Author Topic: 28 X 40 California Redwoods  (Read 80475 times)

Offline ChugiakTinkerer

• Building a remote cabin in Alaska
Re: 28 X 40 California Redwoods
« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2020, 05:15:25 PM »
Looks like a very productive weekend.  Congrats!
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #176 on: May 21, 2020, 05:29:04 AM »
Nice to see progress
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

Offline pmichelsen

• Along the Eel River, Northern CA
« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2020, 05:23:22 AM »
Did a family trip for Memorial Day weekend, main things accomplished were replacing the water heater that had gone out on me the previous weekend and framing in another wall.

Hopefully my next trip up I can install some z flashing at the bottom of the walls and then sheath them as well as frame in the last two walls. Feels good to be making progress on this project. We will also be setting the generator in July, I know my buddy will be happy to finally get it out of his warehouse. Our neighbor up there is going to let us use his backhoe to pick the generator off the trailer and set it into place.

Offline pmichelsen

« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2020, 05:55:59 AM »
I framed up the last exterior wall a few weeks ago and now I'm ready for sheathing. The family and I are going up tomorrow after work for the long weekend, I should have enough time to get the sheathing installed and the area secured. My buddy and his family will be at the property so I'll take advantage of having another body and move the washer and dryer down there over the weekend. They have been stashed in our guest room for just about five years now, hard to believe it's been that long.

I'll spend the rest of the year working on shingling, waterproofing, and running water and electricity to the space. I also need to make a door, I'm considering just welding something up so that it's secure.

Offline pmichelsen

« Reply #179 on: July 06, 2020, 07:20:10 AM »
We spent the long weekend at the cabin. Friday morning I was able to get all of the flashing and sheathing installed then Saturday morning I got all of my felt up. I feel pretty good about how it sits now, I don’t really want to shingle until I figure out how I want to do the deck and what the heck I’m going to do about the section of cabin near the tree. I’m trying to design something that will allow me to brace back to my new foundation. There isn’t a lot of weight up there and if I can avoid putting anything in the ground that close to the tree I’d like to.

For the most part things went pretty smooth, the only issue I had was making some bone head mistakes when framing my walls so I had to add in some blocking, not a huge deal just took some time. Also trying to hang my felt alone was a bit of a challenge, my wife tried to help with the first course, but our daughter is almost two and doesn’t want to sit still for anything.

Starting sheathing:

Felt going on:

It’s hard work being a dog:

Offline pmichelsen

« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2020, 04:28:53 AM »
I was at the cabin over the weekend, main focus was hanging out with the family and relaxing, but I was able to accomplish a few things while there.

Finally had a chance to patch all of the snap tie holes with some Ardex. Once that setup I did a coat of HLM 5000 and now I have to decide if I’m going to do additional coats or if I’ll just install the dimple board.

Two weeks ago I had 13 yards of 3/8” rock delivered to use as back fill and I brought up ¾” drain rock to use for my French drain. I’m getting close to being able to back fill and get the exterior water tight.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:22:38 AM by pmichelsen »

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2020, 10:29:03 AM »
Looks very different from what you started with.   [cool]

Are the fires any ore or less immediate danger?   
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

Offline pmichelsen

« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2020, 12:56:57 PM »
Looks very different from what you started with.   [cool]

Are the fires any ore or less immediate danger?

Thankfully we're out of the danger zone, though we barely missed one on the way home. The Oak Fire is burning outside of the town Willits, we drove through at 11:30am and the fire broke out at 1:30pm and completely shut the hwy down. Just checked and it looks like the hwy is still closed. Willits is about 45 minutes south of our place. It's pretty scary out there.

Templates: 5: index (default), Ads (default), Portal (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, portal_above, main, portal_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 3: SPortal.english (default), index+Modifications.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 1: portal (default).
Files included: 38 - 1132KB. (show)
Cache hits: 13: 0.00176s for 40,891 bytes (show)
Queries used: 28.

[Show Queries]