Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Well things just got harder at the cabin for me :(

You see, when we installed the grey water drain system, which works great, we did it for weekend trips and week long get aways primarily in the warmer months.  It wasn't intended to be a full time system but it did work in the warmer months just fine for one person.   It worked so well I didn't give it much thought.  After all, if I could do dishes, take a shower, brush my teeth etc then I had nothing to worry about.  The grey water drain system was designed to handle that kind of load no problem, even twice that and could easily be expanded to hand more.

However, I hadn't counted on it freezing solid after two months of freezing weather and I should have.  I guess I just had too much on my mind and too much to do with too little time.  So here I am with the settling tank completely frozen.  As far as I can tell there is about 50 gallons of frozen solid grey water in there.  What's worse is that I hadn't realized (and clearly didn't have the common sense to consider) that the tank was freezing up.  Sure I new it had some ice on it but when it was really cold it only had a light skim of ice on top.  Probably because I was using it and the water was flowing though it constantly melting the top layer and allowing it to refreeze and then melting it again.  However I was gone for three weeks and I guess the lack of use allowed it to freeze completely and since I didn't know I kept adding to it...and that water froze in the 4" main....an I'm sure more water froze up in the 1 1'/2 inch pipes...

My guess is I have no grey water drain now for at least 2 to 3 months or longer....worse yet?  It's on the North side of our cabin :(  Had I thought about it I would have placed it on the South side so it could get warm from the sun and thaw when it was cold...I might also have drained it some before leaving for a few weeks.

So now I'll have to remove the trap from the sink in the kitchen and put a bucket under it for grey water.  I can do the same for the tub too (that's what I did before I hooked it up to the drain system) so I can at least still have showers though they will be always a challenge since I'll have to go out and drain the bucket before having another (meaning each day I'll had to add that to my routine)....if I do it when it is not frozen I can dump down the outhouse, at least until it fills with ice too!

Life at the cabin full time aint ever easy.

OlJarhead

It appears that only the top 6" of the tank is frozen.  The problem is that the inlet and exit are there also -- so frozen.

I believe the solution (in the late spring) will be to dig up the system and lower it by a second tank.  I can excavate down about 3 more feet and add a lower tank section (the manufacturer makes these) and then lower the outlet by a foot or more and lower the dry sump by the same.  This way I'll have the inlet coming in well above any freezing level and the outlet may also then be low enough to allow water to flow out below the freeze point.

I can then insulate the inlet pipe as well as the top 2 or 3 feet of the tank and cover it with an insulated lid.  I'll also insulate the top of the dry sump.

I think if I do this and keep the pipes all insulated then I shouldn't run into this problem next winter.  My hope is to be able to live here full time for at least another 18 months or so.  Then perhaps we can sell out home down south and buy one where I work.  Then the cabin can go back to being a vacation home!

OlJarhead

Not to be outdown I found my wash tubs and was able to do dishes, wash up, shave and generally feel civilized again ;)

It's amazing how something so simple can feel so great!

rick91351

Quote from: OlJarhead on January 02, 2014, 01:41:21 PM
Not to be outdown I found my wash tubs and was able to do dishes, wash up, shave and generally feel civilized again ;)

It's amazing how something so simple can feel so great!

BOY OH BOY OJ if that is not the truth.  Back when I was a 'back woods rat' nothing felt so good as a nice hot bath or shower and a shave. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Quote from: rick91351 on January 02, 2014, 01:48:52 PM

BOY OH BOY OJ if that is not the truth.  Back when I was a 'back woods rat' nothing felt so good as a nice hot bath or shower and a shave.

Using tubs in a sink isn't quite as nice as a hot bath or shower but it's a sight lot better than a canteen cup, a rag and a pint of water!  This old marine can attest to that ;)

MountainDon

Re the info from FerrelGas that you can run the tank dry....  It may vary by state I suppose, but here in NM if you run a stationary tank completely down to zero content the propane company can not fill the tank until the system has been checked for leaks. I would do a double check on that before getting it down to empty.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MountainDon on January 03, 2014, 02:58:10 PM
Re the info from FerrelGas that you can run the tank dry....  It may vary by state I suppose, but here in NM if you run a stationary tank completely down to zero content the propane company can not fill the tank until the system has been checked for leaks. I would do a double check on that before getting it down to empty.

Here they do not like it to get below 20%.  Give or take a little.

rick91351

Hey thanks I did not know that.  Good to know.... 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

I checked with them and all they said was that the air had to be purged from the lines if the tank is completely empty -- which is of course ALWAYS the case.  Why?  Pilot lights can't light until the air is purged from the line which is usually done by opening the line until the propane pushes all the air out.

OlJarhead

Quiet back here at the the cabin. It;'s warming up nicely though and already up to 64 degrees (it was 59 when I arrived). The power is good though the generator will kick on this evening as it usually does when I return.

I'll have to get more wood in soon and make sure I have everything else out of the truck (my usual routine) and then it will be dark and time to make dinner and settle in for the evening.

I'll admit that it's a bit lonely, specially when I first return and I always miss my lovely wife while I'm gone but the cabin has become a second home for me over the last 4 years, specially the last few months and it is becoming much easier to arrive as it's kept warm by the back up heat, the water works and while the stove can be a bear to start after a long break it's going nicely now an warming up the place well.

It's also very nice to be able to work from here on afternoons like today as the internet works pretty well ad I can get on the VPN easily enough so all systems are available here as if I were in the office

Started work on the speaker boxes sort of -- designed them and started working on them -- and hope to have both car speakers mounted in the ceiling by weeks end or at least the weekend. This weekend I plan to do some milling also provided the weather agrees.

OlJarhead

The warm weather has struck!  It seems a storm on the coast caused a Chinook affect (my guess since it's not uncommon) and we're experiencing the benefit!  It was 39 when I last checked and we've had some melting!  [cool]  I heard the grey water drain and the sewer pipe may also have melted some -- all good news for me.

On the other hand whenever we get  Chinook the wind picks up and this is no exception!  I'm getting some big gusts so will have to keep and eye on the trees in case they decide to come down.

rick91351

Warm and windy here as well OJ for another day then promises to get cold at night.  This global warming here is not bad just need moisture....

OlJarhead

hahah Global Warming  d* Just like the global warming that gave us -10 to -15 degree nights just a few short weeks ago....I heard recently the same principle can be used to show the economy is improving:  we're losing jobs so it's getting better ;)  d* ???

This is quite normal out here but I hadn't expected it this winter (I should have).  It's what we call a Chinook an always happens after a big dump of moisture on the coast, it's also (I realized yesterday) what causes all the ice build up on my road out of here.  The warm Chinook winds thaw the snow and leave slush and water on top of ice, then the night time temps below freezing turn it into solid ice -- repeat until it's freezing again day and night and you have a THICK layer of dangerous ice on the road.

I plowed a bunch with the tractor but will have to chain up for the next month or so unless I get lucky.

OlJarhead

This is what my commute looked like this week ;)

The result of yesterday's melt off and plowing.  I hope to get more plowing done today and while I'd like to also buck up some logs and drag them to the mill I just won't have the time :(  Heck, I still need to get into the back room and try to change out some fans!  Sheesh,  not enough time and it's snowing again.

This is where I spend most of my time.  I hate the dust but I think it won't get better until I get the tool shed built an the deck as well as complete the interior.  Then, at least, I'll not be coming in and out looking for tools or parts and the insulation won't be able to contribute to the dust and of course, the deck will act as a buffer.  I plan to put those but brushes on the deck so boots can be cleaned off before entering the porch, then they come off!  With luck I'll be able to keep the floor clean once I install it ;)

OlJarhead

I'm really getting this wood stove down :)  Here are some of the things I've learned living with a Vermont Casings full time as my only source of heat:

1.  Clean out the ash box daily.
2.  When the stove is reasonably cool an after 2-3 days of use in a row remove the air intake plate an brush out any ash that's in there.  If completely cool vacuum out the ashes that collect in the air ducts (I do this every week or two).
3.  Once you have the place warm and a very good bed of coals tamp the stove down all the way after adding a good round or two.
4.  Before bed put in a good round and tamp down the stove.
5.  Use half seasoned wood when the stove is hot and the cabin warm enough.  This will extend the burn time.
6.  Use drier lint to start the stove with good pine kindling and a split.
7.  Keep lots of 2-3 inch splits for getting the coals built up after the stove is lit and running well
8.  Small pine limbs make good small pieces for initial burn and start up.

I find that I can leave the stove with a full bed of coals and a good round (and maybe a split beside it if there is room) for 10 hours and it will be hot with some coals still burning after 10 hrs.  This is key for me as I leave the cabin around 6am and return around 4:30pm.  Having a hot stove with some hot coals still in it when I get back home from work makes it much easier to start and the cabin temperature in below freezing weather remains about 63 degrees.  It still takes a couple hours to get the temp back up closer to 70 but when it's 26F outside an 63F inside after being gone for over 10 hours it's pretty nice and I can wait a couple more to get it above 65 (probably takes 3 to approach 70).

I still have finish work to do on the ceiling and some missing insulation so I suspect that when the cabin is finished I will have no problem maintaining a warm inside temp even when I am gone!

One a side note I have had no problems with the stove during the night when I shut the window and go to bed.  I leave the window open in the evening (just a crack) to allow more air to get into the cabin but have learned it isn't nearly as tight as I thought it was!  I still plan to install the outside air intake but am grateful I haven't had any issue without it.

On another note, the KozyWorld vent free heater has been a god send for me!  I have no worries about moisture as I keep a pot on the stove with 1 1/2 gallons of water in it at al times and that has to add a LOT more moisture than the propane heater might and while I don't us the heater when I am at the cabin except when warming it up after a period away or perhaps some day in an emergency in extreme temps outside (haven't had to yet even with -12 to -15F nights but who knows right?) but it has not been a problem.  I used a site to calculate the required cubic feet of volume in an enclosed space for it's use and I'm about double what it requires so that may have something to do with it.  Again, I don't use the heater when I'm hear though (unless as mentioned if I had an emergency like if the stove went out and I wasn't well and it was very cold outside etc) but knowing that I could is always nice.

OlJarhead

Correction, 1 hour to 65F and two hours to 70F :)

OlJarhead

Getting some milling done finally.

The tractor makes loading easy but the going is slow otherwise

Probably the toughest part of winter milling is the frozen logs though it's always tough milling alone

Big Fir log on the mill.  I'm milling siding for my new room.

new land owner

I have the same stove and it seems that I have to keep the door open slightly to get the fire going. 

Do you have the same problem?

OlJarhead

Quote from: new land owner on January 26, 2014, 09:54:05 AM
I have the same stove and it seems that I have to keep the door open slightly to get the fire going. 

Do you have the same problem?

For the first few minutes perhaps and only if the stove hasn't been cleaned.  There is a steel plate right in front of the door on the floor of the stove with a screw in it.  Remove the screw and lift the plate.  The first time it might be hard because they put some hitemp silicone or glue on it (this is a Vermont Castings officially recommended cleaning procedure) then brush out the dust that has gathered under the plate.  Once done, if the stove has not run for a while and is completely cool, vacuum out the air ducts which can get clogged with ash over time.  Finally put the plate back (I do not glue back down as I remove it often).

You will be amazed ;)

new land owner

Thanks, I will give it a try next time I go to camp.

OlJarhead

You won't regret :)  I live with my Vermont Aspen full time now and find that I have to clean the ash pan every couple days or so (I burn a lot of pine) and I sweep the chimney every couple months too.  I also burn a mix of woods with the driest splits first when getting the cabin warmed up after being gone, then dry rounds once I have a good bed of coals and don't need as much heat from the box to keep the cabin at comfortable temps.

I also debark the firewood of the thickest barks (pine is bad). 

At night I shut the stove down all the way and let it smoulder through the night.  If I don't care about the morning temp in the cabin then I don't get up to stoke it at night because I can get it burning for a good 10 hours these days :)  But to do that I have to let the cabin temp drop to about 63F which I prefer not to do and then I have to restart it if I'm unlucky and it completely burns out early and with only an hour to get ready and head to work I don't want to do that so I usually get up once or twice in th night to fill it back up

OlJarhead

Coldest night at the cabin so far! I kept the stove going with the damper all the way open not something I usually do) and the backup heater came on several times! When I got up this morning it was 57F inside the cabin which is 5 to 10 degrees cooler than usual. I have the stove going and the backup heater going and it's now up to 60 in here.

No idea yet what outside temps are but down in the valley below me it's -9F (-22.7C for my Canuck friends). So ya, it's cold. Going to be colder tonight too but I'll clean out the stove and keep it going as hot as I can all night.

I also dragged out my 0 degree sleeping bag that Darci and I like to use a blanket in colder weather but that I don't normally need at the cabin and put it over the bed. I was pretty warm under the covers but getting up to stoke the stove was a bit chilly! As was my morning bath! lol

dablack

I really appreciate the reporting on the use of your VC.  I've never used anything like that and like to hear how it goes.

thanks
Austin

MountainDon

Yes, reports of how devices and techniques perform are always good. With some things like heating or air conditioning you do have to consider the building footprint, whether one floor with 8 ft ceiling vs. cathedral ceiling and loft space, insulation levels, number of windows, type, quality, and probably more.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Are you getting any snow up your way?  They are penciling in a good storm here finely than might pull us up to 60 -70% of normal.  It is because of a good flow of moist tropical air and the cold temps you are having.  Thanks  [cool]  Our temps are dipping into the single digits as well with a light snow falling.  We might have a a foot on the ground now maybe.   :-\