Help with sourcing this type of deck railing...

Started by MikeT, May 01, 2008, 10:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I was driving via another route to work yesterday when I noticed this deck railing construction that I very intrigued with.  I was thinking of going with cables, but I know they are pricey.  Then I spied this:

It looks like a welded fence of some sort.  I went to a farm supply place and looked around but didn't find it.  I asked and showed this picture and the guy thought that another place might have it, but they were out. 

Does anyone know what I would call this? 

I like the idea that it appears easy to install and is easy to see through.

Thanks as always.

mt

glenn kangiser

I was thinking Hog Panels, Mike, but could be bull panels or something similar.

http://www.stockyardsupply.com/page3/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MikeT

The hog panels I keep finding have decreasing sized grids.  I think I am on the right track with finding these at a farm supply place, but I gotta keep looking. 

PEG688

I think we call it horse panel , no kidding but googling doesn't get the result we're after. I try to remember to check at the lumber yard tomorrow. It's about $70.00 a sheet , 6' x12' IIRC , we looked at using it recently but the client decided on something else. I guess it was more or less a "drill" on thier part to ensure they "got thier money's worth " makin me jump thru ANOTHER hoop that is  :( ::)   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

considerations

MT - around here we call it cattle panels.  I think they are usually about 4-5' by 15'.

Redoverfarm

MikeT  Yes those are livestock panels.  They come in a variety of sizes.  There are cattle panels which are 52" X 16' for about $18 @ panel.  There are also pig panels which I think are 36" X 16' for about $26@ and there is a combination which incorporates the two into one. Not real sure what the price and size available on these.  We just bought 6 cattle panels at Southern States last week on sale for $15.99@. If you are going with a long span you should have intermediate post or bracing every so often as they are not that rigid in longer runs. 

ScottA