why do guys do this???

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, March 27, 2008, 10:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I don't know about his other places, but if you've seen PEG's workshop, work sites, garden plants, you'd not be including him in that statement.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

sparks

Don't know PEG's places Don, is he an exception to the rule?  An anti-slob? Can he run for public office without being attacked?
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

benevolance

it is nice to have things put away clean and tidy... but that takes time...And I never seem to be able to find enough of it to do the work and to clean everything to perfection

So a cluttered life it is

Homegrown Tomatoes

Nonsense!  If you put stuff up as soon as you're done with it, everything stays neat and organized.  It doesn't take any longer (or not much longer, at least) to put stuff where it belongs!  Think about it... every day you leave one tool or item out because you tell yourself that it will take too long if you put it up in the right place.  By the end of the week, you'll have to spend a lot longer to clean and/or put away all the junk you left out.  There are two in my family... DH and my oldest daughter!... and both of them do that.  I sent my daughter to her room the other day to put up a pair of shoes.  On the way, she saw the bathroom door open and realized she'd forgotten to brush her teeth, so she went in and set the shoes on the counter, and while she was brushing her teeth, she decided that she needed to go to the bathroom, and so then by the time she finished and washed her hands, she remembered that she was on her way to her bedroom, but didn't remember why.  A little later she came out wearing butterfly wings and a cowboy hat and announced, "Watch my show, Ma!"  I asked her if she'd put the shoes up and she looked at me innocently and said, "What shoes?"  I told her the ones she had gone to her room to put up, and she said blankly, "Which shoes????"  We eventually found them sitting on the bathroom counter. 

MountainDon

When you end up with that pile of stuff, or several piles of stuff, it then becomes a separate task, a job, to put all those things where they should have gone in the first. Confronted with "extra work" there can be a tendency to leave it. The situation gets worse.

My 0.02 worth.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

If I kept track of all the time it takes Glenn to find stuff  ::)   But then, I put things away - sometimes in such a good place I can't find them  ???  d* c*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: MountainDon on March 28, 2008, 11:00:54 AM
When you end up with that pile of stuff, or several piles of stuff, it then becomes a separate task, a job, to put all those things where they should have gone in the first. Confronted with "extra work" there can be a tendency to leave it. The situation gets worse.

My 0.02 worth.
I agree, Don... and the more you put it off, the more things pile up, and the more daunting the task.  I remember a Herman cartoon from the 80s that had a picture of the two adults in the front seat of a small car and about ten kids crammed into the back seat behind them.  The wife is looking at the husband and saying, "I thought you said we could get a bigger car when the twins were born?"  Underneath, it said, the more you put things off, the more they pile up!

benevolance

It is not nonsense... When I am at the shop working on cars...there is usually a couple of people waiting for something...So I finish one car and then start the next... I am lucky to get the floor swept of speedy dry down on fluids in between customers.

When I am away working I work 16+ hours a day...2 weeks away working and 2 weeks back with the wife...Sometimes there is a kid that comes around and I give him a few bucks to sweep the floor and pick up the trash...Stuff like that...

When I am working in the shop I am making as much as 50 bucks an hour...I do not have time for sweeping and cleaning and the like...

Yes I know I need to hire someone...I have tried...They usually do not last a full day and they quit or I tell them to go home...Hard to get someone that will do what they are told...

And so a cluttered life it is for now

MountainDon

I have not worked in the auto trades for a long time and then it was only part time work. I only did simple stuff, oil changes, shocks, water pump, thermostat, u-joints, generator sway out, etc. Never opened anything major up. But the guy I worked for was adamant about being tidy while working. By that I mean the tools go back where they belong when not needed, air hoses were retracted when not in use, garbage was placed in the proper bin instead of left on the floor or bench. We didn't clean the floor while we worked unless some larger spill happened. At the end of the night, we usually had enough time to clean the floor good. Never left it for the next day.

I carried that over into my own little garage/workshop when I raced. To this day I find it easier to put tools back when I'm finished for the day.  And then sweep the floor as well. Most of the time. Yep, there are times tools stack up, but eventually they're in the way or what I want is under something that should have been put away. It looks better to others and feels better to me.

MountainDon

Furthermore, when I was in the retail photo equipment business I did not tolerate messes anywhere. I believed then and now that an unkempt appearance, things laying around here and there, was and is an invitation to theft.

The same neatness policy was carried out throughout the stores, shipping and receiving had places for the tools they required. Lunchrooms were to be kept neat, spills wiped up immediately, office space tidy and everything put away at the end of the worday, and so on. We did all the housekeeping ourselves, not farmed out to a cleaning service. Too many tempting things around.

My stores were cleaner than my home most of the time.

benevolance

I have a mobile bench cart that the tools go on...by the end of the day there are so many tools on it that it is hard to find anything...And every night I try to wipe em down and hang stuff back up...

In the morning before I start I take 5 minutes to tidy up if needed...But it is only an hour and there is clutter again....The shop holds 10 cars....And there are usually 20-30 outside...It is just too much chaos right now....When you are flat out it is hard to find time for being neat and tidy and cleaning up after yourself.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: MountainDon on March 28, 2008, 09:17:13 PM
I believed then and now that an unkempt appearance, things laying around here and there, was and is an invitation to theft.

My husband told me one time that he remembers a news show where a former burglar was interviewed (in Korea) and the burglar mentioned that when he came into a house, he looked at the shoe shelf by the front door.  If that shelf was organized and neat, he said he usually left because those people would have their valuables put away.  But if the shoe shelf was messy, he would go on in and rob the house.  For some reason, that's stuck with my husband to this day.  We always had a shoe shelf by the front door, and as silly as it may sound, we were pretty particular about it staying halfway organized.  The kids have always known that their boots and shoes go neatly on the shelf in pairs, not randomly thrown on a shelf... unfortunately, we haven't reestablished the shoe shelf since we moved because there isn't a good place to put it in this house.

John_C

Homegrown,

Did he say what he did if he saw neatly a organized reloading bench and two stacks of combat targets?.... One new and a few with very tight center of mass holes.

Just curious  :)      Feet don't fail me now perhaps???

benevolance

well my tools are valuable... but the money what there is of it is not accessible...So a thief will need to lug off heavy tool boxes or maybe heavy car parts like engines and transmissions I have saved???

I had some problem with a thief a while back...they went in and pulled the radiators out of my classic cars for scrap...I went to the scrap metal place and found out who it was...they told me...I confronted them...And ended up beating the SH** out of them.... They did try to bite my finger off though... But they are now missing 3 teeth and the guys eyeball looked like it would almost touch his nose... My hands were sore for a week from beating the guy...I should have used a bat or something I guess.

I do not have much problems with thieves...I had someone vandalize my property once...That really made me upset because I knew who did it and they ran to another state before I could have a word of prayer with them about it.

glenn kangiser

I like the way you prey, Peter. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

I have a local garage that I deal with (friend) and he is starting to organize his shop a little bit better.  He was spending more time hunting for tools than it took to put them back after he worked.  He is constantly working from 7:30-6:00 daily.  Then the weekend is the general cleaning time.  Then again another friend who specialized in transmissions (GM)was a fanatic. He would clean each wrench and put it back in the tool box when he didn't need it. But he had done some many he could tell you what wrenches he was done with on the job before he was actually finished.  But alot of his work was done on benches after they were removed. 

I think alot of disorganization on my part is due to working at different locations and using my workbench as a staging area.  I take something there to fix or repair and then go back to the different job to finish it and sometimes it is later that I return to the bench to pickup the tools that I used.  Then add a couple of those task one right after the other and the bench is in complete disaray.

benevolance

When you are tinkering you can slow down and clean up...But it takes time...I know you can budget time for clean up... but that is something I am not good at... at all.

Which is why I like it when there is a little help around I can get them to sweep and wipe and put things away... roll up the air hose or drop cord etc..

benevolance

Glenn

Dunno if winning the fight is winning though man...My wife looked at me like I was a possessed psycho...She hates violence of any kind...And I did have to work the next day with my hands all swollen up...and let me tell you... a human bite is nasty...it got infected... hurt real bad..I later learned that there are twice as many germs in a human bite than a wild dog's bite... I would have hurt less had the guy punched me in the face than to have my wife look at me as if she was disappointed in me...

glenn kangiser

You are right.  It's one of those things I always feel like doing, but somehow some kind of sense slips in and stops me.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

plus when you are 17 or whatever the body is tough... a punch in the face does not hurt and your hands are tough... Well I am not 17.... my hands swelled up like bean bags...A human skull is hard as punching a tree man... does not give much....So what the guy hit like a 6 year old And he never left a mark on me except the bite....Every time my wife saw me soak my hands or rub them she was there to tell me what a fool I was...

Still felt pretty good though thinking that a small guy like me can still kick some butt...*LOL*..Why is it that 6 foot something guys always want to pick on little guys like me...  :( I am gettiing too old for this crap man... maybe I need a gun like don?

my dad was pretty tough on me and my brother... and I have never been hit by anyone harder than he hit us growing up...to this day when someone hits me it is like a joke ...I always think, wow my dad hits harder than you pal...

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Quote from: benevolance on March 30, 2008, 04:12:21 AM
... maybe I need a gun like don?
Not if you're going to run off after the guy(s) and shoot them someplace away from the scene of the original crime. That will put you in jail and on trial, etc for certain just about anywhere. Maybe it's a good thing you don't have a gun, Peter. You'd be in a lockup or perhaps out on bail right now,

Keeping a gun(s) for protection at work, home, etc is fine. Using it there is fine if there is no other course. You have to be certain about you local/state laws on whether or not forced entry into your home for example is cause enough to fire away. Here that is fine with the law. But once the perpetrator runs off, then you enter dangerous legal ground if you pursue and shoot.

There's a local case that exemplifies that. Man (A) sees man (B) breaking into his truck. (A) grabs his gun and runs out into the yard, they scuffle. Man (B) runs off. Man (A) follows him for 1/4 mile and catches him. (A) shoots and kills (B).

(A) was arrested and convicted of manslaughter. He's got a couple of years for that. There are a lot of folks upset and petitioning Gov Bill for a pardon. I feel sorry for (A) and his family, but I believe he made an error, stepped over the line when he chased him that 1/4 mile and shot him.

benevolance

plus the guy initially opted to scuffle with him and lost...And the gun was a second effort... when calling the police would have sufficed..I do not think the guy should have confronted the guy and tried to physically overpower him if he as going to get a gun

Should have shot the guy in the foot to begin with to wound him until the police arrived. though some people believe that you have to kill someone if you shoot at them...As to leave no victim crying innocent... though morally I have a hard time justifying killing someone for a car stereo or old beat up pick up truck that has insurance... But some people just sit at home begging someone to raise their voice because they are armed to the teeth

benevolance

the more I think about it the guy should be charged with murder... I mean he lost the fight... and then went back to his house... to get his gun with the intent to shoot the guy... that is pre meditated murder... even if there were circumstances that agitated the situation

I am lucky the guy I caught stealing came back to my shop where i confronted him...And the guy hit me first...I called him a few choice names in front of several people and called him out as a thief in front of people he knew...Which is why he hit me I guess...

I would never knock on someone else's door to punch them out... that is a one way ticket to jail... in their yard or out of your own yard off your own property... The minute the guy left his property with a gun hunting the guy that had his truck he was committing more than manslaughter.... Manslaughter is a gift to this guy... it should be second degree murder.

tanya

You can train anyone to put anything away properly.  First you don't bother to tell anyone anything they don't listen anyway and they startt hinking you take care of thier stuff.  BUT when you find a bunch of stuff wher eit doesn't belong HIDE IT, HIDE IT GOOD.  When they come looking for it say well I don't know hwere it is that isn't my responsibility and it you put it where it belongs you would know where it is.  Then offer to "help" look for it if they will pay you five bucks. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.