Clothes Dryer Interior Vent Box Waste Heat Question

Started by ben2go, September 11, 2010, 08:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben2go

I was told about a product that uses clothes dryer waste heat to heat a room.This box connects to the dryer vent duct, and sits on top, or beside the dryer.The air is filtered before being vented back into the room.Does anyone know the proper name for this unit?I saw one once that was made of yellow plastic, looked like a covered kitty liter box, with duct running out of it.I been trying to search for it but have come up empty.All I find is exterior vent boxes to prevent bugs and varmints from going back up the vent duct.  ???

rwanders

??? What do you plan to do with all the moisture it would pour into your house?----I guess it would ensure that you regularly washed your windows with all the condensation running down the glass.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Redoverfarm

There were several of them installed in a ski resort close to me.  Something to the effect of these

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1273159

But there is some concerns some of which are addressed here.

http://www.ask.com/questions-about/Inside-Dryer-Vent

ben2go

MountainDon

I've seen them at Lowe's here in the desert. The desert is one way to help with the excess humidity from the drying clothes.   ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Shawn B

Don't use them on gas/propane dryers because of CO.
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

ben2go

Quote from: Shawn B on September 13, 2010, 10:19:40 AM
Don't use them on gas/propane dryers because of CO.

Oh no.This is an electric unit's air vent.

PA-Builder

I did that about 30 years ago with my electric clothes dryer during the winter when I was also using a wood stove to heat my house.  Since the wood stove kept the relative humidity VERY low, the moisture created by the dryer exhaust actually made the house more comfortable.

ben2go

Quote from: PA-Builder on September 13, 2010, 10:22:44 PM
I did that about 30 years ago with my electric clothes dryer during the winter when I was also using a wood stove to heat my house.  Since the wood stove kept the relative humidity VERY low, the moisture created by the dryer exhaust actually made the house more comfortable.

We heat with K1.Do you think it would cancel out the moisture issue?Our son's bedroom and bathroom stays cold in the winter time.

PA-Builder

I never heated with any Kerosene type products (only wood, and now electricity), so I don't really know how those heaters would affect the humidity in your house.  I'm sure there are others on here that will be able to help you out.  Good luck !

MountainDon

What type of kerosene heater, direct to outside vent or the no vent, everything stays in the house type?  The non vent type will raise the humidity as well as add the products of combustion to the interior while using some oxygen. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ben2go

Quote from: MountainDon on September 14, 2010, 08:00:47 PM
What type of kerosene heater, direct to outside vent or the no vent, everything stays in the house type?  The non vent type will raise the humidity as well as add the products of combustion to the interior while using some oxygen. 

Yep.It's an non vented unit.So far we have had no issues but the house we are currently in is drafty.

MountainDon

Well then, you have the potential for excess humidity, but that depends on the amount of fuel used and how well you get rid of the drafts.

frazoo

Before the invention of the store-bought model, we used to use panty hose over the dryer vent hose.  It worked well for us in one house, the dryer was on the back porch with a wood burning stove (closed in porch), we put a window fan in the house window, opened the other house window on the other end of the porch and had circulating heat flow through the whole house.  Tried it in another house and created too much humidity/mositure in that setting.  So I guess it depends on your particular physical set up and existing conditions.

frazoo
...use a bigger hammer