Barn Door Question...

Started by MountainDon, July 15, 2012, 07:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

... the rolling to one side along the exterior wall variety of barn door.

Tractor supply has the hardware, rails, rollers, etc. that is required. But I'm wondering what makes the best door? What materials for example; how the pieces are connected (carriage bolts are better than nails I imagine). Any hints?   I haven't committed to building a small barn yet, but an thinking of what door I'd like. It would be for iron horses, not the living variety.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Usually carriage bolts.  On my little wood shop, it gets lots of sun and they painted T&G boards on a board frams.  As old as they are I would think fir boards.  I know they are pretty sound yet and they were made in the thirties.  We moved it here the developer gave it to me when my dad sold his little ten acre place.  It sat  there as it does now facing east.  The doors have worked very well.   [cool]

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

Don you might look around for a roll up door.  My parents got a storage building with one and it sure is nice.  Easy to operate and no doors to get in the way.  I posted a picture of it here   http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3613.msg133699#msg133699

rick91351

If it were me and I could find a roll up I would go that way.  I seen some on Craigslist here that were a steal.  But maybe that is how they..... ???

The roller barn doors work well.  But they do not seal the best.  I added a couple things that can be used to pull them in tight.  Then when I added real heat to my wood shop I framed a faux wall in that doorway that can be removed.  So is like three sections of plywood faced conventional frame and insulated panels that can come right out when they have to.  Works well and the only reason I did that was the real heated shop........ ;)       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

JRR

If you have the wall space, I like the overhead roller supported doors.  No counterweights or springs.  No blocking of overhead lights or vents.  Can be built very heavily ... and still fairly easy to open and close.

mountainlady1956

We put the roll-up type door on ours along with a ramp. That way we could roll right on in with the mower or whatever ;D It was easier than the roller one to open and close. I think it held up better too!

hpinson

I'm really liking the idea of a sliding six foot barn door as a main entrance in my cabin design. I've been looking at some Japanese buildings that incorporate this idea (picked up the idea from the cabin in the movie "My Neighbor Tortoro").  I like the idea of making your living space open to the air when conditions permit. 

Assuming it is not causing a structural weakness, is there any reason in terms of IBC code why this would be a problem?

This gives some idea (from the movie):