Author Topic: 14x32 in NH Lakes Region  (Read 56208 times)

Offline DavidRaftery

• Boston, MA
Re: 14x32 in NH Lakes Region
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2019, 08:12:09 AM »
I've had a request for more info on my wood stove. I bought a Vermont Castings Aspen; it is the smallest stove they make. The catalog says it puts out 18,000 BTUs/hour and will heat up to 600 sq ft. It is side loading, with glass on the side door and takes 16 inch long logs. It is a heavy sucker, weighing 240 lbs. The dealer I purchased it from told me that Vermont Castings had been sold awhile ago and the quality had gone down. They were sold again to a new owner, who manufactures stoves and he said the quality has returned. Installing wood heat is not cheap. I paid $1,000 for the wood stove and about another $1,000 for the chimney and insulated double wall roof piping.

I have been happy with my stove so far. My chimney is a straight run up through the roof, so it draws well. I have not had any problems with backdraft. I have only been using the integral damper on the rear of the stove; I don't have a second damper on the chimney. The stove only takes 16 inch logs, so this can be a pain if your logs are a little long. I have had to put some logs diagonally in the stove or leave the ends hanging outside the open door, when they were too long. I make sure all the firewood that I cut will fit in the stove. I have not tried packing the stove full of logs over a bed of coals yet, so I don't know how long this will burn overnight. I have been getting up every couple of hours to add 2 logs to the stove. If you like to watch your fire through a big glass door, this is not the stove for you. Since the glass is on the side door, the view of the fire is reduced.

It is hard to tell the performance so far because only my roof and about 3/4 of the walls are insulated. I still need to finish the walls, insulate under the floor and put plastic vapor barrier up before I get a true picture of how well this stove heats. What I can report is that this fall, when the outside temperature was 30 degrees, I was able to get the temperature up to 55 degrees inside the cabin. Hopefully once this place is fully insulated, it will be so warm that I'll need to crack a window when the stove is running! Vermont Castings sells an adaptor to connect the stove to use outside air; I may purchase this eventually.

When my buddies come up this year, we are going to rotate the wood stove 45 degrees, so the rear faces the corner of the south and bathroom walls. The required clearance is less at the rear of the stove than on the sides. With the stove in it's current position, the bathroom wall next to the stove gets too hot. The cement board is there temporarily to block some of the heat.

I'm still learning how to operate a wood stove, so any suggestions are welcome !
Dave Raftery

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2019, 10:39:27 AM »
We bought a VC Aspen back in 2009. We like it. Once you are finished with the insulation you should be able to make the interior uncomfortably warm. At least we can with our 470 sq ft cabin. We have the fresh air intake installed. I found that to make the stove easier to start and operate. Prior to that, I had to crack open a window or door to get the fire going. I guess I air sealed the shell too well.  ;)  I've got quite used to cutting firewood to 15 to 16" lengths.

We used a telescoping black pipe section between the stove top and the insulated pipe ceiling connector. That makes it quite easy to clean the chimney.  I remove the screws that secure the black pipe to the upper adapter, twist the black pipe to unlock and then push the upper part down to telescope with the lower part a little. Then the black pipe section gets taken outside. A bag is taped to the open end of the insulated pipe. From the roof the cleaning brush is pushed down and then pulled up. Those two strokes usually cleans the pipe out. The bag catches the debris. The stove chimney connection opening is vacuumed out and everything reassembled and we're good for another year.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2019, 10:42:43 AM »
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

Offline Migraine Craftsman

• Pay it Forward
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2019, 12:50:01 PM »
Thank you very much! for this reading it now.

Templates: 5: index (default), Ads (default), Portal (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, portal_above, main, portal_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 3: SPortal.english (default), index+Modifications.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 1: portal (default).
Files included: 38 - 1124KB. (show)
Cache hits: 13: 0.00235s for 40,839 bytes (show)
Queries used: 29.

[Show Queries]