Installing a bath tub

Started by new land owner, September 23, 2012, 06:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new land owner

Soon I am going to be installing the one piece bath tub in my camp.  I was thinking about using Low expansion foam, the kind used for windows, as a filler under the tub so we do not have any soft spots.  Any thoughts?

Redoverfarm

Quote from: new land owner on September 23, 2012, 06:12:40 AM
Soon I am going to be installing the one piece bath tub in my camp.  I was thinking about using Low expansion foam, the kind used for windows, as a filler under the tub so we do not have any soft spots.  Any thoughts?

I believe that they normally use a mortar bed to conform to the bottom.  If you use mortar you should set you tub and fill it partially full of water to compress the mortar to seat the tub.  I know it is difficult to have the plumbing ready to go at the time you set your tub but it isn't necessary.  You can just manually fill the tub with a hose or 5 gallon bucket.

rick91351

Jetted soaker tub we put in required sand smoothed or screeded to their specs.....  I have seen some that wanted mortar.  What ever you use there seems a great concern for a solid base.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

Mortar mix is easy; that's what I've done on several showers and tubs. The manufacturer should have spec;d out what they want inorder for their warranty to remain valid. I don't know that foam will retain it's original set stiffness if it has a load applied to it... over time it may compress / change / do something we don't anticipate as the product is not designed for that sort of use.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

new land owner

Don

Is there anyparticular type of mortor mix I should be buying?

Tom

MountainDon

Regular mortar as used for block walls is what I've used.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.