, and building with family is great fun...good luck!  w*

I'm hoping it is, my wife probably won't get interested until the inside starts to get done. As for now I'm twiddling my thumbs patiently waiting for the contractor to get to my foundation...

Offline KJones

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 02:36:30 AM »
Indeed,  w*

Thanks for posting that wiki link by the way.  I drove through that part of Kansas about thirty years ago on a cross-country trip and remember thinking how beautiful the limestone hills were.  Now I know what the hills are called and am looking forward to seeing some pics.

Some areas are nicer than others... Always wished I could find a place with an old limestone barn to convert to a cabin. There is one down the road from me that is three stories tall, not sure when it was built though.

The negative to my area is all the aromatic cedar we have, it grows like a weed here. So you mow, burn etc to keep it from taking over.

Yes I need to figure this picture thing out!

Spending time in Alaska is hopefully a future vacation for me, how long have you been there?

Offline ChugiakTinkerer

• Building a remote cabin in Alaska
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 05:52:13 AM »
Yes I need to figure this picture thing out!

Spending time in Alaska is hopefully a future vacation for me, how long have you been there?

The trick is hosting your images somewhere else and linking to them here.  The forum thread gives a little more detail: https://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=15096.0

I first came to Alaska in 1980 fresh out of high school.  I went to University of Alaska in Fairbanks and got my BS in geology, then went to Colorado for grad school.  I worked for a few years in Colorado then came back to Alaska in in 1995.  The cross-country trip I mentioned was a summer doing field research while I worked on my MS.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Offline KJones

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 05:51:01 AM »
The trick is hosting your images somewhere else and linking to them here.  The forum thread gives a little more detail: https://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=15096.0

I first came to Alaska in 1980 fresh out of high school.  I went to University of Alaska in Fairbanks and got my BS in geology, then went to Colorado for grad school.  I worked for a few years in Colorado then came back to Alaska in in 1995.  The cross-country trip I mentioned was a summer doing field research while I worked on my MS.

Very cool, you have been there for a good amount of time. I have to admit I've always wondered what it would take to live there. Always imagined living and working there would better prepare someone for having a cabin there... I tried to convince my son that he should spend a summer in Alaska before starting college, he is a senior in High School now and is finishing his CNA and plans on becoming a Nurse. He has mentioned that he could live/work any where doing that, smart kid...

I have a step uncle who did a Geology degree at CSU in the 80's, but he never worked in the field.

So my property is toward the northern edge of the Flint hills just off the Oregon Trail, I think the well driller commented that he hit about 18 inches of flint/creek rock when he drilled my 2nd well. I can't remember depth but 15 to 25 feet is a ballpark on where he hit water and total depth is 50ft. There are some locations around me that you can find your typical fish fossil in limestone, nowadays people don't share that info if they have a spot. I've never looked on my place.

I've been working 12 hours shifts and weekends, so when I get a few I will figure this picture thing out, thank you for the link!!!

Templates: 5: index (default), Ads (default), Portal (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, portal_above, main, portal_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 3: SPortal.english (default), index+Modifications.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 1: portal (default).
Files included: 37 - 1124KB. (show)
Cache hits: 11: 0.00270s for 40,682 bytes (show)
Queries used: 28.

[Show Queries]