Deck flashing

Started by grover, December 21, 2013, 01:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grover

I have found in my searches how a deck to house attachment should be flashed...almost.  The part I am looking for is the end of the ledger board flashing.  How do you protect that part of the attachment from water intrusion?
I am to the point where I have the house wrap over the band board.  Should I attach my ledger board over the top of the house wrap?  I see no reason not to.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: grover on December 21, 2013, 01:19:17 PM
I have found in my searches how a deck to house attachment should be flashed...almost.  The part I am looking for is the end of the ledger board flashing.  How do you protect that part of the attachment from water intrusion?
I am to the point where I have the house wrap over the band board.  Should I attach my ledger board over the top of the house wrap?  I see no reason not to.

The end of the ledger can be done with the same piece as what goes lengthwise but a few intricate cuts have to be made to form 90 deg bends.  But the easiest way is to do it with a small piece and then cover with the longer piece and caulk the seams. or just use grace window tape for the ends.  The proper way to flash is to slit the house wrap, insert the flashing under it if it is already installed.  If not consider a layer of the Grace or storm/ice guard against the sheeeting and then the house wrap.  There is no way you can get the area sealed between the flashing and the housewrap to prevent water/moisture from running down the housewrap and not under the flashing and ultimately between the ledger and your sheeting if you just attach the flashing on top of the housewrap. Make Sense?

The house wrap below the ledger should be up under the ledger.  Do not leave any gaps in the housewrap for water to enter after running off the ledger.

A word of caution Grover is that plain aluminum flashing will corrode with exposure of the new chemicals used in pressure treated lumber.  Most professionals advise to use Stainless Steel or copper.  But that is a considerable amount of money that most do not want to invest in for decks.  An alternative is to place a layer of Grace or similar self adhesive ice/storm guard between the flashing and the pressure treated lumber to prevent that chemical reaction.  Without it the flashing will corrode in a short period of time and there will be no protection from water penetration.

When I did my cabin I used a layer of the rubber underlayment mentioned and then attached the ledger and flashed as I stated.  Sort of extra protection. 

The best flashing is one that is broke(bent) to 2-(two)  90 deg's first against the house and the second over the ledger face. 

akwoodchuck

Quote from: Redoverfarm on December 21, 2013, 02:07:41 PM

A word of caution Grover is that plain aluminum flashing will corrode with exposure of the new chemicals used in pressure treated lumber.  Most professionals advise to use Stainless Steel or copper.  But that is a considerable amount of money that most do not want to invest in for decks.  An alternative is to place a layer of Grace or similar self adhesive ice/storm guard between the flashing and the pressure treated lumber to prevent that chemical reaction.  Without it the flashing will corrode in a short period of time and there will be no protection from water penetration.

+1....lately I've been partial to running vycor over deck structural members....joists, beams, ledgers, etc...pretty easy to do and cheap insurance...

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

grover

ak, not sure if that is your foundation or not but that is a beautiful view.

I will look into vinyl flashing and the self adhesive membrane.  I did find one picture of how to flash the end area of the ledger board.  Looks like a combination of membrane and bent aluminum is the answer there.

grover

I've been looking into this a little more and in reference to the water protection under the ledger board...Why couldn't I put a strip of the roofing material for ice dams on the rim board starting under my house wrap at the top and extending down just below the sill plate.  It has a self adhesive back and around here they have some that is 36 inches wide.  I could cut a piece lengthwise and have perfect water protection for the bottom 18 inches.  Then the ledger board and then the drip flashing over the ledger board.  Then the only way water is getting to my framing wood is through the holes drilled for my bolts.  You could even stick a piece of bent metal flashing under the bottom part if you want a piece that will take the water away from the house there which are blocks in my case?

Does it sound like a good idea?

Don_P

Yes, this is what Redover was describing. A flashing under the ledger that extends up above the ledger on the wall, this is often meatal and bent out over any siding below to kick any water that gets behind the ledger out over whatever is below. Then the ledger is applied and a counterflashing that laps over the lower flashing on the wall, is bent out over the ledger and kicks any water out onto the face of the ledger. Finally the housewrap above the deck is over the counterflash and flashing, any water that penetrated the siding above is lead out over the face of the ledger. The lowest flashing extends beyond the ledger or around the corner. I've never worried about flashing the ends of a ledger because of this.