Can you name this design

Started by jchaters, August 07, 2006, 04:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jchaters

Can anyone tell me if there is a proper name for this style of building. Note it looks lake a gambral, but the roof on the upper level are curved. The outer walls are ceder shakes and the roof which extends to the ground are shingled. I have not seen one quite like it anywhere else around here. Thanks in advance, Jim

ShawnaJ

Amanda_931

That would work, or vault

Or, "cute little building"?

That old book that the USDA put out Vacation Homes and Cabins has a duplex that shape with curved home-laminated timbers in that shape.  I don't remember what they called it. (the used market is the way to go if you want the book)

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&isbn=9780486236315

John Raabe

I would call it an arched roof but there is no official architectural term for such a shape.

I checked Google images for "bowed roof" and "arched roof" - the two I would guess. Arched roof had lots more images and this was the closest image to what you show.

This would be an expensive structure to build as you might guess.

Then there is the much less expensive but related "quonset" roof (of WWII fame!)

None of us are as smart as all of us.

PEG688

I'd call it a bow roof. There's a few barns here on the Island and one house on Parker Rd.in Coupeville . We'll be doing  a addition on that house soon , the addition will be conventional gable but it will die into the bow roof gable end of the existing house. I'm interested in what the inside of the one we'll be doing looks like , as in is the ceiling also bowed?  If so is it D/W or T&G brds , how are the rafters / truss's made , bent laminated , or sawn , etc .

The general wisdom/ theroy  on why , other than it looks nice , is that ship / wooden boat builders may have been involved with older structures with this type of roof . They knew how to build a hull but not a roof . So it's  a hull upside down.  

I've never seen one that the roofing came all the way to the ground like your photo , different strokes for different folks.

That's my two cents , PEG  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Amanda_931

The one in the book (built twice to make a duplex, I think a few things--washing machine--were supposed to be shared), had the bow/arch/vault coming all the way down to the platform for the first floor.  A lot more room than your standard A-frame.  And they did give directions for laminating the frame  members at home in a jig.

Some of the designs in that book were perfectly awful--narrow galley kitchen that still had the dining room table in it, for instance.  That was one of the better ones.

desdawg

It sure looks neat. Looks like a lot of patience would be required. Not my strong suit.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

jstig

I found this website about bow roofs built in the New England region.

http://www.reproductionhouseplans.com/BowRoof.html

Jim

PEG688

Thank you Jim :)

From the site Jim found :

Bow Roof House Plans

The Bow Roof or Old Ships Bottom Roof House collection is a copyrighted design of the curved roof cape style originating from the Solomon Howe's House

There is a myth that the roof originated as a ship builders house who shaped his roof similar to a ships hull.

Remember where you read it first  ;)  5th post this thread, in case you missed it  :o

PEG

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Jared Drake

I've heard this roof design called "gothic". I looked up gothic roof on google and saw a lot of designs with that shape in it. Some were roofs, but some were just buildings with that shape of arch in it. Apparently it was used a lot in gothic architecture.
Jared

Edit: Here's a link to a gothic barn.  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sugarloafcitizens/gothicbarn.html

bartholomew

There are quite a few of these buildings used as inexpensive ski chalets on the local mountains. Essentially an upgrade of the basic A-frame.

JRR

I tried to find a good photo of the Barrel Shaped Cottages of Unicoi State Park (Georgia).  They carry the vaulted look to the extreme.  

I remember when these novel structures first appeared (30 years ago?), there was a write-up in some builder/architect mag.  Apparently they were a real success with park visitors and there have been more built ... each, of three generations, having some defining uniqueness.  Most are two-bedroom units with kitchens, etc.  I rent one for a couple of weekends every year.  They go for about $120 per day (some seasonal variations).  The grandkids love 'em!   "Alpine" Helen GA, complete with OktoberFest, is nearby.

This is the only photo I could find on-line ... not very descriptive, but you get the idea.  (I believe the cottage plans were avail to the public some years back.):
http://gastateparks.org/net/content/item.aspx?s=12954.0.1.5
Unicoi has 30 cottages ... probably a dozen or so are of the barrel design.

If you'd rather have a Yurt, you can reserve one for $40 per day at Red Top Mountain State Park.
http://gastateparks.org/net/content/image.aspx?imageid=74112&s=21.0.1.5

desdawg

Are the barrell cottages built out of an old tank of some sort?
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

JRR

The Unicoi Barrel Cottages were all assembled in place...but not from old tanks.  As I recall, the roof/wall shape is derived from jig-built laminated roof spars that are attached to rather heavy supporting posts.  In fact, once inside, you realize that the main strength of the structure is typical post and beam ... all covered by this egg-shaped shell.  The shell is two layers of T&G (inside and outside of the spars), with insulation sandwiched in the voids.  

The interior walls/ceilings/floors are all natural stained T&G pine boards.  Very rustic.  Two bedrooms are at loft level.  Kitchen, bath, dining and living areas on main level.  Storage and mehanicals are tucked underneath.

A clever architectural exercise using southern pine ... on the taxpayer's dime.

SteveD

Haven't learned how to post the picture yet, but here's a rather charming variation of the design.

http://www.allplans.com/plans/DMD-2578.html

Here it is (JR):

To learn how to do this read the "Click HERE for a quick introduction to the forum" link that is in the News box at the top of every forum page.

Deana

http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/constructionplans.htm

Detailed construction plans for arch rafters and gothic roof framing for barns.

peg_688

Here's the org. drawings 1981 , for the bow roof place we'll be adding on a conventional gable roof addition to. This is one of four pages ,

Closer look of truss/ rafter drawings :

Nice simple plan,  easy to read,  house is still in fine shape , MTL will have 5 pages for the friggin addtion alone , with one devoted to shear walls , hold downs, etc etc etc etc etc , MTL not enought Etc to cover the requiremenets of today.  :'( :'(

Jeesh life and building was so much fun and so easy 25 years ago  :)  The materials (wood) where a lot better as well.   Very sad to think what build depts. lawyers and poor builder have made happen  :'( :'( >:( >:(  

tjm73

QuoteI found this website about bow roofs built in the New England region.

http://www.reproductionhouseplans.com/BowRoof.html

Jim

This one.... http://www.reproductionhouseplans.com/OSB_2home.html

....with the downstairs bedroom and the garage dropped off would make a nice litte 2 bedroom home. 24x26 foot print.

jraabe

Interesting PEG.

How are they building those frames? Are the mid span braces pushing out standard rafters (and under a lot of compression), or are the bowed rafters cut that shape. And then what is the roof sheathing? Will 1/2" take the curve or does it need to be two layers?

If the frames could be built on the deck as prestressed trusses I expect it would not be a hugely bigger job than building a flat roof plane. (Looking a bit closer at your cross section image it looks like I can make out a 40' radius called out.) That sounds like cut rafters (out of what?)

No problem, we'll just band saw them out of some 24' long 2x28's.  :D

JRR

The North Dakota State site has plans for "Gothic Barns".  The rafters are 3 plies of 6' lg, 1x10's with the ends cut to suit the 28' radius.  The butts are staggered 2'.  This is an interesting concept that might be made to work in a house plan.  I would add a ridge pole for sure.
://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/plans/5688.pdf

peg_688

QuoteInteresting PEG.

How are they building those frames? Are the mid span braces pushing out standard rafters (and under a lot of compression), or are the bowed rafters cut that shape. And then what is the roof sheathing? Will 1/2" take the curve or does it need to be two layers?

If the frames could be built on the deck as prestressed trusses I expect it would not be a hugely bigger job than building a flat roof plane. (Looking a bit closer at your cross section image it looks like I can make out a 40' radius called out.) That sounds like cut rafters (out of what?)

No problem, we'll just band saw them out of some 24' long 2x28's.  :D

John the note says truss's laminated by manf.  We haven't started the building yet still planing / permit  stage .  So I'm not sure , if when we get to that point I'll start another thread as it will be a couple of months till we get started.

Those old plans sure where nice and simple Eh :) Hand drawn , pre computer.

I'd guess laminated 5/4" plywood or maybe 2 by lumber

Amanda_931

That old book, and the plans from North Dakota both had them laminated at home with 1x4's--forget how many--4-6 deep.

Probably another case of--the good old days were great.

Or at least less bureaucracy.