Lumber storage

Started by peternap, August 24, 2009, 05:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I have sawn a little over 4000 BF (with the chainsaw mill) in 5/4x6x12. I have them under a tarp now,well stickered.

Looks like I may have to store them for up to 6 months. This is going to be the knotty pine panaling in my cabin.

I've read not to keep them under a tarp for any period of time but unless I build a shed...which I just don't have the time to do now, I don't know what else to do.

Any guidance?
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

ScottA

Redoverfarm

Peter check around and find some used roofing tin.  Doesn't make any difference what condition it is in as long as it sheds the water.   I don't trust tarps. Had a large pile of wormey chestnut ruined that way. 

Whitlock

Only tarp the top of the pile or better yet use tin with stickers and some weight on it so the top boards don't turn into pretzels.
(Leave the sides open for air to pass though.)
Restack the pile in a month or two to make sure the wood in not starting to mould where the stickers are.
The slower the pile drys the less the lumber will crack.
So the shade is a good thing,But you must let air pass thouth the stack or your lumber will mold.
The longer you let it cure the more it will shrink for you.
Before you start useing it put a piece in the house and maisher it, check it again in a week or two you might be surprized at how much it has shrunk.

I save all my sawdust from milling and put premo hard wood pieces in it for a year or two to cure them.
Most of the time there will be no cracks.
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Don_P

I'll second, or third, or whatever, the find some used roofing tin option. I scored some more today... unfortunately I'll be up there 30' up replacing it with new tomorrow  :D. Whitlock identified the ditches on both sides of the road, dry too fast and it'll check, dry too slow and it'll mold. Shady with lots of airflow is the best. Here in the southeast you might want to restack light colored woods faster than that, bluestain happens quick during dog days. I need to mill some pine but am waiting for it to cool off.