Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

I see how that works.  Kind of a sliding gate valve.  Is that vent or drain valve operated manually or some type of automatic or semi automatic?  ???

Good Idea.  Never seen one like that before but then we don't have crazy winters...... :)   

The stuffing box or packer is available from American Windmill out here.  I cna put you in touch with them if you want.  I am sur it will pressurize much farther than that dependent on windmill size.

5/8 Fiberglass sucker rods with two spacers and stainless ends are $125 for 21 feet (each) and should last a long time... about 7 lbs each.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Windpower

Glenn I am sure the valve is hand-o-matic only  -- it is at least 50 - 60 years old

I imagine back in the day forgetting the valve on a cold winter day cold leave you without water or worse a broken pipe

The steel rods are about $5-6 per foot too -- I don't understand why they are so pricey-- seems you could buy the rod and thread it yourself for a lot less 
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

glenn kangiser

I think I would prefer the fiberglass at about seven pounds each. :)

The windmill guy mentioned it is easier on the mill. We installed the entire 210 feet by hand... :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Antonio Carlos Machado

Quote from: rick91351 on August 01, 2013, 11:48:22 PM
Treasure the memories my friend - treasure the memories!!

:)
Ok Rick, I thought a little about that time and I could write a book, there were two good years!!!!!!  ;D

[cool] Glenn, I liked  the mill and the pix. It is an interesting work to do!!!!
Always work with dedication and care that the reward will always be double!

glenn kangiser

Thanks Tony.  Glad you enjoyed the information.  :)

Took Sassy to Bennettville yesterday... she needed to try her new hips out on a decent hike... around 9000 feet elevation ..... 4 1/2 hours... went out a different way and ended up down the road a mile and a half but a nice camper offered us a ride back up the hill... they had done the walk before and thought we needed a ride.  It was nice and allowed us time to get to the Tioga Resort Cafe for dinner.  :)

The story with it....

The investors spent  $300,000 in those days and said no more even though the engineers assure them they were within 200 feet of the Silver Vein.... I could see them.... "Yeah... Right.... "

2000 feet horizontal into rock much harder than they thought possible... sometimes only a foot or so a day...as I recall.

There were other digs in the area... here is one we had time to check out before dark...

Last year this hike would have been impossible for Sassy as her old hips were worn out....

The small mine entrance... Maybe the Sheepherder Mine.. or near it at Bennettville...

More story...

Inside the barn/bunkhouse   

A latch we could use here?

Sassy at the Assay Office....

A wonderful hike with temps from 68f to 50f degrees while the valley was around 93 degrees......

Posted last year but different pix this year...

Looking out...

Jack Leg Drill I believe... anybody besides Whitlock ever run one of these before?

A stream and beautiful flowers... just one more of the benefits of mining away our natural resources....

[waiting]

ben2go

Great pics Glenn.Good to see Sassy is doing well after all those surgeries.

glenn kangiser

Yes..thanks Ben.  She is doing well and getting around better than she has in years.  :)

Lots of cool scenery up in the high Sierra....

Many small lakes along the trail in to Bennettville...

Mountain climbers practicing along the Tioga Pass road..

Cool trees... etc...

ben2go

I would seriously not enjoy the mountain climbing,but I would enjoy the hiking so much.Those mountain climbers are a special kind of crazy.  d*

Antonio Carlos Machado

[cool]

Beautiful images of the trek, Bennettville is frozen in time! and this is great!

glenn kangiser

True Tony.  It is a great place and a nice hike. :) 

It is not on the regular park literature as it is outside of the park and it seems they do not want to call attention to it as it is not listed on direction signs anywhere I have seen.  Books are a source of direction info for the most part.

Allergic to rock burns, Ben.. ?  We watched a guy sliding down part of it the other day... probably wore holes in his pants Sassy figured.

I got drip irrigation on my hops this year and they are really taking off... I guess the fertilizer helped a bit too....

I have also found the Amaranth to be a great source of greens, or in this case Reds... that are edible in the summer when other types of green leafy vegetables don't want to grow so well...

This particular one is called Love Lies Bleeding I think... small black seeds so not as great for grain as some of the others but edible and a nice plant for the flower garden too.   :)

ben2go

Yes I am and nice flowers.I can keep house plants hanging on,but most outside plants die.Just ask my weeds that replaced the grass I killed.  rofl

glenn kangiser

What I get drip irrigation on does pretty well, Ben.  The rest... I try to keep up after it....but I am afraid I am irregular.... [waiting]

Work is nearly non-existent in our thriving economy so I am taking anything I can get.... this week it was a road and driveway repair for one of the neighbors, as well as teaching him the tricks so he can do it himself some day. 

The main thing is to get good material preferably from an asphalt plant rather than hardened up expensive bags if you have quite a bit.  I put nearly three tons on this road... about a quarter mile long... and... clean out all of the loose material from the chuck holes including loose old pieces of paving, dirt and rocks.  Get the edges cleaned out well to give the patch something to lock into and overlap the edges some if you have a good quality material with lots of fines to help seal out future water. 

The paving is broken when water gets in the cracks and softens the subsurface material such as clay or dirt if there is not a good solid roadbase under it.  Driving over the hard paving with mud under it then causes it to break.  Patch cracks... keep it sealed and dry underneath and it will stay together well.....

I was also invited up to visit my International Student friends this weekend and since I haven't seen them in a while I did that also.....My friend Wally is there for them nearly every weekend.  I try to get up there once or twice a month since it is about 2 1/2 hours away.  We stay in contact on FB so I try to get to the major events where I can see the most of them. Represented in the picture... Philippines, America, China, Thailand (Wally), Hong Kong, China and Vietnam.

....and we were also invited to my Mexican friends (another wonderful hard working international student) family party for his nephews birthday. 

We are just one big happy family.  I try to be available for whatever problems these kids may have and it is just a pleasure to be around them.  Most are here without any local family support and some of the leaders of their group asked if I might be interested in helping.  Of course I said... I consider it an honor.  :)

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 19, 2013, 12:50:49 AM
.............................snip........................................................................
Work is nearly non-existent in our thriving economy so I am taking anything I can get.... ..........................snip...........................................................................

Well spoken Glenn.... Well spoken.  Seems those that will work will, those that don't  [waiting] well now days still get fed and watered...... [waiting] or Big Gulped.  Most likely PO some one but............  OH WELL!

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

Hmmm that reminds me Rick... I think I'm eligible for food stamps.... I could start eating at Burger King..... [waiting]

..... Oh yes... and mustn't forget I could get me a new Obama Phone.... I mean... Cell Phone...... [ouch]

glenn kangiser

Well... here is a new one for you....

My family first landed in Massachusetts .... and they were cobblers.....in the Brockton/Boston.... Syracuse NY areas....at least some of them were.

...that brings me to my point....  ???

There is not a shoe repair shop in this area and I didn't want to make two trips to the big city either.... if I could find one there.... soooooo......

I got on Amazon... they have everything ...right?   

I have a pair of boots where the rubber heels were almost worn out but the rest was a good American made boot.  I looked up heels for boot repair on Amazon and found them as expected... next the glue... reading comments a primer and cure accelerant looked to be a good choice too.  I ordered the stuff and everything was here within about 5 days or so.  I grabbed a pair of nippers, ripped off the old heel and nails and went to work.  Buffed it a bit to rough it up... doubled the 1/4 inch thick heels to get 1/2 inch, sanded, primed, glued, screwed them together, to each other and to the boot and clamped them down good.

The heel blanks are oversized so you need a sander to buff them down on the edges after nipping them to size with the nippers ... or a sharp knife and be tough.... I glued them, then screwed them down with wood screws. I countersunk them after the glue cured... didn't want them scratching my fine Underground Complex floors.... [waiting]

Anyway... I am pretty proud of my little cobbler job....

rick91351

Great job Glenn in this day of throw away shoes, throw away furniture and throw away people. 

Any idea when your fore fathers and mothers or fore folks and kin ended up in Massachusetts? 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Windpower

and they are already broken in ....
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

MountainDon

My Dad used to re-heel and even re-sole his leather work boots. He used truck tire treads and sheet metal screws.    ;D

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Yes... Rick... 1889 Via Austria after the Russian Czar was beheaded in Lithuania.... My Great Grandfather was conscripted into the Russian Army in communications.  He sent the family out in the confusion and then followed after.  He didn't do it... (I'm guessing).... :)

Yes... quite comfortable and made in Tennessee I think it was Windpower.

Truck tires should  get er done, Don.  The Mexicans make the whole huaraches from them now sometimes.  :)

pmichelsen

Well done, when buying work boots I only purchase boots that are hand made in the states and rebuildable.

glenn kangiser

Antonio Carlos Machado

:)
Since this practicing master shoemaker I could take my boots need new soles! Hahahahahahahahahah!!! [cool]

Antonio Carlos Machado

???
Hello Glenn, the Yosemite Park appeared in the TV news program tonight due to the terrible fire! How are things there!
:-\

considerations

Yeah...so where are you in relation to the fire?

MountainDon

Glenn is south of the Yosemite area Rim Fire. He is near Mariposa. If you open this link InciWeb, the Rim Fire outline can be seen. If you select the zoom level correctly Mariposa will show on the map.

Or you can try this page   active fire maps.  Near page bottom click on the "download KMZ file" if you have Google earth. You can then open Google Earth with the fire overlay maps. Zoom and slide over to the the Rim Fire in Yosemite area.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.