Tying into the power grid

Started by archimedes, May 04, 2010, 01:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archimedes

Does anyone know what the maximum distance is that you can run electric from the power line to your home? 
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

Redoverfarm

Normally 1 span. depending on the local guidelines but 350-450 ft should be in the ball park.  Although they have been known to stretch it sometimes.

MountainDon

Your wallet is the real factor.  ;D Power can be run anywhere. If the power grid is a mile away, like ours was, it is still possible. However, in our case the job would have included the 7200 volt underground cable from the underground regulator vault (closest point to our property) to a pole and transformer down to 240 VAC all at our cost. That transformer would have been 300 - 400 feet feet from the cabin, which was another separate cost.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

archimedes

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, I need to run further than that.  I've been trying to get an answer from the power company for days about what the cost would be to run their line further down the road.  But I can't get anyone to give me any info.  Very frustrating.

MountainDon

Our mile is very rocky and hilly, through forest and had to be underground. $55K, which is why we have PV solar.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

archimedes

Thanks Don.

Do you recall what the numbers were (ballpark).  ?

I'm think of buying this lot, it's a good deal, but not if running the power to it is going to be enormous.  And I don't even know how to guess at what the number might be.  $5000 ???   $50,000 ??    $100,000 ??

archimedes

Ok thanks,  at least I have a starting number to work with.

archimedes

The lot is on a private rd with several other houses on it.  I would imagine that some of the other homes would want to tie in also so some of the cost could be shared.  Plus all power here is above ground and the grid is less than a mile away (but more than a half mile)

MountainDon

I was told that up to 4 lots could share a transformer pole, as long as the 240 volt run was doable to each. If it's above ground it should be much less than our quote.

A friend recouped half of his cost (to the transformer) when someone bought an adjacent lot and decided to hookup. Now he's waiting and hoping for the remaining plot to be sold and the buyer to decide to grid tie.

waggin

Here's the scoop at my location, which is served by Puget Sound Energy:
Approximately 800' from street to planned building, so a primary line extension is necessary.  The transformer would be located just inside my property line, which is about 700' from the street.  Cost for engineering, the line extension, and the transformer was around $11k a year or two ago.  I would still have to dig a trench deep enough to have 36" cover over the conduit which I would have to install, and then I'd have to buy safe backfill material, then backfill, compact, etc.  I think the requirement was 3" schedule 40 conduit.  I would also have to have it ready to pull cable, ie: I would have to have a pull rope in the conduit. 

At this point, there is one neighbor who may be willing to share the cost with me for their adjacent undeveloped lot, and they may use the extension to get their existing house's service underground instead of on utility poles.  So far, I have not looked into the cost of conduit or just having a contractor take care of the whole thing.  This is probably one of the more expensive areas of the country, from what I've heard, and I'd be curious what other utility companies require the landowner to do.

Different utility companies handle providing service differently and include different things.  I'm guessing that the reluctance to ballpark estimate is the result of people being peeved in the past when the actual bill was a lot higher than the estimate, plus I know they had to get some specific info on closest transformer, etc before being able to work up the engineering and estimate for mine.  The more info you can provide to an engineer, the more likely they might be willing to give you an informal guestimate on cost.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

eddiescabin

For my ranch I paid a little over $10k per pole from the source.  Pole distances vary with each utility, but generally 200 feet apart.

archimedes

Thanks guys for the replys.

Well I finally got a call back from the electric company and the guy was actually very helpful.  Unfortunately, it's going to cost about $16 a ft to run the line to the property line.  Since it's about a 2500-3000 ft run that's going to be pretty pricey.

Another complication is that the street is a private road and therefore there is not a legal "right of way" for the power company to run the line through.  So I would need to get each individual land owner to sign an easment agreement to let the power come through.  May be a big deal, maybe not.  But all it takes is one property owner being disagreable and no dice.

I'm starting to understand why this big beautiful lot was so cheap.

dug

I don't know how much sun you get in your location but for about half that price you could get a heck of a nice solar system.

MountainDon

Quote from: dug on May 05, 2010, 01:38:53 PM
I don't know how much sun you get in your location but for about half that price you could get a heck of a nice solar system.

That's why we went the way we did. But that depends on how much power one actually wants or needs. If one was thinking of using electric heat that eliminates most alternative energy forms.   I'd say you should begin with an honest assessment of how much power, on a daily average, is required for you to live in the place the way you want to. The off grid pv calculator in the General section could help with that.