what to look for to stain Cedar Siding?

Started by jackel440, May 03, 2012, 01:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackel440

Hey guys I need some help.I did a search but wasn't really finding what i need to know.
I plan to install cedar lap siding on the gable ends of my cabin.
I want to just put it up and not really change the color I think.
What do I need to buy?Do i want just a water repelant or some kind of clear stain,or a sealer??Are some of these all the same thing or do the same job?Or do I even need to put anything on the cedar wood?I don't want it to rot or fall apart on me.I have never really used cedar before so I don't know its characteristics. ???
I am no wood worker so this is a first for me as far as staining and sealing is concerned.
I also wanted to know if I can cut my pieces to fit then stain them real quick and then install,or do I have to stain and then let them sit overnight before putting them up?
Or should I just stain all my pieces before hand.Then cut them and just restain the cuts before installing?
AHHHH!! I should have just put t1-11 up there. d*
I plan to put 1x4 cedar as my trim boards also on the corners and aroune the windows and doors.So I guess I will be applying it there also.

Alan Gage

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr109.pdf

http://www.wrcla.org/installation_and_finishing/finishing_other_projects/application.htm

I applied a WRP (Water Repellant Preservative) to mine before I cut them to size, all 6 sides. As I cut them to fit during installation I treated the cut ends. Stained with a semi-transparent stain after installation, which went very quickly. I removed the trim before staining the siding. The trim was screwed on for that reason.

I liked the natural color before doing anything to it but LOVE the color after staining. Still looks natural.

Before stain:

20110927_001 copy_web by Alan  Gage, on Flickr

After stain:

20111007_001 copy_web by Alan  Gage, on Flickr

Don't know if it was the right way to do it or not but I'm happy so far, though it hasn't even been a year.

Alan

Redoverfarm

Do a forum search on "Cedar Shingles"  There are a lot of previous post dealing with the finishing portion. 

jackel440

Great help guys I had seen the wrcla website before ,but the other link was real helpful.
I am buying my suppies from menards so I checked thier website ,and i think I need to buy the "Wolman F&P cedar"
That should protect and preserve my siding.
says 2-6 hours to dry for first coat and 10-16 hrs on second coat.
I think that will work for me.I can coat them while i work on the end walls ,and then be ready for them by sunday as long as the weather cooperates. d*

fastpoke

Some one told me that 10 w 30 engine is what they're are using. Aybody ever heard of this?

MountainDon

Sounds like something that used to be done before people became more environmentally conscious.

Probably burn good
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.