What The Heck is this guy thinking?

Started by Jimmy C., July 01, 2005, 10:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy C.

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Jens

is that a single wide mobile, or are you just happy to see me?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Bart_Cubbins

We got ourselves a real nice view of the river from up here. You would not believe the deal we got on the land. The county didn't want it anymore after the bridge got washed out...

Amanda_931

Or, this looks like the only place we can set Mama's place, and if her dopey 2nd husband lies on the couch close to the trailer pole, maybe his 350 pounds will make the whole thing fall over and kill the S.O.B.

(why else have they put those poles along the far edge and in the middle)

That said, I've seen some around here durned close to that much of a slope.

JRR

I wish I could have watch(ed?) them put the trailer in position.   Some fine parking job!

Leo

West Virginia or nearby,I love that state there creativity never ceases to amaze

PEG688

Jee That's my house  :o  Sike  ;) HTBH  ;)PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Amanda_931

Really serious forklift--pair of forklifts (if they didn't turn themselves over on that kind of slope), crane, helicopter?  All sound awfully expensive for a $10-15k singlewide.   Jacks and poles, with the concrete pillars built later?

I got stopped on the highway once when a cellphone tower was brought over it by helicopter.  Amazing.  One of the few times I've not minded being stopped in traffic.

DavidLeBlanc

There was a trailer "on stilts" just like this on the highway between Charlotte and Ashville, NC. in the late 1980's.

I've often wondered how they got it up there! ;)

michael lopiccolo

Next year we are planin on puttin in a swimin pool,my son a high diver.....

John Raabe

It is an interesting image.

A very simple thought: "Hey let's put a single wide mobile on stilts out over the bank" starts out sounding reasonable.

I'm sure it wasn't as easy to do as the idea implied.

Someone must have built some fantastic cribbing to hold that thing up in the air while the pillars were built. Or do you build the thing with a platform on top and then drive or use a crane to get the mobile out on to it? (Doesn't look that way in the image.)

Either way, you have to respect the perseverance needed to actually pull this off.

Makes building a house on flat land look like nothing.

(Another thought: Do you think this might have been site built? - with a really long ladder?)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

How about a little mental exercise ???  

Engineers, homebuilders, designers -or anyone else with an interest.  Pertend I jus' bot this thing from my brother-in-law, Enos, over in Hog Holler fer 50 bucks that I'm gonna pay im next year, cuz he's gitten a deevorce.  How do I git it level using the above pictured materials so Betty Lou don't feel like she's gonna roll off the bed ???   Timbers as necessary - scrap materials as necessary.  Nothin' bigger than a  small to medium tractor (or mobile home moving truck) such as you may find here on redneck acres ranch.  Fairly safe is good enuf.  Keep in mind thet there's lots more of us where I come frum 'n Betty Lou don't rightly care if it's me or my cousin, Lenny.  

I could have it in place with no crane in a few hours or less under conditions that look like they may apply to this site, foundation being in place already.

I don't know how they did it but I know a way--before I tell mine how about some ideas from you guys.

Mine would require some materials that may be under the trailer, a couple good ol' mountain redneck boys an' my John Deere - possibly could use my beat up 4 wheel drive if the gun rack don't git in my line o' sight.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

I expect that you could raise it bit by bit, a little too high, shoring as you go, then tilting the concrete posts into place, bringing it back down.

I've heard stories of Ianto Evans doing that with a roof on a cob house (built it way on up, then the house walls, lowered the roof onto the house)  

glenn kangiser

That may be possible Amanda, with enough help and time, but I think that I, Bubba and Enos could beat your time.  Actually I think we could do it in about an hour- except for minor details.  Don't forget, I would have the columns in place- grouted, reinforced and braced.  Note there is an x brace in the picture.

I estimate the weight of each of the tall columns to be around 2000 lbs.  You may need some more machinery.  Bubba is happy with just the John Deere.

Another consideration is that the frame is designed to be supported in the middle with axles.   If you pick it up from the two ends it may buckle in the middle and we'll have to call the paramedics to git Betty Lou out 'cause you know she don't git outa bed 'til noon.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

michael lopiccolo

Glenn,
    foundation in place already, and you drove this thing in with you r cuzins....without a crane....maybe they backed  this thing up to the lowest part of the foundation, used the  scissor braces to keep it above the piers, and walked it out ,until it was ready to lower on the  foundation,I wouldnt want to be the one under this ,as it was  moving...or not

glenn kangiser

I think yur gitten close, Michael.  I think we can do it pretty safely, if Bubba jis' lays off the corn licker fer the night so he kin drive the John Deere straight in the mornin'.

There are a couple things I would do to make sure this project was able to be done successfully and cheaply.

We don't want the crane as one big enough to do this would cost $200 or more per hour plus move in fees and probably couldn't git out here to Redneck Acres anyhow.

Leo

this is a easy one,mind over matter.ok a very  large skidder under the axle area .

jon mankowski

I just figure the single wide is (was) near the beach in Florida

Daddymem

Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

John Raabe

I'm still waiting for Glenn to tell us how he would do it.

Shuuu.... I think the master is about to speak....  ;)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

I'm building suspense. ;D

Also waiting for others to post some of their ideas.  I promise I won't rip them off. :)

glenn kangiser

Ok--here's what I'd do to get Betty Lou's bedroom 15' off the ground so she can't jump out the window.

I'd attach beams (wood or steel of proper size) to the tops of the columns lengthwise to make a track about the same elevation above the ground at the high point as the trailer frame is off the ground.  

Tops of beams must be clean like a railroad track.  Plumbing etc under the trailer that protrudes below the frame must be removed if it won't clear.  

The tractor lift can adjust for some clearance deviation but the less the better.  For this method to work the top of the hill (right  side of picture) should  be fairly well graded for the length of the trailer and tractor.  Shorter is harder but could be done.

The trailer can be backed out to the point where the axles contact the beams on top the columns.  At this point the tail end will be near 1/2 way over the foundation frame. Pipe rollers (simple pieces of pipe of desired diameter- probably 1 to 2" dia) can now be inserted between the trailer frame and the foundation framing.  They would work best going across both frames with some to spare at the ends.  Pipes must be square with the foundation or the load will shift to the side.  Axles must be removed now so trailer can be pushed out over frame.  The tractor hydraulics will now support the offset weight at the center of the frame until it is pushed over the foundation framing.   Adjustments may have to be made with a porta- power, jack, chain hoist or come along as moving progresses.  It may be necessary to tie columns together or x brace them if side loading to move trailer over.  Pipe roller angle to frame can probably be adjusted to move trailer left or right with a sledge hammer.  Communication must be kept with the person backing the tractor at all times.

With some scrap materials a couple of dollies with edge  guides could be made to go between the frame and framing which should simplify keeping it on track.

When in position jack up slightly and pull out the rollers or dollies.  This would probably turn into one of those hour jobs that takes all day.

Yeah-- I'm fulla' bull but it might work.  I'm sure it's not the only way and maybe not the best way.  We use pipe rollers to move heavy steel beams on jobs where there is no forklift access sometimes. ;D

jonsey/downunder

I knew that! ;D
jonsey

Opp's, sorry, NSW Australia  :D
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

glenn kangiser

Kinda convoluted, but but theoretically possible, huh, Jonesy.

BTW -I gotta work today and tomorrow so will be a bit scarce.  Everybody play nice. ;D

Amanda_931

Oh, dear, we got caught not thinking outside the box again.