What is this?

Started by MountainDon, January 14, 2011, 09:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

Liquid Nitrogen container?  ???

diyfrank

It looks a little like a rocket stove or maybe a coffee pot for a "real man"
Home is where you make it

rick91351

Well, if you have to ask you most likely do not need it all the bad unless you are Glenn.  Then it is not rusty enough.  So....  ;)  But then I am more interested in what it is setting on in the second, third and forth picture. 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

bayview

It's a pudding maker . . .

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Shawn B

It's a kettle for heating/boiling water by burning wood and other burnables.

similar to this:

http://www.kellykettle.com.au/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-YMbvZJw68
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

cbc58

it's a left-handed smoke shifter.

MountainDon

Well I should admit it is not mine. I lifted the pictures from another forum. They don't know what it is either.

I have been thinking along the lines of what Shawn and diyfrank  suggested.

My question is whether or not the spout is connected to the space between the inner and outer walls. If so I could see putting water in there and building a fire with twigs and small wood. The tall pipe is the exhaust. The little one the air intake and the cap snuffs out the fire.

But I'd like to know for sure, see where they can be bought.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

zion-diy

the name on the largest piece looks like Tamik. A quick goggle search turned up a paint company in Michigan. some kind of paint bucket perhaps? ???
Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

MountainDon

Saving and enlarging the image it appears more like an "O". I tried a Google on that too and never came up with anything that helped.   :(

Bob S.

I think it might be the vessel that a vet uses to transport and keep semen in when he goes out into the field.

Bob S.

I think the vet puts dry-ice in it the semen froze.

rick91351

Quote from: Bob S. on January 16, 2011, 12:53:16 AM

I thought about that, but the ones I have been around are a lot different than that.

I also did a search and there is a manufacturing company in New Zealand under that name but it had a 1997 start up and seems to manufacture small furniture parts.  The painting company listed employs three people and was established in 2002 and only did $130,000 in annual revenue.  I would toss both of those out because of date of start up and product.

I noticed the bail on the container is not for carrying but hanging.  There is no handle on the bail nor a flat spot for one.  However the bail is heavy and bent to accommodate a hook or a snap so I would say it was made to hang.  You could not carry it a long distance with the chimney attached because where it and the bail is located.  If it was going to be carried any distance by hand it would have been engineered differently.  So why the spout?  It sure never had a lot of hard use.  Was it to ease clean up or dispense its product?           
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Phssthpok

Quote from: rick91351 on January 16, 2011, 08:28:58 AM
Quote from: Bob S. on January 16, 2011, 12:53:16 AM

I thought about that, but the ones I have been around are a lot different than that.

I also did a search and there is a manufacturing company in New Zealand under that name but it had a 1997 start up and seems to manufacture small furniture parts.  The painting company listed employs three people and was established in 2002 and only did $130,000 in annual revenue.  I would toss both of those out because of date of start up and product.

I noticed the bail on the container is not for carrying but hanging.  There is no handle on the bail nor a flat spot for one.  However the bail is heavy and bent to accommodate a hook or a snap so I would say it was made to hang.  You could not carry it a long distance with the chimney attached because where it and the bail is located.  If it was going to be carried any distance by hand it would have been engineered differently.  So why the spout?  It sure never had a lot of hard use.  Was it to ease clean up or dispense its product?           

In photo 2 note the broad handle located low on the opposite side of the can from the spout. Given the overall configuration/construction, I daresay it's a safe bet that the bail is indeed intended for a handling/carrying role if only for a limited time (most likely as a control point during the action of pouring whatever comes out of the spout). Not sure if I'd use dry ice for semen in a device obviously intended to 'pour' it's contents. Regular ice maybe, but dry ice would most assuredly freeze the contents solid. I also note that there seems to be no provision for filling the (presumed) liquid containing outer chamber other than the pour spout. Seems odd to me.

LeoinSA

Quote from: Bob S. on January 16, 2011, 12:50:32 AM
I think it might be the vessel that a vet uses to transport and keep semen in when he goes out into the field.

Nope.  Ran cows once-upon-a-time and the artificial insemination fella came out in a rig with a large liquid nitrogen tank that was a very small top with a large container for the LN.  Sealed up tight when the lid wasn't off.

rick91351

Quote from: LeoinSA on January 17, 2011, 09:44:30 PM
Quote from: Bob S. on January 16, 2011, 12:50:32 AM

Nope.  Ran cows once-upon-a-time and the artificial insemination fella came out in a rig with a large liquid nitrogen tank that was a very small top with a large container for the LN.  Sealed up tight when the lid wasn't off.

That was the way it was here as well.  Sort of a domed vessel  with another dome that covered the lid or was the lid.  The vile of semen hung down into the LN on a metal bracket they would extract from the vessel and remove the vile.  We used AI on the milk cows until we got rid of them and went to a solid beef operation.  I was not very old then maybe ten or so.  That was 50 years a go.  When we went into straight beef cattle we used bulls for several reasons ranging from convenience to with the beef breeds the bulls are a lot easier to get along with and handle than the dairy bulls for the most part.  Most of the dairy bulls I have ever been around were ringy and nuts about 3/4 to 7/8 of the time.  Then the rest of the time they were asleep, or looking for something to get upset at.  I still have some beef cattle but not near like we had at one time.  I sort of from time to time think we ought to get back in to that a lot heavier now that I am retiring from my vocation.           

Homegrown Tomatoes

a portable water heater?  I think lehman's sells something similar.