When you can't do it ALL

Started by FrankInWI, October 16, 2007, 09:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankInWI

:) Good news.... son and I spent a week on our garage / bonus room and we have the garage framed in.  Learned a LOT from the experience, my son Ben is fantastic....but he's a beefy guy who can focus a little more on quality / detail.  Fantastic son otherwise.
This isn't our 1 1/2 yet (except for the future common wall), but much of what I gleaned from John's plans, and the great forum here have made all this possible.  I don't think I would have actually done this without Country Plans and all you great folks.

:( Not so good news.... my NAM wounds and early polio are getting the better of my "60 this year" body.  My back was just terrible this week, etc.  Then on top of it all I was just pulled off my Lipitor cause it was destroying my muscles  :-/.  (but I built muscles back, by the end of the week I could carry stuff I couldn't at the beggining of the week!).

A ray of light.... I was told of a local guy who does building/ framing very reasonably.  We're now talking about him and a few guys putting up the gambrel trusses, framing the dormers and doing the rest in a few days with a crew of 3.  I want to do this with my son, but I really got to look at my physical issues, the coming winter, the tall building and steep roof.....etc.   He gave me a price today, it's really good. $25 / hr. for each of a three man crew, and he thinks he can get it all done and into shingling in 2 days. ....with a lift ($500+).  

I may jump at this, get it all framed in, then finish it off with Ben.   I guess my point is that many good people visit here and I don't know if all do or even can do it all.  Maybe not, I bet I am still welcome, and I think they would still be too, right?  

We really need an upgrade from the trailer we got for free 4 years ago!

god helps those who help them selves

glenn kangiser

Doesn't make any difference, Frank.  Everyone has different abilities and issues to deal with.  We are even interested in seeing how you overcome obstacles - it could give others ideas of how to get their project done.  Carry on as you can -- keep us updated on your progress.

Even the rate information you just provided gives others ideas of what it costs in some areas so they can know what to expect or look for bargains on their projects too.

Nobody is superman --- well --OK-- got me there--- I have been known to scale a few tall buildings, but then again -- we are not talking about me here. ::)  -- never mind-- that is sometimes a bit harder for me too, but the point is - we all just try to do the best we can and one way or another , git 'er done.  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Good to hear about your progress and the confidence you've gained Frank.

I hear you loud and clear about the limits time and experience place on the body. I have a "motorcycle" knee and shoulder that frequently remind me of the limits of my 61+ body when I otherwise forget about them. I'm not sure what I'd do without my air nailers.

I don't think it matter how much anyone can do on their own building. It's always nice to have a better idea of how something is done even if you end up farming out the job. Plus it gives you a reference point, helps to calibrate the BS meter.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jens

Yeah Glen, but you don't do it in a single bound!  Doesn't make any difference to me if you do it all yourself or not.  I have the blessing of a young age upon me, and I still need help (my wife would say serious help, but in a different way) sometimes.  If there is one thing I know for sure, it is that we are all in this game of life together.  My friends call me a communist because of my ideas that people should help eachother out, not keep them down for the sake of their own progress.  Call me what you want, I don't care.   :)  I have told people plenty of times, that the biggest mistake one can make on any new venture is to be too proud to ask for help when you need it.  That is a sure path to frustration, failure, and a lack of self-confidence IMO.  None of us were born with all the skills we need in this life...ok, maybe Glen :)
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

glenn kangiser

That's the part I forgot, Jens.  I was supposed to do it in a single bound. :-/

Born with it -- maybe, but I have to work at it, study, try, and discover it is there -- the directions don't seem to be in the operators manual. :-? :)  

...and it is always easier with help.  Sometimes I just let a pro do things for me --that I know I can do, because he can do it faster and better.  Example - I overhauled a few automatic transmissions years ago while working as a mechanic for Dodge -1970-, but the local pro in the business did my Jeep trans in two days, had all the tools and the knowledge and only charged about $400 labor.  The smart move was to let him do it. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PA-Builder

Frank,

When I built my cabin, it was a one man show.  With winter and snow a few weeks away, I had to get two guys to do the shingles, and then the steel siding.  Those two parts of the project were not realistic for a 50+ person working alone.  Sounds like you got a good deal with those framers.  I would not hesitate to sign them up !

Okie_Bob

Hey Frank, dittos on all the above. I know I'd love to see more pics and feel sure everyone else would as well. Now go get those framers!
Okie Bob (64+ still working on it)

glenn kangiser

It's a good thing when you wake up and you're still on top of the ground, eh?, BoB? :-? :)

Redoverfarm

Glenn I always say " be thankful when you wake up that you are on the right side of the grass".

I know of very few construction projects that are completed by just one individual. There are just too many things that are just akward to handle yourself or you are out of your area of expertise.

I had a friend that has a construction company and he agreed to put on my metal roof. It took them two days and would have probably took me two weeks by myself. That is providing that I wouldn't have to wait on my re-order to replace the ones that got away from me and hit the ground.

Country living has it's advantages.  There are always neighbors( and we actually know who they are and their names) willing to give a hand. Of course the price is not cheap because you don't know what kind of project that they will get into next and call for a helping hand.