Do you remember

Started by peternap, August 14, 2008, 08:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

desdawg

Quote from: benevolance on August 15, 2008, 02:18:52 PM
How is it an invasion of privacy to ask gun owners to be responsible..I am actually a little bit flexible on registration...I do not believe in a gun tax...I do believe that all people should have to take and pass a safety course... we all think we know everything...With a gun safety is a legit concern. I am not crazy about those high powered weapons that hold 80 or 100 rounds.. armor piercing bullets seem wrong to me...But if someone wants a regular run of the mill gun to hunt with or protect their home I think that is perfectly natural.

as for satellite photos of our homes... This is an invasion...They deploy these things without asking...and for years they have monitored us without or permission or consent... They cannot tap my phone or conduct surveilance of my property on land without a warrant.. but it is okay for them to zoom in and see what colour underwear I am wearing from outer space... This is totally unacceptable IMHO

It seems they think that space and satellites are a loophole around getting a warrant to spy on us.. if we have a right to privacy on our own land then they should not be able to circumnavigate around it by flying into the air or into space...

I hope that they come up with some device where when the black helicopters fly over you flick a switch and it shuts them down...some sort of electro magneto device... Teach those bastard for flying over my land without permission

Registration and responsibility are not interchangeable words.

ED: redid the quote/reply to separate the two for wasier readability. MD
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

I'm thinking about a new handgun so Sassy can have my Baretta .380 semi-auto.

Any suggestions.  A friend is thinking .45 revolver.  I do like semi- autos.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Well, I am a long time wheel gun fan; they are very simple, dependable super simple to make safe. I especially like large caliber bullets like the 45.  I've only had a couple of 22's, all other handguns have been 45's and have been revolvers. I am also totally enraptured with the action of the Springfield Armory 1911A1 semi-auto pistol. It's a real slick piece of work, but pricey; $1K plus or minus, depending on model. We've put 550 rounds through it and it has not even hiccuped once.

Go here for an easy to use gun/dealer locator.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Quote from: benevolance on August 16, 2008, 12:12:58 AM
registration goes hand in hand with responsible gun ownership

::)

That is so far into left field and there's not a grains worth of truth to it; it makes me want to...

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I doubt I will ever have another registered gun.  I'm not buying and owning them so the gestapo can drive right up and try to steal them from me.   

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Of course Glenn, that is my totally biased opinion; I don't profess to be impartial on that.

"Bigger bullets make bigger holes."  There's probably something un-PC about that statement.  ???

glenn kangiser

Thanks,  Don.  I think it will probably be something in the .45 size range.

apaknad

hi glen,

for a wheel gun, 357 mag or larger non mag. stick with the .45 1911 design for auto. good knock down power and plenty of ammo around. they have had alot of time to work out the bugs. for bear/lion stoppage, clint eastwood special. i like the american manufacturers for larger handguns.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

apaknad

wrong!!!

tell that to the people in new orleans where the police took legally registered firearms after katrina. how old are you ben? ???

MountainDon

Quote from: benevolance on August 16, 2008, 12:12:58 AM
registration goes hand in hand with responsible gun ownership

Registration of an automobile does not automatically make the registrant a responsible driver.

A driver of a registered automobile could be a total idiot, or the driver could be a complete saint, or the driver could be someplace in between. The two have absolutely no connection. None.

Registration of any item is simply registration. Period.

The corollary to guns or any other item could be safely drawn.

John_C

Quotethe "gestapo" has not come to take away any legal firearm from a law abiding citizen.

You are so clueless it defies comprehension.

NY City's Sullivan law enacted in 1911 made it all but impossible to own (not carry, OWN) a handgun unless you were wealthy, politically connected or preferably both.  If you were driving from one place where handgun ownership was legal, say PA or VA ,  to  another, sat VT  or  NH,  you could not legally transport the gun through any part of NY City.  Not even in a locked case, locked in the trunk of your car.  If you lived in upstate NY  and wanted to visit someone who lived on Long Island there was virtually no legal way to take a gun with you, despite the fact that they were legal at either end of your journey.  And, after nearly 100 years it's worked so well , as we all know it has kept guns out of the hands of criminals in NY City d*

The "sensible" gun registration laws in Washington D.C. made it impossible for anyone but a politician to get a permit.  Retired police and military with long histories of training and responsible gun ownership were denied "permits", even if they were willing to spend large sums of money and undergo lengthy procedural paperwork.  This law was the basis for the Supreme Court challenge that recently found all such laws unconstitutional.

In MA the "common sense registration" laws have transformed Boston into an area of armed predators and unarmed citizenry.

The scenario is the same in most large cities and large parts of CA,  OR  and WA  to name a few. 

You keep stating your OPINION as if it means something.  You can't site any meaning full statistics or case law in this country to substantiate your position.

You are entitled to your opinion. You have the right to express it.  Just don't confuse it with fact, or truth.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: benevolance on August 16, 2008, 02:15:53 AM
Glenn

If and when someone from the Gestapo actually comes for your guns you can type that... Until it happens it is fear mongering on your part. You know well  and true that you can own as many guns as you like.

There are people in America that own registered guns and the "gestapo" has not come to take away any legal firearm from a law abiding citizen...

No fear mongering Peter.  Check out all the illegal presidential signing orders in the last 8 or even more years for a picture of where they and we are at.  Things can change as soon as the neocons stage their next disaster, or perhaps you believe the official 9/11 story?  Remember Chertoff's gut feeling confirmed by Congolisa and many of the top officials --- then right after that at least 5/6 of their attempt to steal 5 nukes from Minot was foiled by true patriotic servicemen - some of whom died to stop it.

Note that the Bush/Cheney cabal still has one of the nukes - it was never recovered - 6 left - 5 were recovered in LA but Chertoff felt it or something similar could arrive in a western city.  Bush and Cheney were the only ones capable of getting it as far as it got due to presidential permissions required.  Note that some forget that he has never been elected (installed by so called Supreme Court first time - vote fraud kept him in second time).

Many still follow his orders.  Fortunately not all do.

If you want fear mongering and a good reason to keep your Constitutional right to bear arms, current events should be a good enough reason.  Open your eyes.

When they come it will be too late.  The Bush crime family learned from and is basing their MO on the example set by their good friend and Prescott Bush's business associate, Hitler.   Homeland - Fatherland --- sounds the same to me and scares the crap out of a Jewish lady I met who was there as a child.

If you believe the official story I am sorry for you and your family. 

When they come for the guns, it will be too late. 

glenn kangiser

Quote from: apaknad on August 16, 2008, 08:03:40 AM
wrong!!!

tell that to the people in new orleans where the police took legally registered firearms after katrina. how old are you ben? ???

Katrina was a practice run for them with obvious government assistance to remove the blacks from their homes and scatter them so far many would never make it back - a service to their supporters and buddies in the NO Mafia and big business.  The levy was not breached until the day after Katrina with indications of major explosives and a mysterious gunfight on the Danziger bridge between NO police and Federal contractors. 

The story is still being changed even as of a couple days ago where the Feds were made into citizens (so the new story goes).  I was following that story very closely the day it happened so am aware of the changes - 3 times the first day that I am aware of, becoming more unbelievable as it changed. 

Blackwater was used against the residents.  Try to reason with one of those guys.  If you followed the official stories you didn't learn of the scores of bodies floating down the streets nor will you ever if you don't research it. 

Hi - we're from the government and we're here to help you.

Lucky there are still a few good government people left, but for sure - not all.

John_C

Quotegun ownership is legal and easy for all law abiding citizens.

New York City    Los Angeles    Chicago    Philadelphia    San Diego    Detroit
San Francisco    Baltimored    Milwaukee    Boston    Seattle    Washington  Portland    Fresno    Long Beach    Sacramento    Oakland    Minneapolis
Santa Ana    Anaheim     Jersey City

43 Million people, most law abiding, who wouldn't agree with that statement.  Not to mention entire states like NJ  or    MA with draconian gun laws

I'm through with this

MountainDon

Wow! That's a lot of folks with their Second Amendment rights being tampered with / trampled on / squashed. I had no idea it was that bad. Thanks John C

Dittos

ScottA

Not many people get what the second amendment was all about. The framers of the constitution did not want a standing army. The only way a country can be secure without an army is if every citizen is armed and trained for militia duty. This security was not just for possible foreign invaders but also for protection from the government itself. Thus the second amendment was born:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It's really not that hard to figure out. Today we have not only a standing army but gun control as well. This undermines the intent of the second amendment. The founders knew from history that standing armies where often (nearly always) used to control their own people. This gives the government more power than it should have. Because of this the meaning of the second amendment has been twisted and distorted so most people today have a hard time understanding it's purpose. If you remove the right of the people to be armed you also remove the entire constitution and effectivly change our form of government. Today the standing army also includes the police since they've come under the control of the federal government and are used just as the framers feared. For the control of the people.

MountainDon

John_C

Scott,
You are absolutely correct. 

It is also a deterrent to an invading force.  We think we are having problems with insurgents.  Imaging an occupying force in the Appalachian Mtns., where every Bubba is armed and knows the terrain. 

It is one reason the Swiss have been able to stay out of major wars.  Pretty much all adult Swiss men are required to be proficient with firearms.  Care to engage the well trained Swiss in their Alps?

Check out the history of what the Finnish snipers did during WWII.  There kill rate was something like 40:1   A Russian general when asked about conquering Finnish territory said "We gained 22,000 square miles of territory. Just enough to bury our dead"..  They lost 1 million men against the Finns.

One of Finland's most famous snipers was Simo Hayha
from Wikipedia
QuoteBefore entering combat, Häyhä was a farmer. During the Winter War (1939–1940) between Finland and the Soviet Union, he began his duty as a sniper against the Red Army. Working in temperatures between −20 and −40 degrees Celsius (−4 and −40 degrees Fahrenheit), and dressed completely in a white camouflage suit, Häyhä was credited with 500+ confirmed kills against Soviet soldiers

The Finns took poorly made Soviet rifles and accurized them. The quality of Finnish gun smithing remains to this day. Sako make some of the most accurate out of the box rifles you can find.

Redoverfarm

You are right scott.  Try to manhunt someone from the mountains and in the mountains.  A long exhausting effort.  Had one next to Maryland that lasted 1 and 1/2 weeks near Maryland state line. 200 plus officers and the end result was apprehended but not in the short term.

apaknad

i met a finnish exchange student last summer and she said the finns hate the russians... you don't see them rolling into finland like they did to semi-defenseless georgia do you? the russians are bullies and won't attack a tough army or they will get their butt kicked. >:(

glenn kangiser

I really have no intent of shooting any of them but just having something they understand is a great deterrent in protecting our rights as demonstrated by their new attitudes in the recent fire. 

I did talk to the granddaughter the officer tried to impress with his finger gun and threat he would be back to get her.  Usually that type of guy is one with balls the size of peanuts when his bluff is called.  A little man with a badge and a gun to make him feel big.  Obviously he has an inferiority complex and feels that threatening girls makes him feel he is a bit more of a macho man. 

I see no reason to roll over and play dead because they have all of the force and have done nothing to make them come after me.  At least it deters their little finger guns and illegally running me off of my own property.  That actually made it worthwhile for me to have it and if it went to more than that it would have been their choice - not mine and one look at me told them I didn't care - it was their choice.  They were able to sense that without me ever having to threaten them.  They did abuse the rights of lot of people and of several at the party.  More than one told me they were happy I did what I did and thought it was great that I decided to stand up against theior abuse.

I was proud of the granddaughter in that she had the guts to flip the wimp off.  She mentioned that she is a gun owner and great shot also although she was unarmed at the time of his threats.

Freedom - not here - not really.  Nearly every move is regulated.  Many feel free as long as they don't ever step outside of the lines. Can you build shelter for your family without permission?  Can you sell fresh milk from the family cow?  Can you drive down the road without a seat belt?  Ride a bike or M/C without a helmet?  Visit a park you own part of without a fee? 

Oh yeah --- these are for our own good -- not a infringement on freedom. 

ScottA

benevolance, I have no intention of shooting anyone or being targeted by a cruise missle. The constitution is an ideal, a very good plan for a government of and for the people. I think we can thank the second amendment for the fact that after over 200 years Americans still have some freedoms. Without it things would probly have gone down hill a hundred years sooner than they did. Do I think there is any hope of undoing the damage already done? Not really. Like all empires this one will run it's course. Not much any of us can do but watch.  But that doesn't mean that we should turn our backs on the ideal. It needs to live on.

glenn kangiser

Great Britain --- every day every person is photographed on cctv and others 3000 times on the average....every DAY.

desdawg

Quote from: ScottA on August 18, 2008, 07:23:56 AM
benevolance, I have no intention of shooting anyone or being targeted by a cruise missle. The constitution is an ideal, a very good plan for a government of and for the people. I think we can thank the second amendment for the fact that after over 200 years Americans still have some freedoms. Without it things would probly have gone down hill a hundred years sooner than they did. Do I think there is any hope of undoing the damage already done? Not really. Like all empires this one will run it's course. Not much any of us can do but watch.  But that doesn't mean that we should turn our backs on the ideal. It needs to live on.
Kind of like the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire. I think we already have the decadence part down pat.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.