my sweet dog rip

Started by Dog, August 09, 2009, 01:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog

Last night we had to take our our sweet golden/lab mix to be euthanized. She was 16. We adopoted her 14 years ago as a rescue and she was immediately part of the family.
She had just given birth to her second litter of puppies. Her owner was an elderly women who thought she was just getting too fat so she completely stopped feeding her.
Her puppies were born healthy even though she nearly staved to death. While she wasn't being fed she continued to feed her pups. Thankfully someone noticed what was happening and reported it.
After she was rescued she spent a month in the hospital. They had to lift her head to feed her. When we got her home she was fur draped on bones yet she was a happy dog! She had strength, determination and such a will to live. Over the past year she developed ridiculopothy in her hind legs. Somehow she still managed to hop up and down the stairs using just her front legs for strength. I don't know how she did this but she followed me everywhere. We could tell she was in pain but she still ate well, liked to play and continued to boss our other dog around. 
Last night she came up to me to tell me it was time. I hope this doesn't sound crazy but you could see it in her eyes.
She was such a sweet dog. She was a friend to everyone she met including other animals. I miss her so much.
She loved life but I know she's in a better place because she's no longer suffering.
Thanks for reading.
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

Redoverfarm

I feel your loss.  Last year we went through the same after 17 years.  I really don't know why this method is worse than natural causes but it just does.  Keep strong.

Whitlock

I'm so sorry for your loss  :(

I'm going to lose one of my old dogs soon also, and it already hurts just knowing that he is not long for this world. :(

hang in their,W
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

MushCreek

I understand all too well- we're probably just days away from the same situation. Our old dog has a tumor on her pancreas, driving her blood sugar down to dangerously low levels. As soon as I feel she's suffering (which she probably already is) we'll have to face up to it.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

rick91351

Hey Dog, as one has been there - it is strange fraternity we belong to going through that.  Though I never knew your dog nor never have I ever met you - I do feel for you.  I can say you did well by rescuing and sounds like you were blessed by a great companion.

Very strange; dogs - after all the pain of a such loss.  We all could say - no more, we really don't need a dog.  Yet we all seem to continue to choose to love our dogs and them seem to choose to love us and trust us despite our imperfections.

Thanks for sharing.

rlr

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

StinkerBell

glenn kangiser

I've had many and lost many.  It's never fun to lose one.  Sometimes they are one of the few friends you can trust, no matter what.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dog

Thank you.

I've lost many over the years but it never gets easier. They are such good friends who give such loyal unconditional love.

Again, thank you. I knew I'd get sincere support here.
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

southernsis

I am so sorry for your loss. They become part of your family and with their passing leave a big hole in your life. We are going to lose our old newf soon as she is over 12. I have had people tell me that it is just a dog. I disagree, she is more important that some of my own family. A dog does not judge you and thinks the world of you.
Why can't dog live as long as humans? :(
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

karnf

Bless you for telling us your story with your beloved friend who has given you so much in love
and dedication. We have a brother and sister sheltie (Bonnie and McCleod) who are going to be
eleven and I can tell you they have been such a joy in our lives that I can't imagine being without
them. We were never blessed with kids but God chose us to share their lives.
I wanted to suggest a book to read that has helped many through their greiving. It is called
"Rescuing Sprite" by Mark Levin. He rescued a mixed dog many years ago from a shelter and the
the medical problems the dog faced over the years never dampen Sprite's spirit for life and giving love
24-7. The dog's determination to live a full happy life was never shadowed by his illness. It helped
Mark through the difficult medical problems he faced and gave him no reason to complain when he
looked at how Sprite dealt with his physical difficulties. I hope you enjoy it and it will give you hope
that you have given your dog the greatest life he could have ever imagined. All of the money goes
from the books sold will go to animal shelters. take care!

Redoverfarm

Bishopknight

Dog,

I'm really sorry for your loss. That was a beautiful story. She is no longer suffering now. I've had a Golden Retriever and they are sweet amazing dogs. I'm sure she'll be missed.

peternap

Dog....I'm sorry and if you're the kind of person I think you are, nothing I can say will make it any better. Time heals..mostly.

Been there and it never gets any easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_enV4b5rEaw
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!