Tea Anyone?

Started by Dog, March 17, 2009, 10:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog

This might not be a bad idea. Maybe it'll get some of the people who work for us in Washington to pay attention.  c* Tea Anyone? I don't usually go for this stuff, but it's really annoying what's going on.

SEND A TEA BAG, NOTHING ELSE ON APRIL 1ST...SO IT ARRIVES BY APRIL 15TH TO THE WHITE HOUSE (Address below) AND DO NOT SIGN YOUR NAME AND ADD ANY I.D. UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE ON A GOV. "LIST." I'm sure no one on this site is already on the "List".  [noidea'

There's a storm abrewin'.  What happens when good, responsible people keep quiet?   Washington has forgotten they work for us. We don't work for them.  Throwing good money after bad is NOT the answer.  I am sick of the midnight, closed door sessions to come up with a plan.  I am sick of Congress raking CEO's over the coals while they, themselves, have defaulted on their taxes.  I am sick of the bailed out companies having lavish vacations and retreats on my dollar.  I am sick of being told it is MY responsibility to rescue people that, knowingly, bought more house than they could afford.  I am sick of being made to feel it is my patriotic duty to pay MORE taxes.  I, like all of you, am a responsible citizen.  I pay my taxes.  I live on a budget and I don't ask someone else to carry the burden for poor decisions I may make.  I have emailed my congressmen and senators asking them to NOT vote for the stimulus package as it was written without reading it first.  No one listened.  They voted for it, pork and all.

O.K. folks, here it is.  You may think you are just one voice and what you think won't make a difference.  Well, yes it will and YES, WE CAN!!   If you are disgusted and angry with the way Washington is handling our taxes.  If you are fearful of the fallout from the wreckless spending of BILLIONS to bailout and "stimulate" without accountability and responsibility then we need to become ONE, LOUD VOICE THAT CAN BE HEARD FROM EVERY CITY, TOWN, SUBURB AND HOME IN AMERICA.   There is a growing protest to demand that Congress, the President and his cabinet LISTEN to us, the American Citizens.  What is being done in Washington is NOT the way to handle the economic free fall.

So, here's the plan.  On April 1, 2009, all Americans are asked to send a TEABAG to Washington , D.C.   You do not have to enclose a note or any other information unless you so desire.  Just a TEABAG..   Many cities are organizing protests.  If you simply search, "New American Tea Party", several sites will come up.  If you aren't the 'protester' type, simply make your one voice heard with a TEABAG.  Your one voice will become a roar when joined with millions of others that feel the same way.  Yes, something needs to be done but the lack of confidence as shown by the steady decline in the stock market speaks volumes.
                      This was not my idea.  I visited the sites of the 'New American Tea Party' and an online survey showed over 90% of thousands said they would send the teabag on April 1.  Why, April 1??  We want them to reach Washington by April 15.       

Send it to;               1600 Pennsylvania Ave.     Washington , D.C. 20500 

Visit the website for more information about the 'New American Tea Party'.  I would encourage everyone to go ahead and get the envelope ready to mail, then just drop it in the mail April 1.  Can't guarantee what the postage will be by then, it is going up as we speak, but have your envelope ready.  What will this cost you?  A little time and a 40 something cent stamp.

What could you receive in benefits?  Maybe, just maybe, our elected officials will start to listen to the people.  Take out the Pork.  Tell us how the money is being spent..  We want TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY.  Remember, the money will be spent over the next 4-5 years. It is not too late.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

bayview

Probably will make one feel good . . . But will anyone pay attention? 
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MountainDon

Sending a tea bag will likely just cause a backup, and additional money spent, when the envelope hits the screening process. A letter to your congressperson and senators as well one to the white house would probably have the same effect. Or maybe send a picture or photocopy of tea packaging or a tea bag.

If going the tea route I'd definitely do that anonymously as sending something like could be construed as a threat. Save the hot water for your own beverages.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Dog

I'm struggling with that too. I wasn't even sure about posting this. I don't like to waste and I do see it potentiality as a waste of tea and paper in addition to delivery service if no one pays attention.

However, if a response was big and loud enough and came from enough different places in US, maybe the people in Washington would do what they had promised to with the  Obama administration. TRANSPARENCY! We all know things are out of control. Obama didn't walk into an easy situation, but he did promise a transparent government.

MountainDon

Posting the info is no problem as I see it.

The symbolic tea party is an interesting concept. However, as I previously stated it's my personal belief that an email is a better use of resources.

Remember there's a handy guide to How to Complain to Your Federal Government (USA)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

fraggin

Not to be a pessimst, but Your tax dollars likely pay for a department of under grads that screen mail. I suppose many people envision a santa sized sack of solicitations dropped on Obamas Desk daily with tea bags littering the oval office. But, it's more realistic that a system is already in place to pick out an envelope with a tea bag and route it straight to the incenerator.

What people fail to remember about the original tea party was that the tea dumped into the harbor was a shipment of tea that was essentially monopolized and highly taxed. Colonists said to hell with your taxes, and to hell with tea. It was an act of sacrifice and a slap in the face to Britan. People loved tea in the 1700's. It was one of the few luxuries that the colonists could afford. Instead of stealing it for their own, they essentially destroyed it as if to say "we don't need you" and it served as a catalyst for the revolution.

Sending teabags in the mail is cowardly in comparison if you ask me. Doing this will only put pressure on the mail system to hire more government workers and more flunkies to work in the mail room in D.C.

Dog

I don't think it's meant to be an exact comparison with the original tea party and everything that stood for. I wouldn't call it cowardly though the thought of sending a message to Washington individually to try and make a statement. I agree with Don, the computer is much more efficient.

Our emails are screened like the envelopes with the tea bags, picture of a tea bag, whatever...the question is, what measures do people need to take to get OUR governments attention? Mailing out a tea bag or riots in the streets? Than what? Maybe a tea bag is a good start? I know, it sounds stupid. Anyone got any ideas?

Glenn Beck has Barney Frank on his show today at 5pm EST.  I think that might be interesting.

Squirl

This was that santelli spiel.  The "forget bailing out the loser homeowners."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/29283701

He had a great audience of Chicago traders.  Sorry, I refuse to be a pawn of traders and big business.  The problem with his logic is the major banks put a moratorium on foreclosures for the next 3 months.  The surge in foreclosures last month was not from sub-prime but the close to 10% unemployment.  So it is basically calling people that could afford their homes and lost their jobs losers.

I agree with the moral hazard issue but the people complaining in the clip are the other people working for the banks receiving the bailout money.  So basically it's banks that knew better that want the bailout, but not the homeowners they lent money too.  I rather help the people losing their jobs now than the AIG execs., speculative traders, and Detroit CEOs.  IIRC the bill that they are complaining about is the one that allows a bankruptcy judge to adjust the balance or payments of the mortgage.  This would force the bank to take the loss instead of the home owner.  In my book it is a question of balance.  Who do you hold more responsible the banker or homeowner?  I hold the sophisticated bankers that was the gatekeeper of the money more responsible.  I have a background in finance.  I know better than to give someone more money than they could afford to pay back.  So did they.

"I am sick of Congress raking CEO's over the coals while they, themselves, have defaulted on their taxes."

Two wrongs don't make a right in my book.  The CEOs should still be raked over the coals.  So should congress.
Notice that no where do they mention the near trillion dollars spent on the banks, but they mention the 20-30 million allotted to home owners. (.000003%) This is by the banks for the banks.

Redoverfarm

I think the date is a little off on the delivery.  It should be sent to arrive on April 1st and they can honestly say they are the April Fool, May Fool and the rest of the year as far as we are concerned. By the way this is what Merriam Webster defines fool " a person lacking in judgment or prudence".  If the shoe fits.