Inventive use of whole trees in these owner/designed/built structures.

Started by John Raabe, November 06, 2009, 07:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

FrankInWI

god helps those who help them selves

MountainDon

Great minds.... and all that Frank.     :D :D

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=7903.msg101162#msg101162

John beat you by 3 hours 1 minute.  

(I merged Frank's topic with John's for ease of following the though)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Whitlock

Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Sassy

Way cool!  I really like the ladder & railing for the loft   8)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

speedfunk

Don_P

The reciprocal roofs are pretty neat. I was playing with some sticks the other day and mocked one up, then stood on it.

This is another earlier frame based on similar concepts, this is DaVinci's temporary bridge. I realized some purlins and common rafters formed an acceptable roof. This could be a bent constructed clearspan house frame of small diameter logs.

poppy

So Don, is the pic. before or after you stood on it?  ;)

Gotta like DaVinci.  I have always wondered how one could incorporate a bridge design into a house structure.

Do you have too much time on your hands?

Don_P

Even better, no TV  :D

That roof held, but I could tell it was heavily overloaded. I  had mocked it up to try to understand how they work. There is one in speedfunk's post above. I then calculated the breaking load on the model roof system and realized it was mighty close. I stood on it and had my wife start handing me books. Low tech but this is what it looks like after failure, a bending and then horizontal shear failure. I did several more and had all bending failures.

I gotta admit, in the wintertime, kindling is coming in and it just doesn't seem right not to play with it one last time  ;D.

This is another "hand in hand" frame. The floor system in Independence Hall is based on this beam arrangement.

The concept behind these is neat, they are self supporting. A reciprocal frame is a "closed circuit which is self supporting". In old floor designs it was a 2 dimensional structure often called "grillage". In more recent designs roofs are being framed in 3 dimensions.

At our snow load I figured up a small carport type structure out of logs on the DaVinci model. At ~24' wide x 16' deep it would take 3 bents using 6" minimum dia logs 10' long. 21 of those, 12 long purlin logs and rafter logs. Not a large pile, and of forest thinnings diameter.

speedfunk

Don, I find it impressive that it held you up, per scale thats alot of downward force.  I've always wanted a nice circular earthbag walled cabin (read 16' diameter) with a reciprocal roof of raw logs.  A nice, strong structure.  I wonder how deb feels about packing bags with earth  d*