Septic drain pipe through foundation

Started by Leviticusgauge, January 27, 2014, 05:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leviticusgauge

We are about to start building our foundation for our house and are trying to figure out the best place to put the pipe that will connect to the septic system. The footings are already poured, so do we lay the pipe through the cinder block (and if so, how?) or another way?

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Leviticusgauge on January 27, 2014, 05:19:33 PM
We are about to start building our foundation for our house and are trying to figure out the best place to put the pipe that will connect to the septic system. The footings are already poured, so do we lay the pipe through the cinder block (and if so, how?) or another way?

I would lay a Sch 40 pipe on the footings and lay your block up to it and bridge above just as you were laying a regular course.  Situate it to where you will have a bridge over the pipe (not at a mortar joint location).  Then mortar it in place while you are laying the block.  If you situate it correctly there will be no pressure on the pipe as the bridge block over it will carry the load to the adjoining blocks. Some have even used a double pipe with the septic line sliding through a larger diameter sleeve of like thickness.  Maybe a little overkill as if you ever had problems just chipping the mortar out and replacing that section is an easy fix.

As far as to it's location you will have to figure out where that would be in relation to your septic tank.  Normally it is laid under the footing.  The reasoning is that you can bury it under the floor of your crawlspace/basement and not interfere with a floor.  But you can follow the bottom of the floor joist to the location to exit it out the wall as long as you keep the perscribed pitch 1/4"to 1'. Shortest distance is best from your anticipated main drop from your first floor waste line.  But sometimes that isn't possible with that main drop, other drains and your septic tank line. Avoid 90 deg (two 45 degs )if possible and install cleanouts .  You probably have State Health guidelines to follow in regards to the tank distance to the residence and water well.  Might check with them on the line as well but I am not aware of  restrictions they are mostly just to the septic tank itself.

hpinson

Is there a practical or code related limit to how long the run can be from house to septic tank?

old_guy

What type of foundation?  We have a full basement, and the pipe exits the basement about 5 and a half feet up from the floor.  The tank is outside about 20 feet away.  The exit point, as mentioned earlier, really depends on the rest of your septic system.

hpinson

Concrete stem walls on a footer probably.  The best site for septic is probably 125 feet away from the optimal build site, and well downgrade. 

SouthernTier

I was wondering about this myself; I would be in a similar situation, although less than 125 feet.

I figured the answer would be to put the septic tank close to the house, but then have a longer run out to the leach field.  Supposedly, it is all just liquids running out to the leach field, but that would not be the case going from the building to the tank.

hpinson

That makes sense.

I wonder if there is anything in code that specifies or prescribes the maximum length of run from tank to leech field, provided that the pitch is maintained?