Inline fan wiring question

Started by MikeT, December 05, 2009, 06:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

Based on some discussions I had on this forum a year or so ago, I decided to purchase an inline fan to pull warm air from the top of my cathedral ceiling down a duct and into my basement.  I am now at the point of wiring for my project and based on the installation instructions, I appear to have a choice of how I wire this unit.   This is now the manual describes it:

1. 115 & 277 Volt: Black wire is hot; white wire is neutral; green is ground
2. 220-240 Volt: Black wire is hot; white wire is hot; green wire is neutral/ground

Does one of these options have an advantage over the other?  Either way, I am assuming I am going with a dedicated circuit.

Thanks again for any insights.

RainDog

Different motors. One set is 50 cycle, the other 60. Look at your packaging for the specs.
NE OK

Redoverfarm

Mike I am sure there are some with a little more ekectrical knowledge than me but I was always told that 220 will run cheaper than 110 cost wise on your electric bill.

rocking23nf

if you go with 220, you need a different breaker at your panel. You need a double breaker. Basically with 220 there is no white anymore, so when you strip your wire you still have a black/white/green. But the white acts a black so you have 2 black and a ground.

As for the cost, the size of the wire doesnt determine your bill, its how much the device is using. you could install 10- double pole breakers vs 20 single pole breakers, and your bill would be the same assuming the electrical load is the same.

And in the long run we are talking pennies overall.

MikeT

I am guessing that I really do not have an option here or really an option isn't necessary.  I checked and the fan has the following specs: 1.33 Amps, 144 Watts, 120V.  So it does not appear to pull much.  Still I will go with a dedicated 20A breaker and 12 ga. wire.  That way, if I want to run something else off it at a later time, it will should be able to handle it.

Thanks.
mt

rocking23nf

The way to calculate how big of a breaker you need is to multiply is size by 80%

so a 15 amp breaker is allowed up to 12 amps, a 20 amp would be 16 amps.

I personally run 12/2 wire whenever i wire anything, I find it easy to work with.

So basically on a 15amp breaker you could run around 10 of those fans at once without the breaker tripping

cfabien

You can run a dedicated 20A circuit if you want to, but it's not necessary for that little fan and in my opinion is a waste of time/money, plus it will take up a slot in your panel you may need for something else down the road. That 1.3A draw is about the same as a two-bulb floor lamp.

I would just tap into the nearest outlet box and run it from that circuit, unless you know that circuit to already be overloaded. I would also just use 14ga (white) romex.

rick91351

My neighbor had a very bad experience with a inline fan, you might keep something in mind when you mount it.  Carefully follow all instructions and place it in area that you can get to for easy maintenance.  As with all things such as this, they do not tend to last for ever.  The neighbor end up with a great expense replacing his, plus his insurance company ended up with a claim to repair everything after a visit from the nice guys with the red trucks with the sirens and lights and hoses.  Last we heard his insurance company is now suing the installers insurance company.  I recently heard they in turn are talking of counter suing because he had sheet rocked over it and was never for that type of installation.  Woow don't you just love it.           
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MikeT

Thanks for the feedback.  I decided to run a 20 A circuit but with a J box so I can tap into it for easy access at a later time.  I will likely run power to for some stuff outdoors at a later time and will want more power than my one or two outdoor circuits will afford me.

mt