Staggering drywall

Started by Arky217, April 16, 2012, 09:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arky217

If you are installing 4' x 8' sheets of drywall on a large ceiling area, is it a good idea to stagger the joints like you would when installing roof sheathing, or does it really matter with drywall ?

Arky

rick91351

I am not a dry waller however my dry wall friends say stager it. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

PEG688

You want to stagger it so the taped butt  joints are not all lined up, it'll make the taping job look better.

As far as structurally there's little gained out of GWB and how it's installed, generally. There are some instances where it can be considered part of a brace wall panel , with special nailing schedule and blocking.     
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Redoverfarm

Rick is right Arky.  Basicly the same as sheeting.  Never allow adjoining seams to meet.  I would suggest renting a drywall lift for the ceiling.  It makes it alot easier.  Unlike walls the sheetrock is hung on a angle and is harder to hold and line up.

Jeff922

If it is possible, you want to AVOID butt-joints - especially on a ceiling.  Butted panel ends (without the beveled tape-recess) are hard to hide and require more mud-work.  If you can get longer panels, definitely do it.  I have some 10' and 12' panels in my Victoria's and it made life a lot easier.
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"