Gotta love the windmills

Started by peternap, December 21, 2011, 11:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I think I've finally found an old windmill to buy. I love the simplicity and the extreme reduction the transmission gives.

http://vimeo.com/34061765
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Windpower

Looks just like mine
<----

Chicago Aeromotor still in business

http://www.aermotorwindmill.com/Index.asp

Are you going to take it down yourself ?

I had a tech come in and mount mine (it's a rebuilt one )

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

NM_Shooter

Nice looking windmill.  I wanted to build one as an air pump, to see what sort of pressure I could build up.  I think that with a small enough piston I could get decent pressure, but that the re-cycle time would be long.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Windpower

peternap

The place  found it is way up in an almost forgotten part of Va near the coast. There are a lot of them sitting around on abandoned farms. I'm goin to try to get at least one more for spare parts.

After this is up, I can use the wind generator to add a little extra charging ability to the main battery banks instead of pumping water...much of which just goes into he overflow and to the river.

I have a lot on my plate for 2012. The roofing and trusses for my addition are coming just after the 1st and I haven't finished putting the poles in for that yet. I'll do that next weekend and dismantle the windmill the weekend after that, then get it up to the house/barn. BTW, I'm using metal roofing this time and I'll figure a way to keep it from weeping. I want to be able to hear the rain :-\
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Windpower

Peter

you can get almost any part you need from the Aeromotor company in Texas

they are still in production

Sassy

We have a 53 ft Aeromoter windmill that Glenn still has to put up. 

What sizes are yours?  Can I ask what you're looking at for price, Peter?

I think they are really cool.  When I was back in Nebraska last year there were a lot of them.  All my relatives there had them along w/spring houses.  Fond memories.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

peternap

Quote from: Sassy on December 23, 2011, 11:24:08 AM
We have a 53 ft Aeromoter windmill that Glenn still has to put up. 

What sizes are yours?  Can I ask what you're looking at for price, Peter?

I think they are really cool.  When I was back in Nebraska last year there were a lot of them.  All my relatives there had them along w/spring houses.  Fond memories.

I'm not sure what you're asking Sassy.
My wind generator is just a little blue sky...$700.00 dollars I think.
The windmill is a water pump, the width of the vanes is about 5 feet and it's about 50 feet tall.

I paid $300.00 and a case of beer for it and I still have to take it down.

Sassy

Ours is a windmill water pump 53 ft tall, 8ft span on the vanes.  We paid $800 for ours & Glenn had to take it down.  Was just curious what you were paying for yours...  We bought ours from a woman who had recently lost her husband & was selling their place. 

My relatives had windmills in Nebraska (water pumps) at all of their places & they are still working.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free